Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Smashbomb Atomic IPA: Blind Tasting

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Submitted my email to complain, which I'm sure won't ever get seen by anyone who should see it.

Hopefully this stuff sells like gangbusters at the Beer Store. After I buy my case of course.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I'm going to phone my MPP and complain about this tomorrow.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Emailed my MPP, referencing Dalton McGuinty's Youtube video encouraging local craft beer, and how the SR's decision does not encourage that. Let's make beer this year's election issue!
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

icemachine wrote:Emailed my MPP, referencing Dalton McGuinty's Youtube video encouraging local craft beer, and how the SR's decision does not encourage that. Let's make beer this year's election issue!
Thanks guys....every little bit helps!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:And might I suggest (beg?) that you list it in at least one Scarborough East/Pickering/Ajax area store?
The TBS at Kingston and Victoria Park seems pretty sophisticated. Customers are Beaches dads / Yuppies and I see people from the entertainment industry. Let's just say good, interesting-looking products do tend to sell out there, because people coming there have cool taste.
In Beerum Veritas

DaPan

Post by DaPan »

Please stock a Richmond Hill store. Highway 7 and Yonge will give you good exposure. Especially if frustrated beer enthusiasts leaving the LCBO only need cross the parking lot.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

DaPan wrote:Please stock a Richmond Hill store. Highway 7 and Yonge will give you good exposure. Especially if frustrated beer enthusiasts leaving the LCBO only need cross the parking lot.
I hate that store. Good for returns and nothing else. Ask for a sixer of something like Wellington or Unibroue and they act like its such a fucking hassle.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

Flying Monkey's brought this up on their facebook page, but for those who haven't seen there was a pretty good article in the Torontoist yesterday on this issue. Some interesting discussions have stemmed out of it too.

http://torontoist.com/2011/03/is_local_ ... e_lcbo.php

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

"as Chiodo points out, 'Smash' is actually shorthand for 'Single Malt and Single Hops,'"

Is Smash Bomb actually a SMaSH beer?

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

ritzkiss wrote:"as Chiodo points out, 'Smash' is actually shorthand for 'Single Malt and Single Hops,'"

not according to their website, 4 different malts and 2 different hops.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

peterchiodo wrote:
icemachine wrote:Emailed my MPP, referencing Dalton McGuinty's Youtube video encouraging local craft beer, and how the SR's decision does not encourage that. Let's make beer this year's election issue!
Thanks guys....every little bit helps!
Did the same, and CC'd it to some higher ups at the LCBO.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

bufordsbest wrote:
ritzkiss wrote:"as Chiodo points out, 'Smash' is actually shorthand for 'Single Malt and Single Hops,'"

Seems like a poor way to make the name seem more socially responsible then. Not justifying the SR decision, it's a silly one, but it seems sort of underhanded to use SMaSH as an excuse when it's nothing of the sort and there was no intention of the name used in that way. Just saying.

Flood

Post by Flood »

ritzkiss wrote:
bufordsbest wrote:

Seems like a poor way to make the name seem more socially responsible then. Not justifying the SR decision, it's a silly one, but it seems sort of underhanded to use SMaSH as an excuse when it's nothing of the sort and there was no intention of the name used in that way. Just saying.
SmashBomb has undergone several revisions from its original recipe. These revisions were conducted based upon comments, critiques and thoughts collected from beer geeks, homebrewers, professional brewers and general beer fanatics. However, the initial recipe was indeed composed of a single malt/single hop (SMaSH) format. I do not believe any underhandedness was intended during the explanation of the beer's name to SR.

For the purposes of getting it past all the 'red tape' of SR, maybe it should be called 'The Canadian Maple Leaf of Peace IPA' :P
beer up

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Flood wrote:
ritzkiss wrote:
bufordsbest wrote: not according to their website, 4 different malts and 2 different hops.
SmashBomb has undergone several revisions from its original recipe. These revisions were conducted based upon comments, critiques and thoughts collected from beer geeks, homebrewers, professional brewers and general beer fanatics. However, the initial recipe was indeed composed of a single malt/single hop (SMaSH) format. I do not believe any underhandedness was intended during the explanation of the beer's name to SR.

For the purposes of getting it past all the 'red tape' of SR, maybe it should be called 'The Canadian Maple Leaf of Peace IPA' :P
Thanks for the clarification, that was why I asked originally. Hopefully Peter has no problems selling this out and, perhaps in the future, either the LCBO will lighten up or there are some modifications made. Hate to see a beer not make it on name alone, let the quality decide.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

Flood wrote:
ritzkiss wrote:
bufordsbest wrote: not according to their website, 4 different malts and 2 different hops.

interesting, thanks for the clarification.