Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkey

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

peterchiodo wrote: I was thinking of installing a hopback between my whirlpool and strainer basket prior to my heat exchanger (of course). Any ideas/comments?
Stone Brewing adds a lot of hops to the whirlpool... enough that they even get some bitterness from them (their homebrew clones account for this). I think the key is that there's some heat (but not enough to evaporate many precious hop oils), with plenty of mixing. Their 13th Anniversary strong ale had a phenominal hop nose.

Found the article online... it looks like they typically steep around 200F for 75-90 minutes:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/sho ... puser=8531
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/sho ... puser=8531

This hop experiment is kinda neat:
http://republicbrewpub.blogspot.com/200 ... thods.html

As Rob said, the water can really make a difference as well. I don't think you need to Burtonize your water, but I do like a little bite (some of the west coast 'soft' water brews don't seem like they have near the bitterness they report).

$

Post by $ »

went to summerhill LCBO. web site says they have a few in stock. Ask a guy, he has no idea, yells at another guy, he says,never heard nothing about any monkeys. shows me a flyer with ALL the beers the LCBO carries, if it ain't in there we don't carry it. I'm a little pissed off

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Ah' the good LCBO's!

Rob.Russell

Post by Rob.Russell »

$ wrote:went to summerhill LCBO. web site says they have a few in stock. Ask a guy, he has no idea, yells at another guy, he says,never heard nothing about any monkeys. shows me a flyer with ALL the beers the LCBO carries, if it ain't in there we don't carry it. I'm a little pissed off
I went to a friend's housewarming on Saturday, and she knows nothing about beers, but she had picked up a 6 of Hoptical Illusion from the LCBO just because she liked the packaging. I slid my 6 of ST IPA in the fridge, and got to drink both all night!

She got the Hoptical Illusion from the LCBO on Dupont near Spadina, and I got my ST IPA from the Fairview Mall, where it was just sitting on the floor, unrefrigerated and hidden. The HI was also unrefrigerated at the Dupont LCBO.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Finally picked some of this up today. The LCBO in uptown Waterloo had 8 six-packs and we bought four of them.

It's interesting, every time I try this beer it tastes a bit different, but always great. The first time I had it on tap it seemed a bit lighter and crisper. Second time was at the Kitchener Rib Fest where it seemed much fruitier, and this time (out of the bottle) the signature hop flavour was much more pronounced and the maltiness was also much more noticeable. I'm excited to see how this beer evolves over time.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Speaking of Barrie water... apparently it's some of the purest in the world:
http://www.allistonherald.com/allistonh ... cle/142783

Testing has shown there's fewer impurities than in icebergs that are thousands of years old!

This could be a marketing opportunity for the beer, though maybe not to the extreme of quidi vidi:
http://www.quidividibrewery.ca/iceberg.php

It could also raise awareness of this pure aquifer (I had no idea). Unless of course the site 41 dump goes ahead...

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

Derek wrote: It could also raise awareness of this pure aquifer (I had no idea). Unless of course the site 41 dump goes ahead...
That is a big can of worms around here, I think it's going on 20 years and still no final decisions.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

'Pure' as a marketing term is relative to what you can make people believe. The famous/infamous Formosa Spring which had a well head under our labeler in the Formosa brewery constantly showed bacteria counts that forced us to use sanitizers and constantly watch out for product contamination. Was that from the system we used to deliver the water or was it because the area was surrounded by cattle operations that hugely impacted the ground water supply and undoubtably interfaced with the aquafer at many points? The Barrie landfill sounds similar to a cattle operation to me.

If the direction for some of the Flying Monkey brands is big hop bitterness combined with big hop aroma, then the use of the lower alpha aroma hops in a hopback/whirlpool is the obvious answer and is reinforced by the practices of the big American craft brands. That being said, I still like the idea of creative engineering to dose hops into beer. It's the serious fun part of brewing.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Derek wrote:
This could be a marketing opportunity for the beer, though maybe not to the extreme of quidi vidi:
http://www.quidividibrewery.ca/iceberg.php

It could also raise awareness of this pure aquifer (I had no idea). Unless of course the site 41 dump goes ahead...
It's a great idea to use the surrounding resources and market it as something pure. However, I think it'd be a little better if they decided to use ice berg water in something other than an extreme light beer.
enjoi

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

notdan wrote:Finally picked some of this up today. The LCBO in uptown Waterloo had 8 six-packs and we bought four of them.
Picked up the last sixer on the shelf this evening. Hopefully they get some more in soon!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

notdan wrote:Finally picked some of this up today. The LCBO in uptown Waterloo had 8 six-packs and we bought four of them.
Thanks for being so incredibly considerate of others who may have wanted some as well. Especially when it's in such ridiculously limited quanities. :roll:

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Just do an intrastore transfer Jesse, get a case to yourself. Its worth it.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

notdan

Post by notdan »

JesseM wrote:
Thanks for being so incredibly considerate of others who may have wanted some as well. Especially when it's in such ridiculously limited quanities. :roll:
To be fair, there were four of us. Who don't live together. So one six pack per person. I hope that seems more legitimate.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

That seems more legitimate to me. Sorry for assuming it was just you or you and a significant other ('we picked up 4'). You must understand the outrage one might feel if given the impression someone came in a took half the stock away of a beer they really wanted.

Peter Chiodo you can take my knee-jerk reaction of outrage as an indicator of how much I like your beer :P.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Don't worry about, trust me, I know exactly how you feel. Sorry for stealing the stash... this beer needs to be rationed off in singles apparently.

I was actually stressing pretty bad for a bit. I'll be moving back to Ottawa in a couple days and one of the Flying Monkeys people at the Rib Fest was saying that the LCBOs up there aren't likely to get it for a little while. I was getting pretty worried I wouldn't see it here before I left.