Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

St-Ambroise Stout Impériale Russe

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

St-Ambroise Stout Impériale Russe

Post by Bobsy »

Drank a bottle of the SA RIS last night, and I figured as its coming into the LCBO I'd post my BA review:
This is a wonderfully packaged beer, and the pour continues that. A pitch balck body sits under a resplendent foamy mocha head that leaves streaks and globs of lace on the glass. Retention is fairly decent, and my last sip still has a patchy film on it. Nice combo of espresso and tobacco in the aroma, with slight hints of wood and vanilla. Bourbon notes come through as it warms, but are not as strong as expected, but better balanced for it.

Flavour is pretty good. The coffee leads off, and melts into dark chocolate, with an underlying smokiness. The bourbon character is mild but present throughout and adds a nice complexity. Some spiciness and a nice sweetness. Something is missing that fails to push this to the next level, but its still enjoyable for what it is. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy, with a nicely alleviating carbonation. Alcohol is AWOL and this is extremely easy to drink.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Yeah it is a very interesting brew as mentionned in the original thread.

Over here in the QC, its 5.99 a tube. Have any idea what price will it be in Ontario? Lots of interesting Oak Aged beers coming from Quebec recently.

Dieu du Ciel! have Pinot Noir Oak aged Dernière Volonté, and Specialty Oak Aged Solstice D'Hiver barleywine that is simply splendid also.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Sounds delish, when is it coming to the LC?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Jan Primus wrote:Sounds delish, when is it coming to the LC?
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

I got a bottle in Calgary... there is so little of it, they aren't even putting it on the shelves there... just selling it to those in the know.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Mark I think a number of cases of this are already earmarked for the LCBO.
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I heard that the remaining cases at MacAuslan were all going to Ontario.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

That's cool if you guys are getting some, but I imagine it will be a small amount, as far as I know, it is a very limited brew.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

markaberrant wrote:That's cool if you guys are getting some, but I imagine it will be a small amount, as far as I know, it is a very limited brew.
Somewhere on here, was it not a few hundred cases?

Any rate, gotta be easier for SA to sell the whole remaining lot to a big provincial system, rather than ship much smaller lots of it here & there.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:
markaberrant wrote:That's cool if you guys are getting some, but I imagine it will be a small amount, as far as I know, it is a very limited brew.
Somewhere on here, was it not a few hundred cases?
It was mentioned over in the Spring Release thread that the LCBO is getting the last 170 cases.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

This is one damn good Impy stout. I drank my one and only bottle tonight. Very well rounded for being relatively young. Like Bobsy mentioned, the bourbon barrel aging is complimentary rather than overwhelming. The mouthfeel is nothing short of luxurious. If you can pick up multiple bottles when it hits the LCBO shelves, I'd highly recommend laying a few down as this baby will only get better with age.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I picked up two bottles in Gatineau this weekend. Looking forward to trying it!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Any news on when this one might arrive? I thought I heard mention of early to mid-March...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Bobsy wrote:Any news on when this one might arrive? I thought I heard mention of early to mid-March...
get ye to younge and summerhill, they have 44

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

matt7215 wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Any news on when this one might arrive? I thought I heard mention of early to mid-March...
Thanks for the heads up. Went to the Queen's Quay at lunch. There were still several left on the shelf, but not much. Looks like Summerhill got more in.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

matt7215 wrote:
Best put my running shoes on...