Great Lakes Canuck Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

carguy
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:13 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ontario

Postby carguy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:14 pm

I've had two bottles, one I bought in Stratford, the second in Guelph, and both tasted good to me. I'd buy it again.
User avatar
Ralphus
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:43 pm
Location: Almonte, ON
Contact:

Postby Ralphus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:35 pm

I've had four bottles so far. The first two were quite hoppy, the second two less so. All have been enjoyable.
Mr.X
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:58 pm

Postby Mr.X » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:12 am

I got 6 bottles from the brewery about 3 weeks ago. 2 were horrible and almost undrinkable with the butter flavour that has been described here. The other 4 were fantastic, nice and hoppy. I think i'll wait till they clean up the quality issues before buying again though.

I made beer batter for fish with my buttery ones...good use for it.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9898
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:37 pm

I must have horseshoes with Ontario brewers, never had an infected SI Stewarts Session, most Trafalgars have not been a vinegar volcano (just one Irish Ale has) and this GL product has just been really promising.

'Then again - I tend never to buy stuff if I know has been in stores a good while (Heritage SI and Trafalgar) so it's statistically probable I'm avoiding the worst bottles with my Fresh Beer Ethic...

Diacetyl is from brewing not from shelf aging (GL products seem to hold up very well once brewed.)
In Beerum Veritas
trub_man
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:00 pm

Postby trub_man » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:32 pm

Belgian wrote:Diacetyl is from brewing not from shelf aging (GL products seem to hold up very well once brewed.)


How about bacteria - pediococcus can from high levels of diacetyl in beer.

If pedio was present, possible secondary contamination ie at filler or crowner and the bottles were improperly pasteurized there might be some residual activity and therefore the sporadic infection. What I mean to say is some bottles were properly pasteurized others were not and became infected.
velovampire
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:12 pm
Location: Parkdale

Postby velovampire » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:26 pm

trub_man wrote:
Belgian wrote:Diacetyl is from brewing not from shelf aging (GL products seem to hold up very well once brewed.)


How about bacteria - pediococcus can from high levels of diacetyl in beer.

If pedio was present, possible secondary contamination ie at filler or crowner and the bottles were improperly pasteurized there might be some residual activity and therefore the sporadic infection. What I mean to say is some bottles were properly pasteurized others were not and became infected.

That makes more sense than diacetyl coming from the brewing in this specific case.

Didn't GL just brew up one batch of this beer? If so, it would seem odd that some samples are infected and others are not (as has been my experience, as well as others on here) if the diacetyl occurred in the brewing stage. However, if it came from improper sanitation, that would explain the inconsistency of the beer.

FWIW, all draught samples I've had have been virtually diacetyl-free, whereas bottled samples are a shot in the dark, and skew toward the buttery. When this beer is clean, though, it's highly enjoyable - hope they get the issue sorted and do up another batch sooner than later.

Thanks for the info Jamie!
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9898
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks for clarification. I wrongly ass-umed that this effect which CAN come from brewing DOES in this case, of course not understanding.

Can diacetyl increase in the bottle over time
, and does it depend on storage?

Can one person be insensitive to it? I sure notice buttery toasted oak flavor in wines (eg. those sweet raspberry-jam-on-toast Aussie shiraz wines. Blech.)
In Beerum Veritas
phat matt
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:33 am
Location: 905

Postby phat matt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:19 am

0I bought a bottle of this beer last weekend and found it had a metalic taaste to it. the first time i had it there wasnt any off flavors and it was from a bottle to. Either way ill give this beer another go and see what happens from there.
User avatar
SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 4613
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON
Contact:

Postby SteelbackGuy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:55 am

I had a bottre a coupre days ago.
This particurar bottre was rearry dericious. Everyone rearry rearry riked the fravours.
Good citrus hops with barancing marts.
My favourite corour is navy brue.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!
Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Mechanicsville, Ottawa

Postby Bytowner » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:00 am

phat matt wrote:0I bought a bottle of this beer last weekend and found it had a metalic taaste to it. the first time i had it there wasnt any off flavors and it was from a bottle to. Either way ill give this beer another go and see what happens from there.


I find most GL brews, with the exception of Devil's, have a bit of a metalic tinge accompanied with a sort of thin body. Doesn't make them bad, but it's a house quality that I could do without.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9898
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:14 am

SteelbackGuy wrote:This particurar bottre was rearry dericious. Everyone rearry rearry riked the fravours.
.


"I'm so ronery,
just a riddle ronery...
poor riddle me...."


Image
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Bobsy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2222
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Maple
Contact:

Postby Bobsy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:28 am

Can we please dispense with the racial slant in the past few posts? Its not relevant to the discussion and its also insulting to mock people because of their accents.
User avatar
SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 4613
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON
Contact:

Postby SteelbackGuy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:33 am

Bobsy wrote:Can we please dispense with the racial slant in the past few posts? Its not relevant to the discussion and its also insulting to mock people because of their accents.



Naw. I won't be stopping. It is way too funny, and is a major source of entertainment for quite a few London and area bartowellers.
It is an inside joke and actually has nothing to do with race whatsoever. That is an assumption.
Besides,I'm not the one who put up a picture of an Asian guy.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!
User avatar
Bobsy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2222
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Maple
Contact:

Postby Bobsy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:40 am

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Can we please dispense with the racial slant in the past few posts? Its not relevant to the discussion and its also insulting to mock people because of their accents.



Naw. I won't be stopping. It is way too funny, and is a major source of entertainment for quite a few London and area bartowellers.
It is an inside joke and actually has nothing to do with race whatsoever. That is an assumption.
Besides,I'm not the one who put up a picture of an Asian guy.


I can't tell you what to do, but I know if I was Asian and came across this I probably wouldn't have a favourable opinion of the bartowel community, even though you don't mean harm by it.

Anyway, back to the beer - is this going to be a one-off release or will it be slotted into the annual rotation? I know Green Tea has bitten the dust...
JB
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:47 am

Postby JB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:55 am

Wow, quite a bit of discussion about our latest beer here. Interesting to hear the variety of responses and feedback.

As most of you know, Canuck Pale Ale was based on a number of pilot brews we've done over the past few months. We scaled up the recipe for the brewhouse, and have been tinkering with it during the 3 batches we've done.

I agree that there has been some of that buttery/bready flavour in some of the early bottles. Some people are also more sensitive to this flavour than others (it took me a while to notice it). Certainly the majority of responses we've heard from customers here at the brewery are positive, with no mention of that diacetyl flavour.

We're disappointed to hear that some people didn't enjoy the beer, but the vast majority of people have liked it. Regardless, we went over the process and made some adjustments on our final batch, which I think is truer to our intention than the first two batches. All the draught that's out there now and the most recent run of bottles is from our final batch. For those of you who found an issue with the beer, we hope that you'll consider giving it another chance.

Hope this sheds some light on the situation.

Cheers,
John

Return to “Beer Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest