Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Smashbomb Atomic IPA: Blind Tasting

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Rejected by the LCBO today for Social Responsibility reasons.
It will be released to micro-supportive Beer Stores in 4 - 6 weeks. We will be giving Molson and Labbatt $2600 for the sku listing and $280 or so for each store we list at. It hurts.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

peterchiodo wrote:Rejected by the LCBO today for Social Responsibility reasons.
It will be released to micro-supportive Beer Stores in 4 - 6 weeks. We will be giving Molson and Labbatt $2600 for the sku listing and $280 or so for each store we list at. It hurts.
I'm sorry, Peter, that's gotta sting. So incredibly ridiculous. I only hope a BS near me gets it, I was planning on this being my summer staple.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

velovampire wrote:
I'm sorry, Peter, that's gotta sting. So incredibly ridiculous. I only hope a BS near me gets it, I was planning on this being my summer staple.
Let us know your local beer store and we will stock it for you.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Oh thank GOD. I was so worried that it would get through and I would start buying like, a**loads of it, getting unacceptably hammered all the time, in public, giving it to children, you know, real society-damaging stuff that I need to be saved from as I haven't got the self control to not do it. Government has saved me from myself yet again.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

peterchiodo wrote:
velovampire wrote:
Let us know your local beer store and we will stock it for you.
65 Brock Ave or 904 Dufferin St, Toronto (Brock's closer, but Dufferin's a walk-in, so may be preferable). Thanks Peter, keep fighting the good fight. Now I've just gotta wait 4-6 weeks...

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Oh God. It takes every fiber in my body not to go on a redundant, long-winded rant here... let me just say that the LCBO's definition of "social responsibility" differs from mine on a very fundamental level. I'm sorry Peter, and all those (like myself) who have been patiently awaiting Smashbomb's arrival.

On a similar note, a friend of mine who manages a *lounge* - a very high-end, membership only, very exclusive lounge where all the drinks are free at that - was reprimanded for putting a small martini menu on the bar counter! They said - and I quote here word for word: "you can't encourage them to drink more like that". :roll: God help us all.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

That is terrible news. Do they give any reason as to why it wasnt socially responsible? You would think that they would give you a list of ways to make it conform to there standards. I dont hate going to the beer store more than the lcbo, but i will go for this beer. Please let us know which beer stores will be carrying it, so I can easily find it. there is a great walk in store on wellend ave in st catharines. I have seen 2 of your other brands there.

Thank you for continuing to try and change beer in ontario.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

phat matt wrote:That is terrible news. Do they give any reason as to why it wasnt socially responsible? You would think that they would give you a list of ways to make it conform to there standards.

Yes, the LCBO stated the name would have to be completely changed. Smashbomb is/was too extreme and the packaging was not politically correct for what is going on in the world.

The LCBO tried to move it through on our behalf. From what I gathered, Social Responsibility has the unusual power to veto any product. Thankfully, we do have options unlike wineries.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

peterchiodo wrote:
phat matt wrote:That is terrible news. Do they give any reason as to why it wasnt socially responsible? You would think that they would give you a list of ways to make it conform to there standards.

Yes, the LCBO stated the name would have to be completely changed. Smashbomb is/was too extreme and the packaging was not politically correct for what is going on in the world.

The LCBO tried to move it through on our behalf. From what I gathered, Social Responsibility has the unusual power to veto any product. Thankfully, we do have options unlike wineries.
This is absolutely ridiculous. I have been looking forward to this beer at the LCBO for months.

I have not been in a beer store for years but would make an exception of my local store stocks Smash Bomb. Hopefully we will see it at the Winston Churchill/Eglinton store...

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Peter,

Plus do post the beer stores where this is available. I will most definitely purchase cases of the stuff to show my support.

Is there any way we can vent or anger/disappointment regarding this decision in a meaningful way?

Ken

myturn4fun

Post by myturn4fun »

You will be able to sell this out of the brewery, won't you? Please tell me they don't have the power to take that away from you!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I am disappointed if not entirely surprised :( Can you resubmit as "The Beer Name the LCBO doesn't think you can handle"? Is it legal to market it as "So awesome it was banned by the LCBO!" :)

Apparently Epic Ales got so frustrated with the system down south that they sent in a bit of a protest:
Finally, a frustrated Morris submitted paperwork for a product called Simple Ale, whose label is printed in a generic black and white with simple block lettering and no extraneous designs. That one sailed through.
Link

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JerCraigs wrote:I am disappointed if not entirely surprised :( Can you resubmit as "The Beer Name the LCBO doesn't think you can handle"? Is it legal to market it as "So awesome it was banned by the LCBO!" :)

Apparently Epic Ales got so frustrated with the system down south that they sent in a bit of a protest:
Finally, a frustrated Morris submitted paperwork for a product called Simple Ale, whose label is printed in a generic black and white with simple block lettering and no extraneous designs. That one sailed through.
Link

Ohh but Jer, this stuff ONLY happens in Ontario. You know, the "Communist" province that it is!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

would love to see this listed in one of the kitchener or waterloo beer stores. Maybe the one on Weber in Waterloo, or Victoria St. N in Kitchener

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I figured the reason they gave for rejecting it would be moronic and the BO didn't disappoint.

Here's hoping it's in one of the Beer Stores closer to Newmarket/Aurora