Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beau's Lug Tread

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Beau's Lug Tread

Post by mintjellie »

I was excited to see this at my local LCBO. I've seen it spoken of very well on the forums, and have wanted to try it for awhile now. I really don't get why though. I loved the lemon and bread flavours, and the creamy mouthfeel. Unfortunately, I didn't like that note of overcooked boiled vegetables. I was reminded of Nickel Brook Organic towards the end, though it's nowhere near as bad.

Maybe it's just a sub-par batch. It's not terrible, but I really see no need to buy it again. It would have be a lot better than what it is at that price point.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I thought the Lug Tread was tasty enough. I didn't find any boiled vegetables in my bottle but I agree that it wasn't special enough to justify the price. The fancy bottles may be good to get people to try it at the first time but I think they probably add so much to the price that they will keep people from buying lots of it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

There's no reason to pay a few extra dollars to get that beer in ceramic. It's not an Imperial Stout that will age for a year or two. It isn't a monster hoppy deluxe IPA that one might want to shield from light damage. The expense of the bottle is not recoverable in any way.

But it is a pretty good everyday beer. I wish them luck with the product esp on draught.
In Beerum Veritas

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I had a growler of lug tread a few months ago and I noted a vegetableness to it.. which is strange because they are normally great and being a growler I thought it would have been about as good a shape as I could get it in. Since then my lug treads have all been rock solid though, so give it another shot. You'll likely find its better.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

toweringpine wrote:The fancy bottles may be good to get people to try it at the first time but I think they probably add so much to the price that they will keep people from buying lots of it.
I expect that we will start seeing this in different bottles soon, which should help bring the price down by a couple of dollars.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

As I understand it, they were looking for a unique bottle for their beer in order for it to stand out. But I don't think that they knew exactly what they were getting into with the amount of labour involved in servicing those ceramic bottles.

It's no doubt that they are cool but a more efficient packaging is on it's way as above.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Hmmmm, I've had numerous of the ceramic bottles, and found them to be excellent. We're now running it on our rotating tap at Castro's Lounge in the Beach; our first 30 was done in 4 days. We'll have it for the rest of February, if anybody is around and interested in having it on tap.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

cfrancis wrote:As I understand it, they were looking for a unique bottle for their beer in order for it to stand out. But I don't think that they knew exactly what they were getting into with the amount of labour involved in servicing those ceramic bottles.

It's no doubt that they are cool but a more efficient packaging is on it's way as above.
Yea the amount of work it takes to fill those bottles is insane. I went on a tour of Beau's last summer, and basically they keg everything straight from the tanks. Then there is a guy working non stop loading bottles two at a time from one pallet into a machine, then pressing a button to fill them from a keg, then he seals the caps and moves them onto another pallet.