Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Rogue Yellow Snow

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Queef wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Recently had one of the newer bottlings. I'm sorry to say this isn't good at all. Talk about unbalanced. It's like hop juice or hop tea. Worse than Prima Pils.
it's ok to not like hops, but at least try to kind of know what you are saying.

I know that I didn't enjoy Yellow Snow, nor do I enjoy Prima Pils.
I guess I forgot that it's only YOUR opinion that really counts for something around here. Sorry, my bad. I'll quit posting my thoughts as they are obviously not in line with what I SHOULD be thinking. :roll:
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Queef

Post by Queef »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Queef wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Recently had one of the newer bottlings. I'm sorry to say this isn't good at all. Talk about unbalanced. It's like hop juice or hop tea. Worse than Prima Pils.

I guess I forgot that it's only YOUR opinion that really counts for something around here. Sorry, my bad. I'll quit posting my thoughts as they are obviously not in line with what I SHOULD be thinking. :roll:
easy tiger.

like I said, nothing wrong with not liking hops, or having an opinion, but throwing around "unbalanced" is kind of silly on both of those beers.
Just sayin'

p.s. I've posted here, what a few times? trust me, my opinion is far from what counts.
it's beer o'clock.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

the yellow snow is a total hop bomb, it doesnt have the supporting malt body that i love in IPA's. id take the DFH 60min or ST IPA over it anyday. that being said it is a good beer and its awesome to see it in our province. i love that IPA's are besoming way easier to get and i cant wait to try the brewdog.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Queef wrote:

Well Mr Roll-My-Eyes-At-You, it was rather categorical to say "this isn't good at all" but that's cool - your opinion really. I understand. You actually mean to say "I personally THINK it's not good" and I am wearing a magic decoder ring to understand people who don't even "get" Prima Pils (LOL just having fun here Len.)
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Queef wrote: it's ok to not like hops, but at least try to kind of know what you are saying.

Well Mr Roll-My-Eyes-At-You, it was rather categorical to say "this isn't good at all" but that's cool - your opinion really. I understand. You actually mean to say "I personally THINK it's not good" and I am wearing a magic decoder ring to understand people who don't even "get" Prima Pils (LOL just having fun here Len.)
You're right.
I really don't like it that much. Others love it of course, and I know quite a few folks who feel the same way I do, especially about Prima Pils. And I love hops, and I love hop bombs, just can't get into those beers for some reason.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I had a Rogue Yellow snow, followed by a ST IPA. I found the ST IPA much more enjoyable and well rounded for a hoppy IPA.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

The Yellow Snow is certainly a hop blast and sometimes that's just what is needed! I prefer the more balanced Brutal Bitter. Plenty of hops to assault my taste buds but lots of malt to back them up. The Yellow Snow just seems a tad one dimensional.

notdan

Post by notdan »

toweringpine wrote:The Yellow Snow is certainly a hop blast and sometimes that's just what is needed! I prefer the more balanced Brutal Bitter. Plenty of hops to assault my taste buds but lots of malt to back them up. The Yellow Snow just seems a tad one dimensional.
I agree with this. Yellow Snow serves its purpose but I can't see myself coming back to it too often.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote: I really don't like it that much. Others love it of course, and I know quite a few folks who feel the same way I do, especially about Prima Pils. And I love hops, and I love hop bombs, just can't get into those beers for some reason.
... and without that elusiveness of personal perfection a great glass of beer would be without its charms.
In Beerum Veritas

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

i could drink this on a regular basis.

it takes all kinds. :)

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

I prefer the Yellow Snow to the Brutal Bitter myself, simply because I don't like the heavy dose of tobacco that you get from a fresh BB. (It fades if you age it a few months).

But to be honest, it's the serving size that's gonna keep me from buying more than 3 or 4 bottles. I know it's whiny to complain about this when I should be thankful that we're getting more good American brews, but the Southern Tier and Dogfish Head are just so much more convenient in their 6 x 355 formats.

And Corne du Diable kicks all of their asses anyhow. You want balance, that's your beer.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Vet_Fuel

Post by Vet_Fuel »

With apologies to the purveyors, nay, inventors of industrial food-like substances, I'm lovin it!

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

This smells and tastes fantastic. The bitterness goes on forever though... not sure how I feel about that quite yet.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The_Jester wrote: ... and Corne du Diable kicks all of their asses anyhow. You want balance, that's your beer.
Yeah I'm wondering why GAS about other IPAs when I drink that one.

Canadian made, baby! Derniere Volante here would blow my mind also. DDC rocks.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I thought it was mediocre for an IPA. Here's my BA review:
Pours a hazy straw yellow, kinda like some melted yellow snow with a chill haze. A finger of white head forms and leaves impressive sheets of lace on the top third of the glass, while exhibiting great retention. I usually like more clarity and depth of colour in my IPAs, but I feel this fits into the whole pissing in snow vibe. The aroma lets you know that this beer is all about amarillo, and it provides a veritable showcase for the hop. Tangerine, apricot and sweet grapefruit mix in with floral notes to provide a very scented bouquet.

I don't really see anything approaching balance in the flavour, and while the bitterness is average for an IPA, the malts have gone completely AWOL and this feels far too one-sided. Again, tangerine and nectarine dominate, with the floral notes coming in at the end. The finish is long and bitter. The body is quite well done, with a soft (but steady) carbonation helping to create a smooth mouthfeel.

We may have a dearth of IPAs available in Ontario, but we have better ones than this. Its certainly quaffable, but there's little balance or complexity to it to justify the dollar value and serving size.