Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Canuck Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Garthicus wrote:I'm enjoying a bottle of it right now
I had a bottle that was pretty fantastic, next LCBO I'm grabbing that one and some Southern Tier (if I can find ST, it runs out.)
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Garthicus wrote:I'm enjoying a bottle of it right now

mmmmmmm boy butterscotch :wink:
Aventinus rules!

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I thought you guys were possibly exaggerating about the butter flavour in the bottles of this, but unfortunately you weren't. Too bad. There isn't even the same taste of hops that I loved on tap. I've had only 3 or 4 sips so far and I think I'm going to drain pour, which I have never done before. I will not even consider buying more until l I hear many positive reviews in a row.

I just need to decide what to do with my 2nd bottle because I have no plans on drinking it. Does anyone have any recipe suggestions that involve butter flavoured beer?

woodpecker

Post by woodpecker »

seriously!
can these guys do no wrong?
the pumpkin ale rawks.
the winter ale rawks.
and now this?
3 in a row = fan!

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I was a fan of the Winter and the Pumpkin. Didn't really like the Pale ale. May have been something off. I will try it once more.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

woodpecker wrote:seriously!
can these guys do no wrong?
the pumpkin ale rawks.
the winter ale rawks.
and now this?
3 in a row = fan!
Well unfortunately my bottle was wrong. I like the GL Pumpkin and Winter but I must have got one of the "off" bottles people have been mentioning. I'm afraid to buy another.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Timmy wrote: May have been something off. I will try it once more.
I'm sure the Brewer and the Elsie won't mind if we return faulty bottles of Great Lakes Canuck Pale Ale for a refund or an exchange.

We don't have a perfect system, but it does have a feedback mechanism we should use - in fact, it removes all risk of trying products, so it's probably good for sales in the long run.

I've returned all kinds of LC products just thinking they were poorly made, let alone damaged or defective. Reason given: "Disappointing quality."
In Beerum Veritas

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Belgian wrote:
I'm sure the Brewer and the Elsie won't mind if we return faulty bottles of Great Lakes Canuck Pale Ale for a refund or an exchange.

We don't have a perfect system, but it does have a feedback mechanism we should use - in fact, it removes all risk of trying products, so it's probably good for sales in the long run.

I've returned all kinds of LC products just thinking they were poorly made, let alone damaged or defective. Reason given: "Disappointing quality."

Can you get your money back for beer that was off even if you poured it down the drain (but I still have the empty bottle)? I have one unopened bottle that I may return.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

kwjd wrote:
Belgian wrote:

Can you get your money back for beer that was off even if you poured it down the drain (but I still have the empty bottle)? I have one unopened bottle that I may return.

Most managers will not authorize a return if the bottle is empty. They'd assume you drank it, and are trying to get a free beer.

Next time, just keep whatever contents are in the bottle, cap it, or put saran over it, and being it in.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

C- / 2.7
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 2
rDev: -20.4%

Clear copper orange with a billowing eggshell head. Long lasting foam leaves behind a thick lace. Bready malt and piney citrus hop aromas struggle beneath excessive diacetyl that overwhelms with the scent of popcorn butter and cheap butterscotch syrup. The taste is slightly less offensive, which isn't saying much. It's buttery like the scent suggests, but with a juicy tangerine & pine hop character. Malts give a slight toasted bread flavour to a beer otherwise weighted towards the humulus lupulus. Finishes with a hint of mint and firm, lingering bitterness. Almost medium-bodied with medium carbonation and a slick, oily mouthfeel. It's not undrinkable, but off-scents and off-flavours spoil what would otherwise be a lovely pale ale.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 02-22-2010 21:43:55

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Next time, just keep whatever contents are in the bottle, cap it, or put saran over it, and bring it in
Do the labs actually test the retuned beers and wines to verify what's actually in the bottle & test what's wrong with it? Where does the information go?
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: Next time, just keep whatever contents are in the bottle, cap it, or put saran over it, and bring it in
Do the labs actually test the retuned beers and wines to verify what's actually in the bottle & test what's wrong with it? Where does the information go?
When you bring a bottle back for a complaint, we file what is called customer complaint. Here are some of the categories:

Sediment/Particles
Leaking
Oxidized
Lacks Freshness
Didn't Like
Vinegary
Insects

Did the product make you ill?

And there are quite a few more options.

After we choose a reason, we gather some information from you, and a report prints out. That report is taped to the bottle, and the info is sent along to quality control.

Which is why it is IMPERATIVE that people actually file these complaints if we want to make a difference.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

I gave my other bottles of this away... it's terrible.

I did give it a chance on tap and it's better. I can still taste the butter but I wonder if I wouldn't notice it nearly as much if I hadn't had already drank the liquid butter in bottles. On tap it's tolerable but I still opted to go with something else after my first pint.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

One on tap, twice in bottle - no butter problems for me.

Is the perception of diacetyl 'hot butter' flavor different for everyone, because I'm definitely not getting any buttercotch lifesavers effect at all. Maybe a bit of a 'British' earthy-fruit quality I associate with beers from Old Mill/Elora (does this brewer show an acceptable bit of diacetyl?)
In Beerum Veritas

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

So I decided to open up my 2nd bottle instead of returning it because there has been enough positive reviews here. It actually is a lot better than the first bottle I opened, which I probably only made it through 100 mL before dumping it. Still not impressed though... I won't buy again likely.