Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dieu Du Ciel Aphrodisiaque

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Dieu Du Ciel Aphrodisiaque

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I was just gifted a 6 pack of this wonderful beer yesterday. I really like how they've integrated that vanilla. Works really well with the dark chocolate aspect of the beer. This is my review.

"A deep motor oil pour with a gorgeous billowing froth of mocha head. Excellent lace. Nose is a blast of vanilla and dark chocolate, with roast malts and cocoa nibs. The flavour is great. Lots of dark chocolate with an upfront vanilla profile that really works well with the chocolate aspect. A bit of coffee with roasted malts and some cafe mocha. Creamy and very drinkable. Medium body is missing a little something mid palate, but only a minor detraction to this wonderful stout. Thankfully we have 5 more."

I read somewhere on here recently that someone was comparing it to the Young's double chocolate. I don't see the comparison between the two, but they do both work well as dessert beers, and would be fantastic over vanilla ice cream.
The Young's is a bit sweeter I find, and although the Aphro. is a bit higher in ABV, I found the body a bit thin compared to the Youngs, which is fuller and a bit more velvety.

Overall the Aphro is great though. A dark chocolate and vanilla treat in a bottle.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

T'was me who compared the Young's to L'Aphrodisiaque. I'm guessing the two bottles I had weren't 'good' bottles. I compared these 2 beers purely down to, IMHO, the cheap artificial chocolate, vanilla flavourings that seemed to be happening. Pretty much like the new batches of Young's has started to taste too artificial. The Young's used to be so velvetly smooth a while back but now is just harsh and cheap. And that's what I got from the DDC beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I wonder if some beers, especially very fresh ones get 'bottle shock' and should be just left for a few months for the flavors to knit & harmonize in the cellar.

Don't know if it applies to Stouts, but it certainly does to wines, and some Trappist brewers definitely advise it due to the bottle-conditioning. Point is - bottling and the newness of the beer may delay the full potential. Think Rogue Chocolate Stout! Any thoughts?

(Also I don't know if I could offer a fetching trade to anyone for an L'Aphrodisiaque - course I might just go to MTL soon and hope for the best it's still around at that time!)
In Beerum Veritas

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Belgian,

I may be interested in trading a bottle if you have any american IPAs.... racer 5, nugget nectar, indica, smuttynose etc...
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Belgian wrote:(Also I don't know if I could offer a fetching trade to anyone for an L'Aphrodisiaque - course I might just go to MTL soon and hope for the best it's still around at that time!)
I was under the impression that this one, unlike the rigor mortis abt, was going to be in regular bottle production? I hope so, it would be a shame if it weren't. Nonetheless, I saw plenty of the Aphrodisiaque in a number of locations on the south shore as recently as last week.

On a side note, I picked up a DDC mixed 12 pack at a Metro store. 4 each of Fumistiere, Blanche du Paradis, Rosee D'Hibiscus and Paienne. I understand it is their attempt to bridge the average beer drinker over to some of their more ambitious offerings. With this selection, I would imagine they will be successful.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bonesey wrote:
I may be interested in trading a bottle if you have any american IPAs.... racer 5, nugget nectar, indica, smuttynose etc...
Bonesy, a week or so late on that offer but sincere thanks - I drank up even the IPAs I was maybe gifting to beer friends (who were too delayed) because I refuse to keep fresh hoppy IPAs very long. Wish I could have shared the Maharaja IIPA with you or slipped you a few Green Flash IPA! But good shopping list additions... and the Smuttynose IPA is decent.
cannondale wrote:a DDC mixed 12 pack at a Metro store. 4 each of Fumistiere, Blanche du Paradis, Rosee D'Hibiscus and Paienne.
:lol: Those French are bad at math!
In Beerum Veritas

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Belgian wrote:
Bonesey wrote:
Bonesy, a week or so late on that offer but sincere thanks - I drank up even the IPAs I was maybe gifting to beer friends (who were too delayed) because I refuse to keep fresh hoppy IPAs very long. Wish I could have shared the Maharaja IIPA with you or slipped you a few Green Flash IPA! But good shopping list additions... and the Smuttynose IPA is decent.
cannondale wrote:a DDC mixed 12 pack at a Metro store. 4 each of Fumistiere, Blanche du Paradis, Rosee D'Hibiscus and Paienne.
:lol: Those French are bad at math!
Or perhaps that was just me wishing that I had 4 more bottles than I thought? Good job pointing out the obvious though! The Rosee D'Hibiscus is an interesting one. At first I didn't like it..but now I think I rather enjoy it. It's a very unique flavour.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

cannondale wrote:I was under the impression that this one, unlike the rigor mortis abt, was going to be in regular bottle production? I hope so, it would be a shame if it weren't....
Aphrodisiaque is now available in bottles, throughout Quebec.

I also may have heard tell somewhere that a new agency (connected to Volo, somehow?) will be bringing DDC into Ontario by this Autumn. Or this may have been some drunken wishful thinking. Hard to tell, sometimes.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

The_Jester wrote:I also may have heard tell somewhere that a new agency (connected to Volo, somehow?) will be bringing DDC into Ontario by this Autumn. Or this may have been some drunken wishful thinking. Hard to tell, sometimes.
Not wishful thinking, my friend, expect péché and corne du diable this fall.