Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Boneshaker IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Amsterdam Boneshaker IPA

Post by GregClow »

Jamie Mistry posted the following to his Twitter feed this afternoon:

"Brewed Amsterdam's first IPA - The Boneshaker"

That's all I've got for now... :)

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Could go either way couldn't it? Some of Amsterdam's recent seasonals have been great but their general quality is weak and underwhelming. Fingers crossed they've done this one right. With their healthy keg sales market it could mean more venues with decent IPA available and the further growth of the style into previously untapped (sorry) territory.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I agree, could go either way. I'm also hoping for the best.

In any case, it's another good sign for this province of ours. "IPA" is ever closer to becoming a household word — I can taste it! Or at least smell it.

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

Bone Shaker is available at our retail store - if none in the fridge please ask the retail staff. We are hand labelling them one case at a time so if none there they should be able to sticker you one up.
Cheers, Jamie

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I like this one...

Bittered with Chinook, finished with Amarillo, and has some nice biscuity malt to back it up, but it finishes dry as an IPA should.

It's unfiltered too!

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Plenty in the fridge when I was there today. Sold in single bottles so bring a bag.

Fantastic label but nothing on it to indicate it's 500ml. Get some quick before the law swoops in.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

TwoPint wrote:Plenty in the fridge when I was there today. Sold in single bottles so bring a bag.

Fantastic label but nothing on it to indicate it's 500ml.

Cause we'd have absolutely no idea by looking at it? God forbid I get 450 ml when I really want 500ml!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

TwoPint wrote:Plenty in the fridge when I was there today. Sold in single bottles so bring a bag.

Fantastic label but nothing on it to indicate it's 500ml. Get some quick before the law swoops in.
Swung by tonight at about 10:45 on my way home from work and there were no bottles in the fridge, but I asked the guy at the counter and he said they had more in the back, but they didn't have labels on them. I picked up 6, and am drinking one now. Nice IPA, very much as Derek described, and I like it much better than when I had it at the C'est What Spring Fest. I'll buy more of this as long as it is available. Still want to see that label...

TJ

Post by TJ »

velovampire wrote: Still want to see that label...
Best I could do with a blackberry camera.

Neat label, and a shoo-in for an LCBO Halloween release if ever there was one.

Anyway, I picked a couple up last night—a bargain at $3. It's not half bad. Kind of reminds me of an amped up Dead Elephant. There's a lot less grapefruit and pine than I was expecting and a lot more herbal bitterness though. The aroma is pretty weak for an American IPA. It's not a bad beer, it's just not quite what I look for or expect from an IPA.

I noticed they had the Oranje Wit in the 500 ml bottles as well.

I wondered though, seeing as Michael Hancock had Amsterdam can his Weissbier because he couldn't justify the expenditure of a minimum order of 20,000 of this style of bottle (at least, if memory serves, I think that was the reason) I wonder if he can strike a deal to have them bottle his Weissbier in these bottles? Not that there's anything wrong with the canned version, I've just never really worked out the best way to pour a hefe from a can is all.

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Cool label. Though you all know I don't care about labels at all, but it is nice to see interesting art work. And thanks for the tactful small pic too! :P
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Thanks for the pics, guys. That label is very nice! Good work Amsterdam. I'm not too picky about labels, but I do have a small selection of bottles that I've kept over the years whose labels I dig, and I'll certainly add this to the display (assuming I can get one next time I'm at the brewery).

I agree that the flavours in this IPA are somewhat muted when compared to a west coast offering, but I like it. I find the aroma to be really nice, and it has all kinds of tropical fruit (mango, pineapple), and some peachy notes too. I also like the 500 ml bottles. I'll have no trouble getting through the other 5, and I'll certainly buy more (hopefully labeled). :D

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

By the way, I'm ISO this one if there are any takers.

TJ

Post by TJ »

velovampire wrote:That label is very nice! Good work Amsterdam.
This is the Oranje Weisse, which is also a nice little label design.

Fingers crossed the Spring Bock comes back in this format with a artwork based on what's pictured here:

http://www.amsterdambeer.com/about/goodbeer

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Cool, I hadn't seen the bock graphics!

The Oranje seems a little different this year... less spicy phenolics and more clove.