Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Creemore Springs Kellerbier

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

Guybrush wrote:Finally!! 233 Kellerbier show up at Wellington & Bradley LCBO in London!!

I call dibs, everyone else find your own store!

I swear if I find even ONE missing....... somebody gonna get a hurt real bad.
Ha! I got 6 from there on friday and you can't have them :) Good beer by the way

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Really tall Czech crystal pilsner glasses are amazing for lagers, if you were thinking of buying a few.
I find the tall, thin glass included with the St Peter's gift pack this past Christmas makes a nice substitute.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

"Karen from Creemore" on the Ottawa foodie forum posted yesterday about the kellerbier not being as hoppy as Creemore would have liked and they may do a touch up for the next "packaging"... not sure if that's for this season or next year.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

That is interesting. I believe the "unbunged" style of unfiltered German lager has a very firm bitterness. I recall Michael Jackson stating this in his works on beer. I think Creemore's kellerbier, nice as it is, would be even more impressive with a marked bitterness and would encourage the brewery to try this for the next packaging.

One thing I will try for fun is to keep some cans in the fridge for 6-9 months. Lager beer originally was aged this long - some of it anyway. I have found that even regular Creemore improves with a few months extra aging in the fridge, it seems to round it out more. This should, theoretically, be even more so with the unfiltered product - the can should be a kind of mini lagering vessel. To do this effectively though, I think it is essential to age it cold. If it is allowed to age at room temperature, that would be a kind of warm conditioning and would not emulate the original lagering process.

Gary
Gary Gillman

bartle

Post by bartle »

I must agree that I was mildly let down by the lack of bitterness. However, I must say, this was a tasty treat. Thumbs up for this one.
enjoi

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

midlife crisis wrote:
Really tall Czech crystal pilsner glasses are amazing for lagers, if you were thinking of buying a few.
I find the tall, thin glass included with the St Peter's gift pack this past Christmas makes a nice substitute.
Lol. That's exactly the one I've been using for the Creemore as well.

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

bartle wrote:I must agree that I was mildly let down by the lack of bitterness. However, I must say, this was a tasty treat. Thumbs up for this one.
I agree because I had read such glowing reviews for this that I was mildly let down. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice beer but some of the descriptors for the taste didn't translate for me at first. I found myself wanting a slight bit more hops and a bottle of their regular lager to compare it to incase I was over reaching on my expectations of flavour.

One thing I will say is after drinking down a decent pilsner I poured another Creemore Keller, the flavours jumped out much more so then on my first try. There are some sublte flavours that can be overlooked with this one as it is still a lager.

I would buy this again for sure.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Finally got a couple of cans to sample.

Any chance they can replace the Pilsner (which I've never been fond of) with this great offering year round?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Belgian wrote:I find the Kellerbier best if it's just cooled down a little, not chilled, so there's less of a hard earthy-mineral character fighting the hops plus the added alcohol warmth gives it just a hint more body. Really tall Czech crystal pilsner glasses are amazing for lagers, if you were thinking of buying a few.
I agree. After sipping on this for a week or so at different serving temps I think optimum tasting temp is near cellar temp of 52deg. F
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

G.M. Gillman wrote:That is interesting. I believe the "unbunged" style of unfiltered German lager has a very firm bitterness. I recall Michael Jackson stating this in his works on beer. I think Creemore's kellerbier, nice as it is, would be even more impressive with a marked bitterness and would encourage the brewery to try this for the next packaging.
Agreed. It is "balanced" perfectly.

If you like and drink mostly unbalanced beers, either hop forward or malt forward, perfect balance may seem a tad awkward to your palate. It is however the mark of traditional brewing art (at least with lager brewers) to produce large flavor in perfect balance.
Aventinus rules!

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Trying it this evening for the first time and really enjoying it. :D

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

pootz wrote:
G.M. Gillman wrote:That is interesting. I believe the "unbunged" style of unfiltered German lager has a very firm bitterness. I recall Michael Jackson stating this in his works on beer. I think Creemore's kellerbier, nice as it is, would be even more impressive with a marked bitterness and would encourage the brewery to try this for the next packaging.

If you like and drink mostly unbalanced beers, either hop forward or malt forward, perfect balance may seem a tad awkward to your palate. It is however the mark of traditional brewing art (at least with lager brewers) to produce large flavor in perfect balance.
Some of the one's I've tried were full of fresh hop flavour, but the bitterness did seem to be artfully balanced... I don't think any had the bitterness of a Pilsner, but I haven't had many. There probably is plenty of variations... like cask ale.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Derek wrote:
pootz wrote:

Some of the one's I've tried were full of fresh hop flavour, but the bitterness did seem to be artfully balanced... I don't think any had the bitterness of a Pilsner, but I haven't had many. There probably is plenty of variations... like cask ale.
As you probably know unfiltered beers are quirky when it comes to taste and temp. You will notice this beer tastes different as it warms ...actually this is quite pronounced. When cold it is sharp crisp and hoppy and as it warms you get the earthy maltyness and balance coming forward.

AFAIK there were only two lots produced (20 HL ea.?) and the second is just been packaged and is in delivery.
Aventinus rules!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Any way to tell the second lot from the first, from the packaging, to anyone's knowledge? My (first lot) cans are stamped 61009 1040.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

midlife crisis wrote:Any way to tell the second lot from the first, from the packaging, to anyone's knowledge? My (first lot) cans are stamped 61009 1040.
Don't know what the 1040 stands for, but I'm pretty sure the 61009 is June 10/09 (6/10/09).