Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

ORVAL - Then & Now

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The oldest Chimay GR I have tasted was in a cafe near the monastery and it was 27 years old...absolutely an amazing transformation...something more like port or madeira than beer...but still quite amazing and it cost a FORTUNE.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Orval.

It smells like God's feet. It is the distilled super-essence of acres of orchards and flower gardens. It tastes like a pungent, soft cheese. The carbonation is freshly brisk. Perhaps the longest taste ever, dry as a mid-summer breeze. It is the most beautiful beer ever. The Inuits have so many words for snow, as many Asian cultures do for rice, I wish beer reviewers had the same for head. Orval's deserves its own word; its an ultra-lush marshmallow.

And although I normally avoid making dramatic and subjective statements, I have no hesitation in saying this is the most perfectly crafted beer ever. And I know for a fact that some of the world's best brewers wouldn't hesitate to agree. Yeast is truly one of the world's last areas of magic.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I just had a 2004 Orval and I think it's still good, but the beer hits a plateau & does not gain all that much after a few years maturation. It does take on some interesting wine-like qualities, as does Duvel.

Loads of the 2008 atill lurking down there :o .
In Beerum Veritas

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Gotta agree with Biegaman. There are tons of newer, more extreme beers, but Orval still measures up. Wish I had some to go with my easter dinner!

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Happy Orval Appreciation Day! And what a perfect day to have one of the best beers. I personally like Orval fresh to get the most out of the dry hop. I don't think I've ever had a dryer beer. What a great made up holiday.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Bonesey wrote:Happy Orval Appreciation Day! And what a perfect day to have one of the best beers. I personally like Orval fresh to get the most out of the dry hop. I don't think I've ever had a dryer beer. What a great made up holiday.
I agree. I think that was the late Michael Jackson's favourite as well.

The Brett comes forward with age, which I do like, but I really like the hops when it's fresh.

It is nice that's it ages so gracefully... something you can always have in your cellar! (Damn the LCBO for not supplying it this year).

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Worth mentioning to the foodies out there.....this is the season fresh asparagus will be coming in and although the spring/Lent tradition in Europe is to have a feed of new asparagus with the newest Reisling, Orval is a perfect match as well....particularly the last spicy-dry release.
Aventinus rules!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

pootz wrote:Worth mentioning to the foodies out there.....this is the season fresh asparagus will be coming in and although the spring/Lent tradition in Europe is to have a feed of new asparagus with the newest Reisling, Orval is a perfect match as well....particularly the last spicy-dry release.
Hops shoots would be nice too!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:
pootz wrote:Worth mentioning to the foodies out there.....this is the season fresh asparagus will be coming in and although the spring/Lent tradition in Europe is to have a feed of new asparagus with the newest Reisling, Orval is a perfect match as well....particularly the last spicy-dry release.
Hops shoots would be nice too!

Or fiddleheads!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!