Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkey

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

NRman wrote:Hi Peter

Glad to hear Netherworld is coming along. Loved it at the GR Stout and Porter tasting - best in show!
Any chance of finding it in Kitchener Waterloo? or even a list of who has a keg - beside's Chancey Smith's in London (thx SBG) and Hank's?

Terry
When I was at Kick Off several months ago they had Hoptical Illusion on tap, so they seem to carry Flying Monkey products.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Confederation Ale is drinking quite well these days.

Milos

Post by Milos »

All of Peter's last batches are so good! The Netherwold somehow managed to get dry hopped much more, yet it drinks too easy. They are bottling some as we speak and I will certainly get some for my own fridge at home.
So many beers and so little time!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I just cracked a very recent bottle of the latest batch of the Hoptical. This has a much hoppier nose and flavour profile than in the past. On par with Tankhouse,(which is fine by me) and will make even more regular appearances in my fridge now. Very nice!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I just cracked a very recent bottle of the latest batch of the Hoptical. This has a much hoppier nose and flavour profile than in the past. On par with Tankhouse,(which is fine by me) and will make even more regular appearances in my fridge now. Very nice!
Agreed! The newest batch seems much hoppier and is bursting with Amarillo in the nose and the flavour. Since Feb. or so, this has supplanted Tankhouse as my go to bottled pale.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

My understanding is that Hoptical is now being bottled after being run through the Hoppapotamus. It picks up more hop character from the dry hop than it did when they were throwing hops into the tank. Thats what Peter told me when I toured the place back during the winter.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

velovampire wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:I just cracked a very recent bottle of the latest batch of the Hoptical. This has a much hoppier nose and flavour profile than in the past. On par with Tankhouse,(which is fine by me) and will make even more regular appearances in my fridge now. Very nice!
Agreed! The newest batch seems much hoppier and is bursting with Amarillo in the nose and the flavour. Since Feb. or so, this has supplanted Tankhouse as my go to bottled pale.
Third. Enjoying one while I watch the game, entirely different creature from the first Hoptical I ever had.

Milos

Post by Milos »

I think Peter really deserves to be supported much more than he is. I believe he has a drive and ability come out with some great beers!!
So many beers and so little time!!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Milos wrote:I think Peter really deserves to be supported much more than he is. I believe he has a drive and ability come out with some great beers!!
+1

its great to see a brewery re-invent itself and move with the craft beer movement.

Hoptical is a great session ale, Netherworld is an awesome beer (BIPA, CDA, hoppy porter or Imperial Pale Porter) and based on those two their IPA/IIPA is something im really looking forward to.

Flying Monkeys is definantly a brewer to keep your eye on!

keep up the good work Peter and crew

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

Hoptical is now my go-to-beer. If I can stock my fridge with a case I will, it's not always in stock though. Looking forward to a new offering from FM for sure.

I did re-try the confederation on tap a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad. I remember trying it a few years ago and not thinking much of it. I definately noted some grape fruit hoppy flavour to it. Very much a stock ale but tastier then the macro's, though it isn't "cold-flavoured" enough for me :wink:

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I used to go with Tankhouse as a fallback, but now find myself buying the Hoptical Illusion more often.

Yoey

Post by Yoey »

Thanks for all the positive reviews for both Hoptical and Netherworld! Its really keeping us going here at the brewery.
Looking like next week for the first brew of iipa! I know Im looking forward to making it as much as tasting it!

CHEERS!!
Yoey
Peters brother from anotha motha (aka production and brewer)

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Keep us updated on the progress of the DIPA.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Yoey wrote:Thanks for all the positive reviews for both Hoptical and Netherworld! Its really keeping us going here at the brewery.
Looking like next week for the first brew of iipa! I know Im looking forward to making it as much as tasting it!

CHEERS!!
Yoey
Peters brother from anotha motha (aka production and brewer)

Welcome to tha 'towel and thanks for the update!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
Flying Monkeys is definantly a brewer to keep your eye on!
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas