Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sierra Nevada Wet Hop Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

gongu

Sierra Nevada Wet Hop Ale

Post by gongu »

Recently opened this bottle I purchased in Colorado. Bottle label info
states: Brewded with fresh picked wet hops from Yakima Wa. picked by day and shipped
to the brewery by evening then rushed into the brew kettle by dawn the
next day. Auburn ale with excellent lacing and notes of pine and honey.
This bottle was a 2008 12th release at 6.7 ABV of 1 pint 8 oz.
I only bought one . Big Mistake . I,ve never tasted a beer hopped
this way before. It was exquisite.

Queef

Post by Queef »

fantastic beer. these are also called Harvest Ales.

I'm sipping a Sierra Nevada Pale at this moment
it's beer o'clock.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It's great stuff, and I thought the Chico harvest was even better:
http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest_estate.html

It's surprising how different the wet hops really are (without the drying/oxidation). I've grown a couple in my backyard & cascade doesn't have as much citrus (it's got a peppery spiciness) and Mt. Hood is a little piny.

I'm really hoping some craft brewers take advantage of the local hop farms that are starting up in Ontario.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Is there any history of Sierra Nevada beers at the LCBO?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Ralphus wrote:Is there any history of Sierra Nevada beers at the LCBO?
Nope. They'll ship private orders, though. I know of at least one group order that was made a few years ago, and beerbistro and (I think) Volo have brought in their beers.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Derek wrote: I'm really hoping some craft brewers take advantage of the local hop farms that are starting up in Ontario.
Uhh... ?? Do you have any websites, or town/cities you can list off the top of your head?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Guybrush wrote:
Derek wrote: I'm really hoping some craft brewers take advantage of the local hop farms that are starting up in Ontario.
Uhh... ?? Do you have any websites, or town/cities you can list off the top of your head?

You might want to check with the people at Better Bitters/Nickel Brook.

They make a couple beers especially for M.E and Suzies in Port Stanley, and they use locally grown organic hops for those beers.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'm trying out growing hops up at the farm this year. Depending on how it goes, I may try getting an acre in next year
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Sierra Nevada won't sell to the LCBO for retail because they insist upon refrigerated transportation, refrigerated warehousing and refrigerated retail space....the LCBO cannot guarantee any of these.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

esprit wrote:Sierra Nevada won't sell to the LCBO for retail because they insist upon refrigerated transportation, refrigerated warehousing and refrigerated retail space....the LCBO cannot guarantee any of these.
Which is, of course, ridiculous, since one can cross the border and buy unrefrigerated SN at Premier.

-Josh

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Shhh... I wouldn't want them pulled from premiere!

Local hops:
http://www.thestar.com/article/496240
http://ontariohops.ca/

Black Oak did a cask for volo with their own home-grown hops as well, but sadly I didn't get a chance to try it.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

something to add to the Easter shopping trip I see :)

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:It's surprising how different the wet hops really are (without the drying/oxidation). I've grown a couple in my backyard & cascade doesn't have as much citrus (it's got a peppery spiciness) and Mt. Hood is a little piny.
I made an all-Cascades wethop beer in October, and you are right, not as much citrus, but still quite interesting. A couple guys in our homebrew club "hate" cascades, especially when used in large amounts (which I was most definitely guilty of), but they loved my beer.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Slightly OT, but I requested a private order quote for some Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA back in February. Talk about sticker shock. The LCBO responded fairly quickly, but their estimate was close to $145 for a case.
Here's to the slow path.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Tnx for the hop farm locals.

The Straffordville one seems to be closer to me than the Baron farms one... see if I can stop in one day.