Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Garrison ImPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Garrison ImPA

Post by midlife crisis »

So, hopheads, how do you like it? Is it the best beer brewed in Canada? There is certainly nothing like it from Ontario, I can say that with some certainty. To me it is the equal of Stone IPA, DFH, Great Divide (the big IPAs that come in around the 7% mark), though I'm far from having tried them all. What do the experts think?

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

I would not classify myself an expert, but had the first Imperial Pale Ale last night and was very impressed. After waiting so long for the order, I almost forgot about it. Its got loads of flavour and its on the low end of the alcohol range for the double IPA style. Based on the flavour profile, I would have guessed the alcohol was in the 8-9% range. A fantastic beer! I only ordered one case, so I think I will get in for the current Garrision order to grab at least another case. I suspect this beer would age well considering the hopping and alcohol strength. In my opinion, this is a winner. Cheers.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I don't know that the experts think. Better ask them!

I just think it's full and creamy for the ABV, with a seemingly high gravity feel that doesn't turn into loads of junky residual sweetness... and a very pleasing C-hop profile with plenty of citrus and pine nuances yet nothing goes overboard. Great balance, and nothing like it in Ontario.

Also I like it best served cold.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I liked it a lot.

It's sort of an IPA and a half like Sierra Nevada Torpedo, though the quality malt, hopping & bitterness reminds me of the Brutal Bitter. Very drinkable.

Nice malt balance, but not quite as sessionable as the Red Racer IPA (a REALLY great hop fix).

It'd be great to see it on the shelf here. Slightly lower price per volume than the Rogue, but it's a little stronger & a little more local.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I don't know what the other guys had, but the Salmon was absolutely fantastic!!!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I don't know what the other guys had, but the Salmon was absolutely fantastic!!!
Huh? Is that the New grist Sorghum, Bavaria Light & cold meds talking?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:I don't know what the other guys had, but the Salmon was absolutely fantastic!!!
Huh? Is that the New grist Sorghum, Bavaria Light & cold meds talking?

Whoops, I was browsing another forum at the same time, and posted here hehe. Sorry!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

really solid all around, great for a hop fix but it be hard to session. im glad i bought a case.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Its very good stuff, but is it the best beer in Canada? Not by a long ways. I don't even think its the best Garrison beer I've had - that would be the winter weizenbock. The best hopped up beer in Canada right now has to be DDC's Chaman. I'll also jump on the Red Racer bandwagon, and say that its one of the best IPAs I've had.

This reminds me of that old sketch where George Martin is talking about the Beatles: "Some people say Ringo wasn't the best drummer in the world. Others say he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles."

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Bobsy wrote:The best hopped up beer in Canada right now has to be DDC's Chaman.
I haven't tried DDC's Chaman yet, but Half Pints Humulus Ludicrous is just so wonderful that I am skeptical. However, if something can surpass that, I'd love to try it. Also, I haven't tried the Garrison one yet either (I'm on the 2nd order whenever that happens), so maybe the Humulus Ludicrous is 3rd even.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I'd probably take the Garrison on tap in Nova Scotia over the Chaman. Not sure about in the bottle. (I just checked, my Chaman rating was almost 4 years ago so perhaps its changed or my memory has faded... hmmm.)

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JerCraigs wrote:I'd probably take the Garrison on tap in Nova Scotia over the Chaman. Not sure about in the bottle. (I just checked, my Chaman rating was almost 4 years ago so perhaps its changed or my memory has faded... hmmm.)
I found the Garrison to be better on tap (I had it at the brewery, so it was as fresh as it could be), but I still dig the DDC more. I think I'd still put the Imperial Pale in the top 10 IPA/IIPAs in Canada.

bartle

Post by bartle »

I brought a few bottles back from tour. Thanks Daniel for the tour of the brewery.

Bottled July 28, 2009

Pour an amber to orange with a foggy haze and a moderate but nice cream white head. Fantastic retention and the lacing rings down the glass are a nice sight. On closer inspection I see some white flocs dancing around like a snow globe. Even if unfiltered I'd figure some of this would have settled out before bottling.
On, ward.

Big, bold grapefruit zest, a little hint of lime, and then the floral pine. This is a great sent. There is a little sweetness in there, reminds me of sugar crisp cereal from the malt and biscuty yeast.

Not very subtle... a punch to the tongue of hops. Dry citrus c-hops. Citrus, a little tangy orange with more floral notes. Very mild caramel and toast. Some lingering citrus zest on the palate. I must say that this is anything but balanced. Very bitter. Not complaining either.

Fairly high in carbonation, a nice mouthfeel. Dry with little residual sugars sticking to the cheeks.

I like this despite the lack of balance. It's a great beer in the midst of styles.
For me to put this in my top 10 I'd like a little more balance, but I would go for this again. I remember it being balanced more on tap.

Has anyone else noticed a lot of flocs and floaties?
Again, something I didn't notice when it was on tap.
enjoi

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

bartle wrote:Has anyone else noticed a lot of flocs and floaties?
Again, something I didn't notice when it was on tap.
Yes. It's just yeast, and also bits of hop I'm betting. And to me they add SO much to the beer, and I love it! I'd assume it wouldn't be there as much on tap because it'd all be at the bottom of the keg.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I like everything about this beer but the long boil hopping... wonderful mix of malts, good choice of hops great aroma and mouth feel, but the astringent bittering blows the balance...had the hops been infused (hop-back) or the majority pitched in the last 20 min of the boil there would be more hop taste and less bitter astringency from heat-altered alphas.

It's a small flaw but a critical one....it holds this beer back from being a great beer...as it is in this state it is 'good' .
Aventinus rules!