Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkeys - Netherworld

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Bobsy wrote:
Belgian wrote:Could it even be a touch smoky or is that a tricky thing to implement?
Surely you could just use some smoked malt?
Hmmmm...smoked flavour.....not sure I'm on the bus on that one, guys. No offense but I prefer to save smoked flavours for the bbq....
...or Hickory Sticks.
No offense to John at Church Key, either..I still like the Cascade and Centennial though.

Yours in brewing,
Peter
Imaginary Friend Expert

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Steinbier boil? :D
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

peterchiodo wrote:Nice Malt bill.....thinking 73 IBUs is a little big for Netherworld but right in line for the IPA that is likely to follow it up.

P-
Awesome! :D

(I added the emphasis).

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Flying Monkeys Netherworld - Imperial India Porter
An ugly abomination of style and appearance. Black, nutty, chocolatey, and roasty. Oh, and did I tell you I'm going to dry-hop it to to bloody hell!

I've just finished mashing-in.

Yours in brewing (something),
Peter

acromion23

Post by acromion23 »

Awesome.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

peterchiodo wrote:Flying Monkeys Netherworld - Imperial India Porter
An ugly abomination of style and appearance. Black, nutty, chocolatey, and roasty. Oh, and did I tell you I'm going to dry-hop it to to bloody hell!

Peter
If I stop by on the 31st, any chance of getting a sniff at it?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It's sounding tasty!

While there's no real definition of "Imperial", I feel it implies something with a higher abv. Others may disagree, but it would give me that expectation/preconceived notion.

How about Robust India Porter? (R.I.P.) :D

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Derek wrote:It's sounding tasty!

While there's no real definition of "Imperial", I feel it implies something with a higher abv. Others may disagree, but it would give me that expectation/preconceived notion.

How about Robust India Porter? (R.I.P.) :D
I agree for sure. I immediately assume the abv will be higher than an average brew.

BTW, this sounds awesome.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Peter

Fantastic Peter! Can't wait to try this!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Peter
Sounds delicious! I saw its on the list for cask days, so I'm looking forward to get a half or two (or three...) there. I love porters, particularly hoppy ones.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I bet our hoppy porter is better!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Will you consider making this available at the brewery?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Peter
Peter you style assassin! :lol:

When you're racking have some mercy on us pogues in the craft beer deserts of Tri cities-London and git some of thet thar nectar in bombers and on the 'BO shelves. Or at least rack some in bottles we can pick up at the brewery. 8)
Aventinus rules!

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

pootz wrote:

Peter
Peter you style assassin! :lol:

When you're racking have some mercy on us pogues in the craft beer deserts of Tri cities-London and git some of thet thar nectar in bombers and on the 'BO shelves. Or at least rack some in bottles we can pick up at the brewery. 8)
Hey Pootz/Icemachine (Peter)

I definitely plan to fire the line up for a pre-label run if the beer tastes remotely good to test (to bar towelees). I figure I'll do two rounds of dry-hopping so it should be ready in the bottle in three weeks. I've bumped up the bitterness at least 25% from Hoptical which is now at about 28IBUs. This black witch's brew can definitely handle it. Long-term, I plan to put Netherworld into 6-packs (the only way we can effectively package our beer without oxidation). We still need to conceptualize an evil package. I'm thinking of introducing it into grolwers at the brewery... but I'm not even sure.

Hey Derek..The ABV is somewhere between 6 and 7% (13-14 brix) PA*0.6-1....hence, the use of Imperial in the name. It will definitely be full-test, lead-ed beer....Knocking out of the kettle it looked like Coca Cola (chocolate and Roast). I'm dry-hopping it with both Cascade and East Kent....I figure an old-school noble hop with some west coast flare could be awesomely interesting...

Stay Tuned...
Yours in brewing,
P-

Oh, Viggo - you arrogant bastard - no holding out - how about sharing your hoppy porter with us brewers?....bring it by the brewery and we'll trade.....actually I am intrigued.....enjoy!

notdan

Post by notdan »

Can't wait to try this. I hope it's in full production when I get back to school this winter. Plus Kickoff's in Waterloo was good about getting Hoptical on tap before it was in bottles, hopefully they can grab this one too!