Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beau's Bogwater

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Beau's Bogwater

Post by Bytowner »

I tried Bogwater when it first came out a couple years ago. It was a novelty beer, glad I had tasted it, but wasn't overly impressed.

I had a chance to revisit it on tap at Allium restaurant here in Ottawa last night. I was very impressed. I'm not sure whether it's been changed since that first batch, or I have, or the temperature was different etc. etc. etc. but I just couldn't get enough of it.

Most interesting to me, it seemed to have a dunkel weizen type malt character which I didn't notice last time that played well with the bog myrtle. So, for any Ottawa folks, I'd suggest you seek it out.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I had a pint from cask at the Cheshire Cat Saturday. It was decent and the myrtle was more evident than I remember from last year.

Mr. Lou Pepe

Post by Mr. Lou Pepe »

Tried it on cask - very strange beer, indeed interesting.
They brew it with the bog myrtle plant which replaces the 'hop'. I like it when Brewers experiment, but this may be a bit to far?

**EDIT** forgot to mention, it is a dirty brown ale, (dubbel style), and they use Trappist yeast.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

I consider myself a fan of Bogwater and I also noticed a difference between what I had this year at the Cheshire Cat and what I had last year at Beau's (and the growler I took home). I hope to make it back to the 'Hill to pick up some more before it sells out. My only complaint with Beau's is that the seasonals disappear too quickly.

Queef

Post by Queef »

Inkling wrote:I consider myself a fan of Bogwater and I also noticed a difference between what I had this year at the Cheshire Cat and what I had last year at Beau's (and the growler I took home). I hope to make it back to the 'Hill to pick up some more before it sells out. My only complaint with Beau's is that the seasonals disappear too quickly.
Pretty sure the cask at Cheshire Cat is Treading Water, a blend between Bogwater and Lug Tread, not positive though.
It (Bogwater) seems more Belgian-esque this year, compared to the past. Yeast change maybe?
it's beer o'clock.

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Hey There,

We have made a few important tweeks to BogWater this year. We used a belgian abbey yeast strain, which really adds character that compliments the bogmyrtle.

We also got the bogmyrtle dried out more this year - when used fresh it has more of a weed-like aroma and when dried it is earthier.

It is definitely intended to be a challenging beer and I appreciate folks who come back to it for a second round.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I've yet to have the Bogwater, but I did find some Treading Water on cask a while back, and thought it made an excellent pint. I'm yet to have a bad beer from Beau's and I'm highly anticipating drinking their IPA on some sunny patio this summer. If I could bottle any one Ontario beer that would be a leading contender.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

It's definitely improved Steve, I tried it again at Johnny Farina's last night. Well done on the tweaking.

Queef

Post by Queef »

Had a discussion with a friend about this, and wondering if I am right.
There are NO hops in Bogwater, right? He was thinking the myrtle was just a complimenting spice, but I thought someone at the brewery had told me last year (maybe year before) that it was just the bog myrtle and no hopping whatsoever.
it's beer o'clock.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Queef wrote:Had a discussion with a friend about this, and wondering if I am right.
There are NO hops in Bogwater, right? He was thinking the myrtle was just a complimenting spice, but I thought someone at the brewery had told me last year (maybe year before) that it was just the bog myrtle and no hopping whatsoever.
Heh, I believe Beaus has always told the LCBO there were hops in it.

Queef

Post by Queef »

Bytowner wrote:
Queef wrote:Had a discussion with a friend about this, and wondering if I am right.
Heh, I believe Beaus has always told the LCBO there were hops in it.
but it's not available in the LCBO
it's beer o'clock.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Queef wrote: but it's not available in the LCBO
I could be wrong, maybe it was CFIA or something like that, but I thought it was for LCBO classification purposes.

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

You need LCBO approval to sell it at all, for some reason. The 'official' recipe has exactly 1 hop pellet because it legally can't be sold as beer without some amount of hops.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

SteveB wrote:You need LCBO approval to sell it at all, for some reason. The 'official' recipe has exactly 1 hop pellet because it legally can't be sold as beer without some amount of hops.
What about the Traditional Scottish Ales gift pack? I could be mistaken, but was under the impression that those (or at least some of them) lacked hops and contained various native herbs as flavouring agents...?

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

SteveB wrote:[...]it legally can't be sold as beer without some amount of hops.
So how is Molbatts legally allowed to sell their beer then? Badumbum! (Sorry, someone had to...)