Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hopping Mad - Cask Version

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Hopping Mad - Cask Version

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I had this at C'est What and it was just about the perfect real ale when brewed with U.S. hops . The American hop thing isn't my favourite but the style, presented in this way, cannot be improved on. Refreshing, appetizing, clean, just first class.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

G.M. Gillman wrote:I had this at C'est What and it was just about the perfect real ale when brewed with U.S. hops . The American hop thing isn't my favourite but the style, presented in this way, cannot be improved on. Refreshing, appetizing, clean, just first class.

Gary
Were you by chance seated at the bar reading a novel just a few minutes ago?
In Beerum Veritas

bartle

Post by bartle »

the latest version I've tried leaves me craving something more...
body and hops.

I really used to dig this a few months ago. lately I just kind of pass it off...
enjoi

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Belgian, I was there last night, not reading a book but reading something else so it may have been me.

I think cask treatment best suits, for pale ale, an English-style beer, e.g., the excellent Granite IPA. I thought Double Fuggled might be in this style but they were out (that is one of the reasons I went there, to try that).

The other beer I want to try there is Great Lakes Winter Ale, I might stop by later next week for that.

Gary
Gary Gillman

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

G.M. Gillman wrote: I thought Double Fuggled might be in this style but they were out (that is one of the reasons I went there, to try that).

Gary
The Double Fuggled I had on cask at the Victory this summer was magnificent (although there was someone at the table who doesn't care for fuggles all that much -- their loss). classic earthy aroma and the right amount of bitterness.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

G.M. Gillman wrote:
The other beer I want to try there is Great Lakes Winter Ale, I might stop by later next week for that.

Gary
One of this brewery's under-rated successes. That and the Pumpkin are brilliant. The others are... also beer. LOL.
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Belgian wrote:
G.M. Gillman wrote:

Gary
One of this brewery's under-rated successes. That and the Pumpkin are brilliant. The others are... also beer. LOL.
I'd add Orange Peel to that list (I know you're not fond of it Belgian, but I like it as a Spring/Summer refresher). But you're right, the other brews are...uh... Oh hey! Look over there! (runs). Gotta try more of the GL one-offs - hope some of the better ones come into more regular production/distribution, as I can never make out out to the Project X nights...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well the Orangle Creamsicle flavors aside, I really will have to try the Orange Peel Pale a few more times. :) Great Lakes is a good local brewer. I'm just not partial to the slightly sticky pale malt sweetness in some of their beers (I guess it works well for the Pumpkin.)

Oddly, Cest What now lists the 666 Pale NOT in the category of pales and bitters, but under 'Darker Brews.' It just looks like a mis-print to me.
In Beerum Veritas

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Made it to C'est What last week and tried a few pints of this. It was very good. The bar is nice as well. I wish we had an equivalent in Ottawa.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

Ralphus wrote:Made it to C'est What last week and tried a few pints of this. It was very good. The bar is nice as well. I wish we had an equivalent in Ottawa.
i made my maiden voyage to c'est what last weekend and this was the first beer i went to. imo, it was the best beer i had all night and i've been craving it ever since; good thing i'm going back tomorrow. :)

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Should've mentioned you were in town - I would have gladly went out for a couple pints.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Next time! I was there with my wife and we missed our flight to Heathrow due to the snow last Wednesday and had to fly out the following night. We had the day to kill with no idea of what to do, until I saw a little C'est What card in the hotel.. suddenly it was all so clear.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

drank a couple more pints of this again last night, easily one of the most enjoyable beers i've ever had.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Had a pint of this yesterday afternoon at Bryden's, freshly tapped.
What a great beer!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Sorry for my ingnorance, I'm not familiar with Hopping Mad and I can't quite decifer from this string if it is brewed by Great Lakes or not. Can someone please clarify.