Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Trafalgar Cherry Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Trafalgar Cherry Ale

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Here is my review on RB:

"Bottle from LCBO # 438- Pours medium transparent cherry red, with a fizzy pink cap with minimal lace. Nose is slightly hoppy with a blast of butter right away. I go in again to look past the diacetyl but cannot get past it. There is a bit of fruit here too, but again, the buttered popcorn is too much. No cherry. The flavour profile isn't as offensive, but that isn't saying much. I get some sweet candy-ish fruit, but nothing that says cherry, cream soda like. The butter is here as well. I get a good dose of hopping on the finish, which would really balance a sweet cherry beer if it were well made. But sadly this one isn't. Flat, thin, bitter fruit finish with butter once more. I liked the Oak Aged Rye and the Left Coast Pale, and I'd go as far as to say they were even very good when fresh. Ultimately, this is a huge step back for a brewery I was starting to have some hope in."

1.5/5

I'd say avoid this one guys and gals!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Thanks for sharing, Len. Sounds like they're back to having the same old issues. I'm less inclined to try it now.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Thanks for taking one for the team. I saw it and almost picked it up. It's frustrating that their lackluster brews are always taking up valuable seasonal shelf space.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I'm curious to know - who comprises the Trafalgar 'target market'? The brewery has the worst possible reputation among beer enthusiasts and, as far as I can tell, very few macro drinkers have heard of them. So how do they sell their beers? Who do they sell them to?

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I imagine they sell quite a few to curious types who are merely attracted by the names and labels.

Whether they ever resell is the question.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:I'm curious to know - who comprises the Trafalgar 'target market'? The brewery has the worst possible reputation among beer enthusiasts and, as far as I can tell, very few macro drinkers have heard of them. So how do they sell their beers? Who do they sell them to?

Mike,as one of the "guys behind the counter" I can tell you that for some reason, macro drinkers who occasionally try something else, will often pick up those Trafalgar offerings. And I notice they also buy a lot of 666. Perhaps the packaging is appealing?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote: I'd say avoid this one guys and gals!
biegaman wrote: I'm less inclined to try it now.
WHY?? It's a great idea for us all to buy this, and to return the 3/4 full bottle with a complaint. This brewery is in desperate need of help, and the more people submit criticism, the better.

Put another way... you can try this beer and rate it, for free, courtesy of Trafalgar. The LCBO allows you to return all bad products, or even ones you do not like. It's most useful if you can identify a fault though.

Len, you should know better! :wink:
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
WHY?? It's a great idea for us all to buy this, and to return the 3/4 full bottle with a complaint. This brewery is in desperate need of help, and the more people submit criticism, the better.

Put another way... you can try this beer and rate it, for free, courtesy of Trafalgar. The LCBO allows you to return all bad products, or even ones you do not like. It's most useful if you can identify a fault though.

Ohh I'm aware alright :)

To be 100% honest, that is why I didn't mind dropping $5.00 on the bottle. I poured one glass. Drank about half, poured the rest, recapped the remainder and returned it while at work. So yes, a "free" rate if you will and an opportunity to try something new. I enjoyed the 2 cans of Staropramen much more. :)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Belgian wrote:

Ohh I'm aware alright :)

To be 100% honest, that is why I didn't mind dropping $5.00 on the bottle. I poured one glass. Drank about half, poured the rest, recapped the remainder and returned it while at work. So yes, a "free" rate if you will and an opportunity to try something new. I enjoyed the 2 cans of Staropramen much more. :)
but you can fill those empty bombers with homebrew + sometime the grass needs a break from water :P

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote: but you can fill those empty bombers with homebrew...
Yeah sometimes there's better uses of time than returning faulty or gross-tasting products. And will complaining matter, when year after year the same 'problems' appear on LCBO shelves. Unsolved.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Mike, as one of the "guys behind the counter" I can tell you that for some reason, macro drinkers who occasionally try something else, will often pick up those Trafalgar offerings. And I notice they also buy a lot of 666. Perhaps the packaging is appealing?
You mean the 3 minute Microsoft Word Clip Art labels? Maybe the fact that they have 'bright colours' on them is what does it for some. :-? Oh well, if they're also reaching for 666 (a great beer), I guess we can't complain.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

It's funny how many local brews have poor labels when there is a glut of cheap graphic designers available in most regions. In just a few hours, with almost no requirements, many of them can put together content which is miles above what a reasonably competent hobbyist will ever produce. You'd think an outstanding label would be worth the ~$250 investment.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Ralphus wrote: You'd think an outstanding label would be worth the ~$250 investment.
sigh. ya'd think so, but try telling grand river. truly appalling labels that would be about a D minus in high school art class, and that's being generous.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Ralphus wrote:It's funny how many local brews have poor labels when there is a glut of cheap graphic designers available in most regions. In just a few hours, with almost no requirements, many of them can put together content which is miles above what a reasonably competent hobbyist will ever produce. You'd think an outstanding label would be worth the ~$250 investment.
Yeah..there is some real crap out there.

The trick... is to try. Try real hard as image is as important as the product inside the bottle. If you fail at either you're screwed.

FYI - We ususally spend between 5 and 10 grand on a product design and launch including plates/film, etc.. Mostly because we change our mind all of the f**king time. But honestly, it is expensive to get into this beer game.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

tuqueboy wrote:
Ralphus wrote: You'd think an outstanding label would be worth the ~$250 investment.
sigh. ya'd think so, but try telling grand river. truly appalling labels that would be about a D minus in high school art class, and that's being generous.
I like Grand River, they belong to 'us' and their ghetto Garagista labels are just fine be me so long as they remain so comitted to what pours out of the bottle. Independence rocks, some of the time!
In Beerum Veritas