Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Curmudgeon IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Lukie wrote: reminds me of Duggan's number 9.
You just gave it the kiss of death :)

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Wow... no way. Duggan's is like what Lakeport is to Budweiser.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

RayOhm wrote:
Wow... no way. Duggan's is like what Lakeport is to Budweiser.
Couldn't agree more. It is decent on cask, average (at best) on tap and terrible in bottles.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I thought #9 was pretty damned mediocre when I tried it at the brewpub. #99 was even worse. The weisse was possibly the worst I've had, even worse than Circus Boy. Duggans really failed to impress when I went there. The only beer I enjoyed on my visit was the stout.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

mintjellie wrote:I thought #9 was pretty damned mediocre when I tried it at the brewpub. #99 was even worse. The weisse was possibly the worst I've had, even worse than Circus Boy. Duggans really failed to impress when I went there. The only beer I enjoyed on my visit was the stout.
Same here. Last time I was there I vowed to never go back. Nothing there is worth going out of my way for and I have tried about 6 or 7 of their offerings.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

mintjellie wrote:I thought #9 was pretty damned mediocre when I tried it at the brewpub. #99 was even worse. The weisse was possibly the worst I've had, even worse than Circus Boy. Duggans really failed to impress when I went there. The only beer I enjoyed on my visit was the stout.
+1. Hate to be negative but I just never understood what was supposed to be so good about Duggan's, especially after the whole serving-size fiasco.

TJ

Post by TJ »

I don't get the appeal of Duggan's. The Asian Lager and Stout are decent. The rest that I have had are mostly meh and didn't inspire me to want to explore any further offerings. The serving sizes are comical. The number nine doesn't do a thing for me. The food was merely okay. I had bad service both times I was there. But other than that, yeah. No real complaints.

heebes

Post by heebes »

Thanks to Matt there is plenty of this amazing fresh beer at my otherwise fairly boring store. The best part about it is it was bottled two days ago, I don't think I've ever tried a beer that fresh from bottling. Great work from Grand River all round!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

heebes wrote:Thanks to Matt there is plenty of this amazing fresh beer at my otherwise fairly boring store. The best part about it is it was bottled two days ago, I don't think I've ever tried a beer that fresh from bottling. Great work from Grand River all round!
happy to help when i can :D

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Matt - any idea if this will make it to Mississauga?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Matt - any idea if this will make it to Mississauga?
what store #?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

matt7215 wrote:
what store #?
Preferably one of these:

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
what store #?
Preferably one of these:

ill get on it starting monday

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

matt7215 wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
matt7215 wrote: what store #?
Preferably one of these:

ill get on it starting monday
As always, thanks!

Streets

Post by Streets »

matt7215 wrote: happy to help when i can :D
Any chance of getting some Curmudgeon into #249? They carry Knife and also had Gun, but I haven't seen any IPA there yet... :(

I usually end up buying out most of the Knife stock myself, but I've been a bit neglectful this month due to all the great seasonal releases.