Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Smashbomb Atomic IPA: Blind Tasting

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

peterchiodo

Smashbomb Atomic IPA: Blind Tasting

Post by peterchiodo »

Coming soon to a theatre near you.

Maiden Brew: May 5th, 2010
Style: Strong IPA West Coast Style
IBUs: 67-73
Colour: SRM 8.0
%Alc 6.2%

Hopping:
Early Hops - Centennial (Wort/mash)
Early Hops - Centennial (First Runnings)
Kettle Hops - Centennial (1st Bittering)
Kettle Hops - Centennial (2nd 15m EOB)
Kettle Hops – Centennial/Citra (3rd EOB)
Late Hop Additions- Citra (whirlpool)
Late Hop Additions- Citra (FV Cool-in)
Dry Hop – Citra through the hoppapotamus
Cask Hop – Citra (cask only)

Experimental Recipe by Peter, brewed by Yoey. We honestly couldn't think of anywhere else to add hops.
Last edited by peterchiodo on Mon May 31, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

peterchiodo wrote:Coming soon to a theatre near you.

Maiden Brew: May 5th, 2010
Style: Strong IPA West Coast Style
IBUs: 67-73
Colour: SRM 8.0
%Alc 6.2%

Hopping:
Early Hops - Centennial (Wort/mash)
Early Hops - Centennial (First Runnings)
Kettle Hops - Centennial (1st Bittering)
Kettle Hops - Centennial (2nd 15m EOB)
Kettle Hops – Centennial/Citra (3rd EOB)
Late Hop Additions- Citra (whirlpool)
Late Hop Additions- Citra (FV Cool-in)
Dry Hop – Citra through the hoppapotamus
Cask Hop – Citra (cask only)

Experimental Recipe by Peter, brewed by Yoey. We honestly couldn't think of anywhere else to add hops.
any chance of bottling that sucker, pete?

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Sounds great. Like the name too!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

That sounds pretty awesome to me. Keep up the good work.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Yes, we will bottle it if it turns out good. We have experimented with a few new things so I'm not sure how this batch is going to turn out.
P-

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Nice to see you're doing some casks of this - hope it works out and looking forward to trying it! The province sorely needs some more hoppy beers, and after the success of ten bitter years I'm hoping the brewers are recognising that.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Bobsy wrote:The province sorely needs some more hoppy beers
Do I ever agree.
P-

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

What's the status on Netherworlds LCBO approval? Last I stopped by the brewery I was told that the lab rats were still analyzing it. Will it be on shelves by fall?

Do you still plan on putting your IPA in the LCBO? And how is that DIPA coming along?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

peterchiodo wrote:Yes, we will bottle it if it turns out good. We have experimented with a few new things so I'm not sure how this batch is going to turn out.
P-
In my limited experience, I have found citra hops in large amounts to be overly "lemony." Can you comment on how this one is?

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

markaberrant wrote:
peterchiodo wrote:Yes, we will bottle it if it turns out good. We have experimented with a few new things so I'm not sure how this batch is going to turn out.
P-
In my limited experience, I have found citra hops in large amounts to be overly "lemony." Can you comment on how this one is?
Sampled from the FV today (before dry hopping) I got citrus, grapefruit, lemon, lime, and maybe even pineapple. It is a weird hop with nuances very different from Cascade.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

mintjellie wrote:What's the status on Netherworlds LCBO approval? Last I stopped by the brewery I was told that the lab rats were still analyzing it. Will it be on shelves by fall?

Do you still plan on putting your IPA in the LCBO? And how is that DIPA coming along?
Netherworld was approved a week and a half ago by the LCBO --so that is friggin' awesome. I'm pretty sure we squeaked it into Discovery pack #7 or #8 due out in the late fall. We are in concept generation mode on the packaging and it is a bitch.

We plan on listing Smashbomb in the LCBO if it is approved and not held up Social Responsibility. So far, I'm really in love with this beer more than I was with Hoptical.

We decided to tame our Strong West Coast IPA first before we tackled the DIPA. We debated this one for hours last week.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

The goal (this sounds so lame) of Smashbomb was to test the limits of hopping by experimenting with hops everywhere in the brew and FV....even in the mash.

I'm planning on doing private blind taste tests with Alpha King on June 19th if everything goes well. We are planning a tentative release party on this date as well. The taste test will be private and only involve a dozen Bar towelers. Again, it depends on my comfort level and the outcome of this first experiment. Bottles won't be available to Bartowlers until after the blind taste trials.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

markaberrant wrote:
P-
I wish I could send you a bottle of this - http://hartandthistle.blogspot.com/2010 ... -dipa.html - lemon was no issue at all. More orange and tropical fruit. And absolutely delicious.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

peterchiodo wrote:
mintjellie wrote:What's the status on Netherworlds LCBO approval? Last I stopped by the brewery I was told that the lab rats were still analyzing it. Will it be on shelves by fall?

Netherworld was approved a week and a half ago by the LCBO --so that is friggin' awesome. I'm pretty sure we squeaked it into Discovery pack #7 or #8 due out in the late fall. We are in concept generation mode on the packaging and it is a bitch.

We plan on listing Smashbomb in the LCBO if it is approved and not held up Social Responsibility. So far, I'm really in love with this beer more than I was with Hoptical.

We decided to tame our Strong West Coast IPA first before we tackled the DIPA. We debated this one for hours last week.
Awesome news! If the bottles of Netherworld taste like it is does on tap, I'll buy lots of it. Looking forward to trying the IPA too, it is hard to get my dietary requirement of hops with Ontario beers.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

kwjd wrote:
peterchiodo wrote:

Awesome news! If the bottles of Netherworld taste like it is does on tap, I'll buy lots of it. Looking forward to trying the IPA too, it is hard to get my dietary requirement of hops with Ontario beers.
I can tell you that the bottles of Netherworld I had were pretty damned good.