Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Big Wheel Deluxe Amber

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Amsterdam Big Wheel Deluxe Amber

Post by GregClow »

I was at the Canadian Restaurant & Foodservices Association trade show today, and there were a few breweries and importers pouring their beers for the restaurant and bar owners to try, including Mill St, Brick, Steelback, Amsterdam and Premier Brands. It was mostly the beers and brands that we're all familiar with, except one:

Amsterdam was launching a new beer called Big Wheel Deluxe Amber.

Here's the info from the press sheet:

-----

To master the Big Wheel takes patience, practice and desire. So does making the perfect Amber Beer.

Mr. Jamie Mistry, Amsterdam Brewmaster, has brewed a beer with the perfect balance. Carefully combining the boldness of a pale ale with the smoothness of an easy drinking lager to create a Deluxe Amber Beer we call Big Wheel.

Ingredients:
Brewed with a blend of imported Pale and Crystal malts for a bright Amber colour and sweet malt character. Dry hopped with a blend of UK hops to achieve a perfect balance of rounded malt and hop taste.

Taste Profile:
A full bodied robust taste that is perfectly balanced. Not too bitter or heavy. Initial malt and hop aromas in the nose balanced by roasted male and caramel flavours. Not overpowering with a slightly crisp finish.

-----

I should note that the "Big Wheel" in the name doesn't refer to the kid's toy, but to the penny-farthing bicycle being used for the logo.

The press sheet includes images of the bottle, can, and tap handle. Curiously, the Amsterdam name isn't prominent on any of them. The main colour of the packaging is green, with the bike logo in orange. Looks like the bottle will be green glass with printed logo, a la Steam Whistle. It also mentioned that the branded pint glasses for bars will have a laser etching in the bottom of the glass to enhance the bubbles.

As for the beer itself, it's alright. Seemed better than the Dutch Amber that I suspect it may be replacing, although that could be because I had a very fresh draught sample vs. the clear bottled Dutch Amber I've had in the past. As the press bumpf promises, it's well-balanced, with a decently hopped finish. I'll need to try a full serving to form a solid opinion, but it seems like an OK brew.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

GregClow wrote: I'll need to try a full serving to form a solid opinion, but it seems like an OK brew.
Well that's pretty much what Amsterdam does isn't it? OK beer that's really not in any way a stand out. Like the Flying Monkey thread I suspect this is marketing and rebranding a slight variant on an existing beer rather than a revolutionary new beer.

So many of the breweries in this province are so wholeheartedly committed to flashier marketing and yet still equally committed to mediocre and uninspired, safe beers...it's frankly depressing.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Excellent news. Another middle of the road offering for people who don't like the taste of beer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'm pretty sure I had this when they were in a testing phase. Four unlabelled taps were set up and a blind taste test was conducted to canvas the public's opinion on a new brew they had made, which was in the mix. I believe in addition to this new amber lager, its opponent were Creemore, Tankhouse and another Amsterdam brew. The Tankhouse was the hands-down winner. While the new beer was nice, it was pretty boring, and not my kind of drink. That said, it could be completely different to the iteration I had, although it does sound the same.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Another "unoffensive" amber/cream ale?? Not enough of this to go around I guess.

Tell ya what let's ask a marketing company who sell tooth paste, dish soap and deodorant what "new" beer people want...'K :roll:
Aventinus rules!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

GregClow wrote: I should note that the "Big Wheel" in the name doesn't refer to the kid's toy, but to the penny-farthing bicycle being used for the logo.
The kid's toy could be an interesting label/ad campaign:
http://www.zazzle.com/this_is_how_i_rol ... 4854492117

I know I have a strange sentimental attachment to my old big wheel. :D

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

So, is there anyone here (aside from Bobsy and myself) who is willing to actually TRY the fucking beer before passing judgement?

And we wonder why "beer geeks" get such a bad rap sometimes... :roll:

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Greg, to be fair, they are going off you calling it an "OK" brew and lots of experience with past Amsterdam brews (which are, let's face it, mediocre at best). I agree we should try before passing judgment, but there's a pretty good case history here to justify a little cynicism.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Well...beyond you calling it just "OK" Bobsy went on to call it "pretty boring". While I might not like every beer that you guys like it's often fair to say that beer that doesn't inspire you to write better comments likely won't inspire me to either.

And to be fair, there's just as much enthusiasm for the Amsterdam doppelbock in the other thread from people who haven't tried it as there is pessimism for this one here. I'm happy to try any product and be proven wrong but...I don't think it's unreasonable to have a preconception. Like the old saying goes; how many times do you have to hit yourself in the head with a hammer before you realize that the next time you do it might hurt?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

GregClow wrote:So, is there anyone here (aside from Bobsy and myself) who is willing to actually TRY the fucking beer before passing judgement?
I am in the minority here in that I am actually kind of looking forward to this. I had long ago lost interest in Amsterdam, but between this and Derek's bock, they seem to be making strides in the right direction. I'm not expecting a world beater, but it sounds like it will be a decent summer ale. I'm also happy that this will be available in cans. It'll be nice to have another single-serve option from an Ontario brewer. Any mention of an LCBO release date, Greg?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Thinking of making a trip down to the brewery today, just called and didn't think to ask about this, but they have both the Tilted Kilt and Spring Bock available.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Jon Walker wrote:Well...beyond you calling it just "OK" Bobsy went on to call it "pretty boring". While I might not like every beer that you guys like it's often fair to say that beer that doesn't inspire you to write better comments likely won't inspire me to either.
To be fair, my comments were based on a quite small sample out of a plastic cup at an event where I was tasting dozens of other foods and drinks, and I didn't take any notes at the time.

My memory told me that it was clean, well-balanced, and with a nice bit of hops in the finish. I'm looking forward to grabbing a can or two when it's available to give it a proper tasting.

I doubt they'll ever start putting out beers that will wow the beer geeks (at least not in their regular line-up), but now that Jamie Mistry is at Amsterdam, I'm expecting things will improve somewhat. This beer and the bock could be two sides of the same good beer coin - one for the mainstream, one for the hardcore.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

velovampire wrote:Any mention of an LCBO release date, Greg?
Nope. I think the CRFA show was literally the first place they were serving it (well, aside from the pre-release tasting mention by Bobsy), so it could be a couple of weeks before it gets out there.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Derek wrote:
GregClow wrote: I should note that the "Big Wheel" in the name doesn't refer to the kid's toy, but to the penny-farthing bicycle being used for the logo.
The kid's toy could be an interesting label/ad campaign:
http://www.zazzle.com/this_is_how_i_rol ... 4854492117

I know I have a strange sentimental attachment to my old big wheel. :D
Nah, the LLBO would never allow it...drinking and driving, you know.

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

Jon Walker wrote: I suspect this is marketing and rebranding a slight variant on an existing beer rather than a revolutionary new beer.
Jon your suspicions are incorrect
This is a completely new recipe using UK pale malts and UK hops.