Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Creemore Springs Kellerbier

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Creemore Springs Kellerbier

Post by Bobsy »

There's not an actual review thread of this one yet (just a general talk). Anyways, what a beauty of a lager. As I said elsewhere after she finished her pint and I told her it was a lager my wife was shocked. Far too much flavour!

Here's my BA review:
When you open an Ontario lager, expectations are usually low. The best that can be said of most of them is that they are a step up from the mediocre mass-market brands, though sometimes that is only the teensiest of steps. Now Creemore step into the fray with a new offering that blows most of its rivals out of the water.

In 2005 brewing juggernaut Molson bought the Creemore Springs brewery to gain a foothold in the 'super-premium' market. Creemore's products have always been solid, but never exceptional, and 'super-premium' only in branding. Its pils is passable, urbock okay, and premium lager decent for what it is (currently the 2nd highest rated American Pale). Fortunately, the folks at Creemore do have some creative leeway, and how they managed to persuade the Molson accountants to allow them to make a keller bier I will never know, but we should be thankful they did.

The beer pours the colour of unfiltered peach juice, which reveals amber tones and a vague outline of my wife on the other side of the glass (while its unfiltered its by no means as hazy as a wheat beer). A good two fingers of white head set up camp, and gradually diminish, but never leave the party, casting off remnants on the glass. Fruity, floral and fragrant the aroma sure is enticing me with its mixture of ripe peaches and pears and its spicy notes. Extending to the flavour, these elements craft a delightfully drinkable beer. Upfront there's a great hop bite, which reasserts itself in the finish. What struck me about the hopping is that it seemed to arrive on the scene quickly, and then finish quickly and crisply without lingering in an IPA manner, and I think this is commendable in the type of beer a lager is trying to be. The malts provide an extensive fruitiness, with peaches (again), ripe apple and a touch of berry. Flower and herb garden flavours also abound, with floral elements, mixing with a touch of earth and some spiciness. The mouthfeel is an area that I feel this beer really excels. It has far greater texture than most lagers I've come across so far, revealing a depth only matched by cask conditioning. Like its carbonation, it is medium-light and restrained, but never watery and always satisfying. You could session this until you fell over.

So it takes Creemore, backed by the financial might of Molson, to show Ontario craft brewers how to make a lager with flavour. Now where do their beers fall? In the past they've been able to say they were superior in quality and flavour to their macro rivals, but now they've been surpassed, and have fallen into the no-man's land between two camps, having neither a big marketing machine, nor a lager worthy of note. Sammy may be right, this could be a paradigm shifter.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Great review. All I can add is that, such is the high drinkability of this beer that I set out to have one last night, but ended up having four. I couldn't stop myself.

This is definitely going to be my go-to session beer for as long as it's available.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Fantastic review, Bobsy.

And yeah, fantastic beer as well.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

TJ wrote: This is definitely going to be my go-to session beer for as long as it's available.
Agreed. This stuff is dangerously drinkable.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

My post from our Kitchener-Waterloo beer forum - which includes my ratebeer review. Loved it. Not near as articulate as Bobsy :)
Holy Shit guys, get some of this fresh now. Stunning for a lager or just overall. One of the freshest tasting beers I have ever had. I'll be interested to hear what you lager guys think of this. I'm not a lager lover or anything, but I am also not ignorant to great lagers either - and this is one of the best I have ever had.

I was fortunate enough to get mine from a refrigerated storage area in the back room of a Toronto LCBO - if you cannot find any in that kind of pristine condition, let me know, I'll keep a few refrigerated bottles handy here.

My ratebeer review:

Quote:
Can, LCBO 8 Pack. Pours a very nice hazy golden yellow with an attractive creamy white head with great lacing. A few streaming bubbles are present as well. Very inviting fresh aroma - bread, biscuit, wet trees in a forest (I’m stretching, but that is what it smells like - so fresh). Taste - terrific. Surprising hops right up front, giving way to fruity malt, and an interesting spicy hop finish. Mouthfeel is very reminiscent of fresh Creemore lager, soft and actively carbonated. That finish is something else - now I’m getting honey and citrus to go with the spiciness. Wow, there is a ton of flavour here, what a great job Creemore (and thanks for leaving them alone Molson)! They knocked this one out of the park, not sure a lager could get any more flavourful.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

This beer is very good indeed. Its nose and flavour have the Creemore hallmark - to my mind a sulphur-like note - but the yeast presence enriches and makes the brew much more complex than the regular lager or pilsener. There is a roundness and completeness as it were that the regular issue doesn't have.

It is a very good expression and while generally I am not partial to Creemore, this is by far the best way to drink it and one I would return to if regularly available.

I don't find much difference between the Pilsener and Lager expressions of Creemore. I'd suggest dropping the Pilsener and replacing it with this Kellerbier. I could stand more bitterness too although it is very good as is.

Gary
Gary Gillman

carguy

Post by carguy »

I drove to Guelph today to get some, seeing as how all four LCBO's in Cambridge have decided they don't need to carry it. It is good, but I can't gush over it. Given the choice, I'd pick Grand River Galt Knife lager over this.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Certainly the best tasting domestic lager in this market.....and that's no small feat.

Two attributes capture this beer's character; fresh and deeply flavourful.

The down side is it's seasonal.

I have a half dozen cases to sip on until the second lot is canned.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

carguy wrote:I drove to Guelph today to get some, seeing as how all four LCBO's in Cambridge have decided they don't need to carry it. It is good, but I can't gush over it. Given the choice, I'd pick Grand River Galt Knife lager over this.
Agreed, it's quite good and rustic though I would say not necessarily better than the other two wel-made main beers Creemore make. Opening a Christoffel Blonde after a few Keller it was clear the Dutch beer had a lot more density and detail of flavors going on, al least for my taste.

Still I look forward to sipping this one and the Pilsner once in a while, and a well-distributed Kellerbier in Ontario is something to get very excited about.
In Beerum Veritas

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I just tried it and I think it is really good. I'd prefer the hops to come through a little bit more, but it is still the best offering from Creemore. Very flavourful, as other people have already noted. I'd gladly buy this again, and likely I will before the stock runs out at the LCBO.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Had a can with my lunch today, unfortunately no glass but still quite tasty, and it'll be a repeat buy. I'm just wondering when "generous" was redefined? Hopping was noticeable, but nothing extaordinary when compared to something like Stuarts Session or Christoffel Blond
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Just sampling this now.
This is an excellent beer. One that is rewarding and unique. A must try for all, and one that will be a repeat buy until it runs out.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

This is a solid beer. Clearer than I expected but I am really pleased with the smells and flavours coming through, particularly the peachiness and I find the hops appear the warmer it gets. I'm totally missing the lacing but that could be because the other third is currently stuffed into a chicken on the BBQ :) The two others I had were out of the can while fishing last night. They were a bigger hit than the smallmouth bass that were biting.

For golden lagers, I think this is probably my standard while they are on the shelves. Nice job Creemore. I hope it pays dividends.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Finally!! 233 Kellerbier show up at Wellington & Bradley LCBO in London!!

I call dibs, everyone else find your own store!

I swear if I find even ONE missing....... somebody gonna get a hurt real bad.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I find the Kellerbier best if it's just cooled down a little, not chilled, so there's less of a hard earthy-mineral character fighting the hops plus the added alcohol warmth gives it just a hint more body. Really tall Czech crystal pilsner glasses are amazing for lagers, if you were thinking of buying a few.
In Beerum Veritas