Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Denison's Dunkel

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Denison's Dunkel

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Sampled tonight at Volo, mineral-chocolately, firm, appetizing with perfect low-medium carbonation. One of the best craft beers available in Ontario, don't miss it.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Agreed.

It seems it'll always be in the shadow of its hefe sister... but it's a truly great brew.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I've been lucky enough to have the Wheat, Dunkel, and Spezial Hell all on tap this year and I must say it has been as pleasure. All superb beers!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I love this style and Michael's is one of the best that can stand up to the Munich dunkels any day. Love it on tap but I rarely see it. I was hoping Michael would have it in bottles in wider distribution by now but it is not to be.

This market needs a good dark lager seeing how Brick has the only one in wide distribution....but that is thin and pointless.
Aventinus rules!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

pootz wrote:I love this style and Michael's is one of the best that can stand up to the Munich dunkels any day. Love it on tap but I rarely see it. I was hoping Michael would have it in bottles in wider distribution by now but it is not to be.

This market needs a good dark lager seeing how Brick has the only one in wide distribution....but that is thin and pointless.
Not exactly in wide distribution, but King's Dark Lager is wonderful as well. Though I'm sure you know this, Pootz.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Glad this came up. Had one of these at Caplansky's when I was in T.O. on the weekend, and this very well may have been the beer of the trip ahead of all the beers in the Canadian IIPA challenge at Volo. Packed with flavour and complexity for a 5% abv beer, and easily surpassed the Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel had just a few days later (though that was from the bottle far from the source).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Deni's Dunkel is the first thing I will order if I see it.

And Kind Dark is fine stuff, though it must be fresh - it does not like warm store shelf.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Spezial Hell?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:Spezial Hell?
Yeah. There was a Spezial Hell Weisse available a couple months ago. Chancey Smith's had it on tap as did a few other places I believe. It's all I drank for a month.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Yeah. There was a Spezial Hell Weisse available a couple months ago. Chancey Smith's had it on tap as did a few other places I believe. It's all I drank for a month.
You mean this? http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/denisons-s ... el/117617/

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bobbyok wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

Yep, that is the one. Delicious!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Bobbyok wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: Yeah. There was a Spezial Hell Weisse available a couple months ago. Chancey Smith's had it on tap as did a few other places I believe. It's all I drank for a month.

Pretty sure Hell means light/pale (e.g. Heller Bock vs. Dunkler Bock). So if they were calling it Spezial Hell some wires were crossed somewhere. In any case, coming from Denison's I'd like to try some.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Bobbyok wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

Pretty sure Hell means light/pale (e.g. Heller Bock vs. Dunkler Bock). So if they were calling it Spezial Hell some wires were crossed somewhere. In any case, coming from Denison's I'd like to try some.
There's no "Hell" in the name. It's just "Denison's Spezial Dunkel Weissbier", and it was on tap at C'est What on Wed.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ohh i thought it had hell in the name. who gives a shit really......delicious beer.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Ohh i thought it had hell in the name. who gives a shit really......delicious beer.
Definitely.