Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fullers IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:
For modern brews, I still think that adding crystal malt to an IPA is just wrong!

That's how I feel too. But I see a lot of IPAs that probably should be called hoppy ambers.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Continuuing on the historic tangent...

It's interesting how they also shipped porter, but handled it differently...

http://books.google.com/books?id=FdovAA ... ge&f=false

"Vast quantities are annually exported from London for America, the West Indies, India, Africa and most of the northern nations. When intended for warm climates, the porter is exposed for several days previously to its being shipped, to the open air in large vats, in order that it may flatten; as in the voyage it is fermented, and consequently by the time it reaches the place of its destination becomes so brisk and in such high order as to be fit for immediate use."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Any other sightings of Fullers IPA in town, or is that it for now?
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

http://books.google.com/books?id=WBkZAA ... ia&f=false

In the lengthy chapter on IPA in this pre-1850 book on Scotch Ale brewing, it can be seen (towards the end of the chapter at 169-170) there are two theories on shipping IPA a long distance. The author is a proponent of cleansing and racking the beer well before sending it overseas. That is, he does not want any fermentation on board the ship. The reason clearly is to avoid an uncontrolled fermentation with the possibility of significant acetic acid development. The other theory, as for porter in the extract you referred to, Derek, is to send the beer on its lees because "it never comes out so good" if you don't do this. The reason the latter theory had currency (and must have been practiced) was twofold I think: first, to ensure the beer was not flat on arrival; second, to ensure the beer was not oxidized (damp paper oxidation), because yeast in a closed vessel consumes or interacts with the air in some way to prevent or delay oxidation. This is why bottle-conditioning does not result in stale beer if done correctly. It was a trade-off though, because the re-fermentations risked ruining the brew. Maybe for porter, re-fermentation did not generally sour the beer, but possibly resulted more commonly in some brett development. Whereas for light coloured ale, perhaps for some reason it was more susceptible to turning if sent over on the lees.

This shows the significant challenges beer exporters had in the mid-1800's.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Porter was an older style that was often acidic, so I think that was just considered acceptable. It does seem that they tried to avoid the uncontrolled fermentation in the IPA though.

Some great stuff on google books... I'm liking the evolution of the digital world... hopefully it doesn't result in Judgment day! :D

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Derek wrote:... I'm liking the evolution of the digital world... hopefully it doesn't result in Judgment day! :D
Apparently, you've got 'til Sunday, December 23, 2012.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman