Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wellington Silver Wheat Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

pootz wrote:BA OTOH seems blasé about Canadian content in general, and generally ignores correction if it comes from a "Joe Blow" who is not in the tight little BA clique.... and then they take their sweet time doing it because site input is micro managed by the Bros. At least that's IMHO and experience.
Pootz, the Alstrom Brothers do not make the admin changes for Canada. If you look at this link you'll see each geographical area has its own admin, much the same as ratebeer: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/guides

If you look through the list you'll see that the local admin for Ontario is your fellow bartoweller Viggo, and if you submit a change request with adequate support for that change then he'll happily change it.

The blasé about Canada claim is absolute bullshit and I find it offensive. Asides from AB, ON and QC, I'm the admin for the rest of Canada, and I deal with changes as they come in and in a speedy manner. I like to think I'm a passionate supporter of Canadian beer - I'm a news editor on this site, I write articles on Canadian beer for Troy's blog, help sell Canada's only national beer magazine and I've donated and continue to donate a shitload of my time to help make Toronto Beer Week a reality. WTF is blasé about that? I'm also amazingly anally retentive when it comes to having the correct data and I spent a long time tracking down information to clean up all the beers under my area. I also don't give a shit whether you're a Joe Blow or Sam Calgione - if you submit a valid request for a change I'll change it.

As an aside to reinforce what's already been mentioned - admins can only make changes for beers in the areas they listed for (ie. I can't change anything in Ontario). There's a linky called a change request - if you click on that and say what should be changed and why it will be directed to the right person and they'll deal with it. Make sure you have a solid reason for the change - writing 'this is listed as an IPA, but its not as hoppy as a real IPA' doesn't cut it. We go with what the brewer says unless we hear otherwise. Sending messages to random admins may be the ratebeer way, but its not the BA way.

I actually switched all my ratings from ratebeer to BA. I find the content to be generally accurate (or at least as accurate as I want for enjoying beer), and the reviews don't read like tweets.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

cratez wrote:
viggo wrote:
cratez wrote: As I explained to you Len, I tried to fix the error as soon as I noticed it (i.e. when I actually tasted the beer), but the moderator refused to change it. Glad to see it listed as an APWA now.
Feel free to complain to the Alstroms.
Who really cares by this point? It reflects badly on the site when there's inaccurate information, but it's changed now so there's no need to make an issue of it. Plus I'm the one who wrongly labelled it a kristalweizen when I added it before tasting.
So then don't call me out on other forums
Fuckin' magnets... How do they work?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

viggo wrote: So then don't call me out on other forums
You seem intent on pushing this, so here goes: the way you dealt with this particular change request was sloven and offensive, INSISTING that it's not an APWA - when it clearly is - and calling me a "douchebag" (LOL!) for providing you with correct information. Now you've had to do an about-face and change it. That's a pretty sad process for merely ensuring that a style category is accurate.

From what I gathered in the BA vs. RB thread, it's precisely this type of behaviour that has driven so many people over to RB. Perhaps it frustrates you to hear that, but if you're contributing to the situation, you have only yourself to blame.

So, I will stop making minor complaints in other threads when you drop the attitude, do your job as a mod, and act professional. To paraphrase another Toweler:
The attitude toward input is dismissive and the mental block you get when a member calls attention to any error in style classification is "who the Fuck is this nobody?"
Recall your response when I pointed out the style error: "And so you're the apex of beer style knowledge?"

Is this your idea of community and advocacy? I sure hope not.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Bobsy wrote:
The blasé about Canada claim is absolute bullshit and I find it offensive- bla bla bla.
Please don't get into a petty pissing match with me over what I have personally experienced from that site.

Granted it may have changed ( I was disgusted and stopped contributing there a couple years ago) and granted you may be doing a good job NOW, but my opinion stands, it's based in PERSONAL experience, and I have no intention of changing my opinion based in what I know to be fact at the time. You want to be a BA booster, that's your gig. I still think the site attitudes suck IMHO...I could be obtuse and say things haven't changed as now the admins. insult you for having a dissenting opinion...but it is opinion...MY opinion ONLY...based in my person experiences... it's a mistake to be reactionary and take it so personally....particularly as you were not involved in my past gripes with the site.

BTW it was Viggo who told me about the slow process and micro management when I enquired about the mess the Canadian micros were in.

Rant off

now Fergeddaboudit!
Aventinus rules!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

pootz wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
The blasé about Canada claim is absolute bullshit and I find it offensive- bla bla bla.
Don't get into a pissing match with me over what I have personally experienced from that site.

Granted it may have changed ( I was disgusted and stopped contributing there a couple years ago) and granted you may be doing a good job NOW, but my opinion stands, it's based in PERSONAL experience, and I have no intention of changing my opinion based in what I know to be fact at the time.
In that case perhaps you should use the past tense in your original comments if your oppinion is based on the past and not the present. Oppinions based on out of date info may still have validity, but they're not as valid as those based on current information. Its like bumping into someone at a highschool reunion and expecting them to be the same people they were when they were kids.

I like to think that myself and the other Canadian admins do a good job. I can't comment on a time before I was on the site, so in that respect you may be right, and it may have been different back then. However, with the present in mind, when you say the site is dismissive of Canada, it has a bad approach to Canadians and doesn't care about the accuracy of Canadian beers, I do take it personally. I honestly don't care whether people prefer BA or ratebeer - they both have their pros and cons, and neither is perfect. I do care when people are dismissive of something I work hard on, and I think that's fair, don't you? Hopefully we can agree that while you may have found things bad in the past, people are working hard in the present to do their best and promote Canadian beer.

Honestly, I think we both realise there are more important things in life than this stupid drama between two sites based around the vaguely ridiculous idea of rating something you put in your mouth.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Forgot to mention we had this at a work tasting recently. This is about as emasculated a wheat ale one can get.
Nice that they can take an inoffensive, everybody-likes-it-already style like wheat ale, and make it LESS intense... are people supposed to be afraid of anything with one bit of flavor? Wellington are just helping keep Ontario brewing in a perpetually retarded state.

There are, what, a thousand belgian ales made in Quebec? And perhaps FOUR in Ontario, if you include the "Rochefort 3" clone from Trafalgar? As far as I can tell these belgians, stouts, IPAs and extreme-everything-else seem to sell well in Montreal because people LIKE such beers when brewer actually MAKE them.

Oh no - can't just MAKE good beer on Ontario! That's wayyy too bloody simple...

Excuse my tone today, LOL... enjoying a little too much incredible Canadian beer. Bless those brewers that try...
In Beerum Veritas

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

cratez wrote:
viggo wrote: So then don't call me out on other forums
You seem intent on pushing this, so here goes: the way you dealt with this particular change request was sloven and offensive, INSISTING that it's not an APWA - when it clearly is - and calling me a "douchebag" (LOL!) for providing you with correct information. Now you've had to do an about-face and change it. That's a pretty sad process for merely ensuring that a style category is accurate.

From what I gathered in the BA vs. RB thread, it's precisely this type of behaviour that has driven so many people over to RB. Perhaps it frustrates you to hear that, but if you're contributing to the situation, you have only yourself to blame.

So, I will stop making minor complaints in other threads when you drop the attitude, do your job as a mod, and act professional. To paraphrase another Toweler:
The attitude toward input is dismissive and the mental block you get when a member calls attention to any error in style classification is "who the Fuck is this nobody?"
Recall your response when I pointed out the style error: "And so you're the apex of beer style knowledge?"

Is this your idea of community and advocacy? I sure hope not.
Who did an about face? You originally added it as a kristalweizen. You asked me to change something that had zero reviews, and sorry, but I'm not going to take your word on something. Did you notice that as soon as reviews started coming in I changed it? Probably not, because your head is stuck up your ass.

Like I said, if you have a problem with the way its run, complain to the brothers. This is not my job, and I don't get paid for it, and I'm professional with anyone who doesn't feed me bullshit and expect me to change something without even a tiny bit of evidence or research.
Fuckin' magnets... How do they work?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Bobsy wrote:
I like to think that myself and the other Canadian admins do a good job. I can't comment on a time before I was on the site, so in that respect you may be right, and it may have been different back then.
THank you, I am right about what I personally experienced....back then
However, with the present in mind, when you say the site is dismissive of Canada, it has a bad approach to Canadians and doesn't care about the accuracy of Canadian beers, I do take it personally. I honestly don't care whether people prefer BA or ratebeer - they both have their pros and cons, and neither is perfect. I do care when people are dismissive of something I work hard on, and I think that's fair, don't you? Hopefully we can agree that while you may have found things bad in the past, people are working hard in the present to do their best and promote Canadian beer.
I'll concede things may have changed, I said I've had no interface with the site since I stopped contributing. I'll have to take your word for it until I take the time and trouble to find out for myself.

Honestly, I think we both realise there are more important things in life than this stupid drama between two sites based around the vaguely ridiculous idea of rating something you put in your mouth.
Absolutely! ...like all these ego driven spats I'm aware of the past animosities between the two sites and as usual these things are always petty in nature and come from people taking themselves too seriously. They get blown all out of proportion as it becomes an ego tussle. Personally I don't care jack shit about the politics in or between the sites, never have, but my past experiences affect my opinion and biases and as far as changing them, it is always a matter of respect or opinion change being earned. I reserve judgement until I have occasion to personally re familiarize myself with RB's inner workings. As it stands now I'm uninclined to because whether RB functions well internally now is not a driving force in my existance.
Aventinus rules!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

viggo wrote: You originally added it as a kristalweizen.
Yep, before tasting, and that's why I had no problem admitting it was erroneous once I sampled the beer.
viggo wrote: You asked me to change something that had zero reviews, and sorry, but I'm not going to take your word on something.
That's too bad, because if you did the info would have been correct (earlier).

I think most people would agree that I provided a more than reasonable account of why it IS an APWA, and is NOT a kristalweizen: "It's a filtered wheat ale with citrus notes, and it doesn't have the banana/clove/spice/phenolic character of a kristalweizen. Plus RateBeer has it listed as a Wheat Ale. The Noble hops are the only ingredient that stray from the style." Anyone who has tried the beer knows that all of these details are accurate.
viggo wrote: Because your head is stuck up your ass.
Oop! There it is again. I'm glad The Bros have placed such an objective, level-headed soul at the helm of Ontario content. You don't know me from a whole in the ground, but you're willing to make baseless insults like the one above. It's tragic that this is the type of vitriol people encounter when simply trying to furnish the site with up-to-date info. No wonder RB is more popular.
viggo wrote: I'm professional with anyone who doesn't feed me bullshit and expect me to change something without even a tiny bit of evidence or research.
LOL. I gave you a logical explanation, a link to the brewery's description, and the Rate Beer listing. If you were a bit more trusting, and didn't have some sort of axe to grind, you'd be willing to run with that without any argument. I didn't mention I had already tasted the beer - though that informed my explanation - because the site understandably wants official info that can be verified.

The bottom line is, it shouldn't be so difficult to ensure the site has correct info and, beyond that, admins like yourself shouldn't lash out at members for attempting to do so.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Tried a few sips of my girlfriend's glass at Hillside in Guelph this weekend. Sad, sad beer. Extremely flavourless. Spent most of the weekend on Tankhouse, but had a couple F&M Dark Ales and Pilsners.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

notdan wrote:Tried a few sips of my girlfriend's glass at Hillside in Guelph this weekend. Sad, sad beer. Extremely flavourless. Spent most of the weekend on Tankhouse, but had a couple F&M Dark Ales and Pilsners.

This beer needs a penis pump just to bring it up the the level of Gheyweizen.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TJ

Post by TJ »

I really had no intention of trying this one, but a buddy of mine picked up the Welly mixed pack and offered to split it, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Wow.

What a spectacularly boring beer, one of the grainiest I've tried in a long while, and just thin bodied and utterly disappointing. It just further cements in my mind that Wellington is no longer relevant to craft brewing and has pretty much stepped in line behind Sleeman and Brick. What a shame.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Yuck! I thought Trailhead was Welly's worst beer. Now I'm not so sure.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Well, I picked up a can just to see if it's really as bad as everyone says. I'll probably drink it tomorrow.

At the very least, it will be cold and wet and tomorrow is supposed to be a hot day. Even if it isn't good, it wont be a total bust.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Well, I picked up a can just to see if it's really as bad as everyone says. I'll probably drink it tomorrow.

At the very least, it will be cold and wet and tomorrow is supposed to be a hot day. Even if it isn't good, it wont be a total bust.

Currently drinking a bottle of Paulaner Weissbeer. I'd buy this a lot more often if it were available as a single 500mL bottle like the other Bavarian weissbiers at the LCBO.