Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Belgian Wit

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Amsterdam Belgian Wit

Post by Derek »

I just got an email from Jamie, and apparantly they've changed up their wheat beer as well. It's a Belgian wit that's "spiced with bitter and sweet orange, coriander and tiny bit of anise".

I don't typically like anise, but I'll have to give it a chance (besides, I know my wife will drink it!).

Ready today.

BTW, it doesn't look like they'll do the Schwarz, but their Octoberfest will be back!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Considering it was an American style wheat (I think?) before that is a pretty big change!

Dieu du Ciel's Ciel Etoile was kick ass. If its even half that good I will be buying lots of this!

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

We packaged it yesterday. Bottles to be sold at the retail store about 60 cases and limited run in kegs. We have brewed a 2nd batch, so more to come.

TJ

Post by TJ »

trub_man wrote:We packaged it yesterday. Bottles to be sold at the retail store about 60 cases and limited run in kegs. We have brewed a 2nd batch, so more to come.
When is it going to be in the retail store? I was there Friday and didn't see it, and when I asked about it the guy working the cash register didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I just called the retail phone number at the brewery, and was told that the Wheat is not yet available in the store.

She had no idea when it would be available, although she assured me that they have plenty of Pomegranate Wheat and KLB Raspberry Wheat should I want those. :P

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

Now available, sorry for the delay.

TJ

Post by TJ »

I picked up a six today and I'm having my second one now. It's a nice, refreshing summer drinker. Should be a crowd real pleaser.

I'm not getting a lot of anise from it, just the slightest hint of licorice in the aftertaste. So fear not Derek. :)

Since the packaging is completely generic, I'm wondering what the exact name of this beer is and what the ABV is?

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

Brewers were partial to naming it Dim-wit or Half-wit.

But maketing decided on Oranje Wit which is 5%abv

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

trub_man wrote:Brewers were partial to naming it Dim-wit or Half-wit.

But maketing decided on Oranje Wit which is 5%abv
Stupid marketers. Half-wit would have been more interesting and stood out more particularly if you'd design a package around that. Oranje Wit probably wouldn't get a second glance on the LCBO shelves.
lister

TJ

Post by TJ »

lister wrote:Half-wit would have been more interesting and stood out more particularly if you'd design a package around that. Oranje Wit probably wouldn't get a second glance on the LCBO shelves.
I think there's at least a half a dozen "Half Wits" out there already, including one from Wild Rose in Calgary. And it's probably just me and my lack of imagination, but somehow I envision a label designed around a half wit motif to be something along the lines of what Wychwood does with their beers, which wouldn't exactly be in keeping with Amsterdam's brand identity. Plus their Blonde, Dutch Amber and Nut Brown Ale seem to do all right at the LCBO and elsewhere without any novelty packaging or naming. But what's in a name? It's what's in the bottle that counts and, as I said, I enjoyed it.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

I like Oranje Wit - now if I see it on tap I'm gonna go all John Candy in Blues Brothers and point at two of my friends: "Oranje Wit? Oranje Wit? Three Oranje Wits".

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lister wrote:Oranje Wit probably wouldn't get a second glance on the LCBO shelves.
Considering that this beer isn't going to be sold at the LCBO - and doesn't even have labels, from the sounds of it - I hardly see how that matters.

Also, Oranje Wit goes better with the Amsterdam theme, seeing how Oranje is Dutch and all.

EDIT: I just Googled "Oranje Wit" and it seems to be the name of a number of soccer and other sports teams from the Netherlands. It also has a connection to one of the historic flags from the country. So all in all, it's a pretty clever name.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Oranje is also Flemish (which is the version of Dutch spoken in the north of Belgium) for orange, and it's a Belgian wit made with oranges, so it works that way too.

But do we pronounce it "oranyeah" with a rhotic r? Or just orange?

The Dutch fascination with orange dates back to William of Orange and The House of Orange and orange being the colour of the Dutch Royal Family. It has pervaded their culture for years. On Queen's Day or during the World Cup (and other international football tournaments) tonnes of people wear orange, and streets are decorated with orange and they really get into it. They have orange m&m's, orange cheesecake, orange liquorice, orange chocolate sprinkles, orange, well... you get the idea right?

And yeah, the bottle just has the generic Amsterdam label on it (no neck label signifying what it is) and it came in a blank open six pack holder.

TJ

Post by TJ »

In her latest podcast on wheat beers Mirella Amato interviewed Jamie Mistry and he pronounced oranje "oh-rang-gee" (with a hard G) which he says is a Dutch word, but I guess that's not enough to give it the Dutch pronunciation.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Bought a six over the weekend. Fantastic stuff. I'd put it on par with Mill St. Wit.