Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

BLACK OAK PALE ALE

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Rumrunner

BLACK OAK PALE ALE

Post by Rumrunner »

I am a fan of Pale Ales and tried the Black Oak Pale Ale for the first time. I really enjoyed it, finding it well balanced and hoppy. I would like to have this as a regular member of my fridge.

Problem is it is only at 4 LCBO's downtown. Only 1 is fairly close to Liberty Village (Queens Quay) and they do not stock many

I see that a beer store that I pass regularly does carry this, and in 12 packs, but I am worried that it may not be as fresh as what the LCBO carries. Anyone have any experience with buying craft beer from The Beer Store?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I've bought a number of micros from the beerstore, and have never had a problem with quality or freshness. The one I use is by the Summerhill LCBO, and I think it has a good turnover of stock, so there really shouldn't be any quality issues. They also stock fresh Weihenstephaner :wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

In my Beaches area TBS the Black Oak, King, McAuslan etc all sell at a fair pace, so they rarely disappoint. It probably depends on the (wealth/taste/awareness) demography of where you happen to shop.

Date codes are your best bet to avoid the dreaded "Cardboard Beer Taste."
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Rumrunner wrote:I see that a beer store that I pass regularly does carry this, and in 12 packs, but I am worried that it may not be as fresh as what the LCBO carries. Anyone have any experience with buying craft beer from The Beer Store?
It's hit and miss really. You're best off finding one of the "walk-in" style beer stores, rather than the type where you order off the wall. If you're referring to the Brock St. Beer Store, I have had pretty good experiences with Black Oak stuff from them (the only thing I buy there - like you say, the closest LCBO to me that carries it is Queen's Quay). I'd say go for it, it's probably a safe bet at the Brock St. location. I've bought craft beer from other locations though, and it can be scary how old some things are. A good walk-in beer store is the one a bit further up the road at the Dufferin Mall (they also have a pretty decent craft selection), which I try to go to when it's a bit warmer (I'm on my bike).

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I've wanted to try this one for some time now..

Anyone in the Ottawa area know if it is ever available in these parts?

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Ralphus wrote:I've wanted to try this one for some time now..

Anyone in the Ottawa area know if it is ever available in these parts?
don't know if it is, but i'd be happy to trade you for some bottles. also, you might be able to convince a friendly store manager to get a case transferred. PM me if you'd like a trade.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Rumrunner wrote:... but I am worried that it may not be as fresh as what the LCBO carries. Anyone have any experience with buying craft beer from The Beer Store?
Anothter option is going to the brewery - now located near Kipling and the QEW - freshness there should be good!

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

lagerale wrote:
Rumrunner wrote:... but I am worried that it may not be as fresh as what the LCBO carries. Anyone have any experience with buying craft beer from The Beer Store?
Anothter option is going to the brewery - now located near Kipling and the QEW - freshness there should be good!
If you want fresh...

They were brewing the Pale Ale yesterday, I was told it would be ready in two weeks.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

toweringpine wrote:
lagerale wrote:
If you want fresh...

They were brewing the Pale Ale yesterday, I was told it would be ready in two weeks.
I'll meet you there in two weeks!!!

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Guys
We try to watch our stock in the Beer Store and LCBO.
Fortunately for the last month or two our stock in most stores has been run down and we've shipped very fresh beer.
Our big problem is we still keep on running out of beer while we're working on the new brewery.
We are only in the GTA for the time.
Ideally we will be getting into more LCBO's and Beer Stores.

Yes we will refresh the website soon.

Thanks for the support

Please help us to catch up by taking smaller sips of our beer.

Cheers
Ken

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

I live 50 miles from Toronto and I've never seen it at any LCBO or TBS accept on one occasion - in Brampton I think it was. I've bought it a few times at pubs - the Rebel House(?) and once had a bottle of their brown ale at Volo some years ago and I like both beers. If it were available locally I'd probably buy a six pack of the PA every other week for much of the year.

Another one unavailable near me is Durham ESB. I've enjoyed it at Smokeless Joe's a couple of times but never seen it at any LCBO or TBS; I've only seen their Signature Ale.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Philip1 wrote:Another one unavailable near me is Durham ESB. I've enjoyed it at Smokeless Joe's a couple of times but never seen it at any LCBO or TBS; I've only seen their Signature Ale.

That's their only beer availabe in bottle....so don't look too hard.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:
Please help us to catch up by taking smaller sips of our beer.

Cheers
Ken

In your dreams pal!!!!! Actually it was at a recent session at the Judge that I decided I needed to buy more for the house. Bottled isn't the same as poured pints but I'll take it.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I was able to try these today and they really are quite good. They are refreshing and they go down fast! Many thanks to tuqueboy and his offer to do a trade and help me out.