Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Rogue Brutal Bitter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ralphus

Rogue Brutal Bitter

Post by Ralphus »

These should be in many of the LCBO's right now if they have landed in the west end of Ottawa. What does everyone think?

Personally, I'm loving it. A great looking beer with lots of flavour and a lovely dose of piney hops towards the end. The texture and carbonation are nice as well.. reminds me of something from my late teens / early twenties that I can't put my finger on. Smithwicks on tap perhaps? I'm not sure.. but I do know that at a touch colder than room temperature, it goes down in gulps.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I picked up a case last week.
I've already gone through 5. :)

It's better with each time I try it. I love the grapefruit pith like flavour and bitterness. The nose is pure hops and flroal goodness. I've always been a hop kinda guy so this is right up my alley for sessions, despite the 6.5%.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

what do you guys think of ratebeer describing it as an ESB? I also LOVE it, but i think it's way too hoppy to be an ESB. Maybe a new style, and American ESB?! :P

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Haven't picked any up yet...but will soon. Last year I couldn't stop drinking this, every time I saw it I grabbed 2 or 3....am very happy to see it return this year!

$

Post by $ »

This is the beer that really got me into American craft brews, and pissed me off that we didn't have any good Americans in the LCBO.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

robinvboyer wrote:what do you guys think of ratebeer describing it as an ESB? I also LOVE it, but i think it's way too hoppy to be an ESB.
I dunno, I'm no expert on British styles but of Ordinary, Best, Special, and Extra Special Bitter, I'd expect ESB to not too bad in the hop character. We can't say Rogue Brutal Bitter under-qualifies!!

It kicks the ass of some IPA's though doesn't it. I mean there's some relationship of Brit styles rather than absolute borders (beer style quantifiers notwithstanding.) Yeah, who cares so long as it's great! Rogue beer that acts a bit like and ESB and an IPA?
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

A great beer from a great brewer. Haven't had one from this release yet, but I remember wonderful citrus flavours and great balance. Think I'll crack one open tonight! I found their Kells lager more than a little disappointing.

carguy

Post by carguy »

I agree Bytowner, the Kells was a bit of a dissapointment for me too. I had the Brutal Bitter last night, and it was even more hoppy than I remember! Great stuff!

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

I really like this beer as it seems like a tasty cross between an american ipa and an esb. If my memory serves, Rogue refers to this as an "Imperial ESB" on the side of the bottle. I think that desciption fits.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Agreed.. the Kells, while it may be representative of the style, wasn't a good fit for me either.

$

Post by $ »

I was surprisingly happy with the Kell's Lager I had the other day, and it made me think of what I read here. I thought I saw a complaint about the Hazelnut Brown in another posting as well, but I have had a couple now and enjoy it. The two aren't over the top for sure, but still quite enjoyable.
I mentioned somewhere else the Younger's Special Bitter I found quite good as well. (not in LCBO)
I'm going to have to try Dead Guy Ale again, as I wasn't happy with it first time.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

$ wrote: I'm going to have to try Dead Guy Ale again, as I wasn't happy with it first time.
The Dead Guy seems a bit similar in yeast character to the Brutal Bitter, but the balance is reversed.

I like thie DG fairly cold, and to enjoy it when I have a good 'edge' of thirst and preferably a slight 'appetite' (on a fuller stomach the fruity-honey-malt character might seem a bit much.) Just my 2¢. Dead Guy is a good source of calories while doing yard work! :wink:
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I recently cracked open 1 of the 4 bottles of the BB I had left over from last years LCBO offering. I hoarded a few of these last year becase who knows if it will be the last time you will ever see a certain beer at the LCBO based on their bizarre labeling/packaging/niche fitting requirements (ie Orval.....get em' while you can!).

For a hoppy beer, it stood up increadibly well over the year, even just stored in a box at room temp. Now in the older bottle I get a little more of a floral aroma compared to the big citrus aroma I get off of fresh bottles. The same bitterness in the flavour is still there, however. If anything, I thought the sitcky caramel malt backbone became a little more subdued and rounded, possibly contributing to a drier finish.

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

Well first post, here goes.

I have been happy with the other Rogue products I have tried over the past while. The BB, though very enjoyable, was nothing to get overly excited about IMO.

I say that because Mill St. Tankhouse is my session beer of choice of late. As such I didn't find the BB offered much of a difference in flavor but costs more. I did only try one bottle so I do need to give it another chance to evaluate the flavor. So based solely on the price I would pick the Mill St. but considering I really enjoy Mill St. and find the BB to be very similar, by default I like the BB but wouldn't buy it based on price/ml.

Wow, a convaluted first post :lol:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Matty D wrote:Well first post, here goes.

I have been happy with the other Rogue products I have tried over the past while. The BB, though very enjoyable, was nothing to get overly excited about IMO.

I say that because Mill St. Tankhouse is my session beer of choice of late. As such I didn't find the BB offered much of a difference in flavor but costs more. I did only try one bottle so I do need to give it another chance to evaluate the flavor. So based solely on the price I would pick the Mill St. but considering I really enjoy Mill St. and find the BB to be very similar, by default I like the BB but wouldn't buy it based on price/ml.

Wow, a convaluted first post :lol:
Tankhouse is an awesome session beer, and has the added benefit of being a local, so your money is supporting Canadian jobs and the environment. The Rogue's are very good beers, but the price does make me hesitate (in fact I've not bought a single one this year). If you're ever in the States check out their XS series - its ridiculously expensive.

Oh... and welcome to the forum!