Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mike Duggan Number 9 IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

austin wrote:Tried the #9 on tap at C'est What on Sun. I liked it but not sure this is an IPA. This is one malty IPA. Would like to try this on cask.
I love it, but style-wise it's boardering on a hoppy American amber.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Derek wrote:
austin wrote:Tried the #9 on tap at C'est What on Sun. I liked it but not sure this is an IPA. This is one malty IPA. Would like to try this on cask.
I love it, but style-wise it's boardering on a hoppy American amber.
I'm drinking one right now, and now I think about it I reckon you're right. The malt profile is definitely more pronounced (especially bottled v. cask) and the colourattion also puts it closer to an amber than classic IPA. Regardless, this is a damn solid brew, and I'll be picking some more up from the brewery soon. Hopefully the brewpub on Victoria will also do onsite sales - anyone hear anything about that or when the place is opening?

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Picked up a full case of #9 from the Cool brewing store last night, looked like there was quite a bit in stock, but you may still want to call ahead. And if you're in the area, Black Oak and Great Lakes are within 2-5min drive of each other.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Had a bottle at Chancey Smith's yesterday. What a beautiful beer.
Solid malt profile with toffee and caramel, a bit perfumey, all the while earthy and slightly toasty. Great citric hop presence too. I'd buy this all the time if it were readily available.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:Remember when everyone was in love with Sgt. Major's? Remember when we all had a hoppy IPA we could be proud about, but then the relationship soured?
... much in the way I remember the animated short film "Bambi Meets Godzilla."

Look forward to trying the #9 in bottles. This beer hits me a little differently each time to be quite honest. When Duggan #9 is really on it's great, and LCBO has some pretty solid IPA's for our brewers to measure against (Corné du Diable especially!)
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Milos wrote:I brought bottles back from our trip to Toronto this week for those living in London area
Thanks Milos will be back :wink:

I have to say this is about the best balanced complex/layered IPAs I've tasted....An excellent blend of several malts and hops but the bittering is toned back so you can identify all the separate tastes...very exceptional/judicial use of hops and a great approachable ale with big flavour...has great potential as a wider marketed bottled product.

Not sure of it fits any tight interpretation of an IPA but I wish more big IPAs were this pleasant and drinkable
Aventinus rules!

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

I grabbed a few 4 packs of Duggan #9 yesterday afternoon from Cool retail store...had two bottles last night. This is my new #1 Ontario bottled APA/IPA right now. Its very dark copper in colour, nicely hopped, and with a rich taste thats in near perfect balance, and lots of lacing on the glass. A very nice effort. I think the Durham Hop Addict is still my favourite draft Ontario IPA, and the Granite Hopping Mad this Duggan #9 are right there too. Its great too see more locally brewed APA/IPA's these days!

Queef

Post by Queef »

has there been any discussion about Magic Hat having a #9? Just curious, I realize that two Great Lakes Breweries seem to co-exist thus far within a 5 hour drive of each other, but actual brand names, this is the first I can recall.
it's beer o'clock.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Queef wrote:has there been any discussion about Magic Hat having a #9? Just curious, I realize that two Great Lakes Breweries seem to co-exist thus far within a 5 hour drive of each other, but actual brand names, this is the first I can recall.
Don't forget Hoptical Illusion. I don't think it's an issue because of the country difference.

Queef

Post by Queef »

velovampire wrote:
Queef wrote:has there been any discussion about Magic Hat having a #9? Just curious, I realize that two Great Lakes Breweries seem to co-exist thus far within a 5 hour drive of each other, but actual brand names, this is the first I can recall.
Don't forget Hoptical Illusion. I don't think it's an issue because of the country difference.
I had forgotten that one. I guess it would become an issue if at any point someone wanted to make it one, or if this one became popular to some slightly larger than a typical craft beer degree. Like if it was marketed like a Mill St. or Steamwhistle in the future I could see magic Hat having something to say about it, possibly.
it's beer o'clock.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Queef wrote:
velovampire wrote:
I had forgotten that one. I guess it would become an issue if at any point someone wanted to make it one, or if this one became popular to some slightly larger than a typical craft beer degree. Like if it was marketed like a Mill St. or Steamwhistle in the future I could see magic Hat having something to say about it, possibly.
i think that both beers would have to be availible in the same market for it to become an issue.

Queef

Post by Queef »

matt7215 wrote:
Queef wrote:
velovampire wrote:Don't forget Hoptical Illusion. I don't think it's an issue because of the country difference.
i think that both beers would have to be availible in the same market for it to become an issue.
I dunno, guess it depends on trademark copywrite laws right?
it's beer o'clock.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Queef wrote:
velovampire wrote:
I think you're right on in this assessment. If one of the brewers wanted to make a big deal out of it, I'm sure they could. But seeing how the market and possibility for brand confusion is relatively tiny for both brews, I'm sure they'd rather just not bother with the hassle.

But Matt is right as well - look at the Green Flash/Tree debacle in BC, which very likely arose because both Hop Heads were available in that market...