Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Oak Summer Saison

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Black Oak Summer Saison

Post by Bobsy »

I know I could dredge up on an old thread on this, but I didn't.

So last night I had my first Black Oak Summer Saison ever. I don't know how it ended up being so long, but there you have it. I enjoyed my pint at Volo, but felt it was lacking a little something to edge it into greatness. Oddly enough that 'something' appears to be a bottle, as the beer I just poured myself from the sixer is a remarkably solid interpretation of an old-style saison. It lacks the bells and whistles of many saisons on the market, but also clocks in at a far more quaffable ABV, and I could drink several of these on a hot day, which was the original intention of the first saison makers.
Pours a clouded gold with a voluminus white head, that gradually dies to a heavy film, leaving streaks of lace with every sip. The aroma is restrained, but well balanced, with hints of hay underneath layers of orange zest, wheat, and funky yeast. This is not a saison that hits you over the head with a burst of funk, but it displays a subtlety missing in some other versions.

The taste reflects this. Upfront a pleasant spiciness (pepper and coriander mix) tingles the tongue, before giving way to wheat, orange earth and a light funkiness. The whole package is elevated by the finish, where the spices reassert themselves in a pleasantly warming fashion that belies the light alcohol percentage of this brew. Talking of the alcohol, its far more in line with the traditional saison than other versions that have appeared in recent years, and that's something I appreciate. Its an exceptionally easy to drink saison, and the lighter ABV actually makes it a good choice for a thirst quencher on a hot summer day, which can't be said of some of its arrivals who weigh in at twice the percentage. For its style is practically perfect in this area.

The body is also very style-appropiate, exhibiting a lightness, with spritzy carbonation and a drying character. Black Oak have done a great job on this beer. I first had it on tap last night and felt that everything was a bit dialled back in that tame Ontario way I keep coming across, but the bottled version is far superior and rectifies the faults I found in my beer last night. Highly recommended.
Its an awesome beer, and you should all pick some up at the brewery. I think when one of our brewers makes something special we should all pile in and support it in the hope that it will encourage them to increase production of the good stuff and become more adventurous with their other offerings and the market in general.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Agreed Bobsy, I bought several cases of this and have been loving it so far. I just wish the weather would warm up so I could enjoy it even more!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Their seasonals are world class... hopefully we'll see one in the fall! :wink:

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Can anyone comment on how this one holds up over time? Just trying to decide how much to buy.

I would have guessed that it would be best fresh, but when this beer won an award earlier this year (and it wasn't brewed since 2007, to my knowledge) I am reconsidering.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

sstackho wrote:Can anyone comment on how this one holds up over time? Just trying to decide how much to buy.

I would have guessed that it would be best fresh, but when this beer won an award earlier this year (and it wasn't brewed since 2007, to my knowledge) I am reconsidering.
I kept a couple bottles from my '06 purchase to compare with the '07, and it held up remarkably well after a year. Didn't seem to gain much (perhaps became a bit softer, more rounded and integrated), but certainly didn't lose anything. I think you're safe to buy as much as you want.

I hope to make it out to the brewery this weekend to grab a couple cases. My favourite Ontario seasonal, and I put that down on my Golden Taps ballot!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Love this beer. One of my three favourite seasonals each year, with Nutcracker and Grand River Pumpkin being the other two. Really missed it last year but great to have it back as good as ever.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

sstackho wrote:Can anyone comment on how this one holds up over time?
No...it's too good to keep around!!!!

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Is the Saison only available at the brewery? I try to avoid driving to Toronto as much as possible.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Yep, in bottles anyway. I imagine it is in rotation at the usual premium beer destinations in T.O.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

boo. I guess I shall have to venture forth to the "T-dot" next week. Damn it.

Milos

Post by Milos »

I just picked up some of Saison, Nut Brown and Pale Ale the other day.
So if London is closer, come and try it here.

www.chanceysmiths.com
So many beers and so little time!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Just sampled this fresh from the brewery, at Chancey Smith's. It was nice to see some Black Oak this far south west too (hopefully that continues) What a fantastic beer! So full of flavour and so complex. Certainly one worth quaffing regularly if it is available.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!