Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Boneshaker IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

LCBO would not like the label. Remember how they banned Dan Ackroyd's Vodka Skull.

Have to swing by and pick some up. Amsterdam is close to home
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step

TJ

Post by TJ »

Swordsman wrote:LCBO would not like the label. Remember how they banned Dan Ackroyd's Vodka Skull.
If they can sell these:

I'm sure they could sell Boneshaker.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I picked up a few bottles as well and find this beer to be excellent. It doesn't present a straightforward grapefruit-bitterness assault, as has been pointed out, but has lots of interesting flavours and plenty of hops on the finish. Great work from Amsterdam. With this and the Spring Bock they have really gone up in my estimation. I'm hopeful they might be turning into another Great Lakes.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I'm heading to Toronto on Friday and I was curious if anyone knew if they still had this in stock or if it was a quick sell out like Black Oak's 10 Bitter years.

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

we have 40 cases left, but we ran out of labels. Labels should be in today or tomorrow

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I really liked this one. It seemed to be a cross between several styles - English IPA, American IPA and ESB, and I thought it worked really well. Here's what I wrote on BA:
Pours a hazy peach-orange mix with a finger of creamy off-white head. Nice retention and lace. The nose is a touch muted, but immediately brings marmalade to mind, with its zest citrus notes, though there's also a admirable biscuit malt backing.

More than anything, this seems like a cross between an American and a British IPA, and I'm comfortable with the fact that it doesn't neatly fit into one camp or the other, and in fact, its bizarrely representative of Canada. What it does have is a bracing bitterness that compares well with anything south of the border. Its accompanied by big citrus notes - mainly orange marmalade and light grapefruit - but backed with a prominent biscuity maltiness that provides a great balance. Notes of peach and mango peek through, as does the occasional hint of a floral, malty British ESB. The alcohol is well hidden.

I'm really impressed by the body, which is quite substantial for the style, and provides a depth which really boosts the flavour. Its kinda neat, because Amsterdam often have problems with carbonation, but this one really hits the mark.

Overall, a very competent ale, pitched somewhere between Plymouth and Plymouth Harbor. A style defier that's well worth trying, and a local IPA that actually lives up to the expectations of the style. Finally.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Cool label. Though you all know I don't care about labels at all, but it is nice to see interesting art work. And thanks for the tactful small pic too! :P
It is a cool label. Would not know it's Amsterdam product. I like the Eighties look of their traditional stuff, but maybe they need to get away from that a little.

Look forward to trying this hop-forward beer, go brewers!
In Beerum Veritas

bartle

Post by bartle »

This surprised me. I know that lately the quality of Amsterdam has been going way up.

The nose on this is almost non-existent... It reminds me of a good best bitter, with a lot of pronounced malt, yet being very noble hop forward. It's pretty sweet sugared cereal like.

Then the taste kind of takes a cut to the tongue. It's got a nice bite too it that the nose does not foreshadow towards. I think the flavour just comes as a huge surprise.

This is worth trying. I will pick up more or grab a pint if I see it around.

Good work on this one!
enjoi

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I had some more of this last night (thanks Eric!), and I really enjoyed it again. I'm going to pick a lot more of this up after I move. Hopefully Amsterdam will run this one out every year. Along with the Spring Bock, its my favourite offering from them!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Have to agree with Rob, this was a really pleasant quaff and certainly one of Amsterdam's best beers (also best labeling). Would gladly drink this more regularly.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

If I saw this in the LCBO I would definitely add it to my basket. I was able to grab twelve last week and it was by far the best of their brews I've ever had.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Well I certainly enjoyed my samples....I'm a little POed I didn't buy more while I had the chance to see how this cellared.

Its a big ale with abundant malts and balanced hopping to match. Floral, citrus, orchard fruits over big Amber and pale malts. Not really the over the top or off the hook west coast style some might want but a really drinkable mutant with elements of several ale styles in it.

This seems to be a trend in this market where crafters are turning out big ales something like west coast APA but a unique "NOT APA" style unto itself...some traditional UK ale character married to some US Micro ales in a big flavor package....more drinkable than the extreme APAs, more complex than standard APAs, Mellower with better hop mix than Pac-NW APAs.

I like the trend because frankly I get bored sampling another APA that is 2 dimensional with the same grapefruit over crystal-cara malts.

Now they nailed the APA class onto the DIPAs :wink:
Last edited by pootz on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Amen Pootz!!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I hope this is coming back - I managed to smash my last bottle this morning while tidying up the basement. The whole place smells of IPA.