Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Netherworld Cascadian Dark Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Just an FYI

http://lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/de ... ber=191965

Cascadian Dark Ale now has a product number.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

12.45 is a great price point too.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

dutchcanuck wrote:Just an FYI

http://lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/de ... ber=191965

Cascadian Dark Ale now has a product number.
just added it to my drinkvine watch list

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Ran into a Flying Monkeys employee carrying a sixer of it into the mixology lab at Georgian College (I'm studying culinary there). Asked him if they had any for sale at the brewery at the moment and he said no, but that it will be hitting LCBO shelves this week. :D Told him that I've been waiting for it since I first sampled it and he gave me one of the bottles for free.

I peeked in the lab, and it looks like the brewery was doing a tasting with the hospitality students or the second year culinary students. They had sixers of Netherworld, Hoptical, Antigravity, and Confederation lined up at the front of the room.

Good on The Monkeys for introducing craft beer to college kids who are going into the hospitality industry themselves, and thanks for that bottle of Netherworld! I never find the time to hit the brewery store since I started school, so that bottle will have to hold me over until it hits the LCBO.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

mintjellie wrote:Ran into a Flying Monkeys employee carrying a sixer of it into the mixology lab at Georgian College (I'm studying culinary there). Asked him if they had any for sale at the brewery at the moment and he said no, but that it will be hitting LCBO shelves this week. :D Told him that I've been waiting for it since I first sampled it and he gave me one of the bottles for free.

I peeked in the lab, and it looks like the brewery was doing a tasting with the hospitality students or the second year culinary students. They had sixers of Netherworld, Hoptical, Antigravity, and Confederation lined up at the front of the room.

Good on The Monkeys for pimping good beer with college kids who are going into the hospitality industry themselves, and thanks for that bottle of Netherworld! I never find the time to hit the brewery store since I started school, so that bottle will have to hold me over until it hits the LCBO.
Yes, that was Eric carrying Netherworld into Georgian college. The first batch packaged in bottles is gone so I'm really wondering where he got that six pack from (we should be bottling the small FV we have on the wall next Tuesday). The LCBO is consuming much of our supply but the store is usually a safe bet.

We are upping the late hopping and dry hopping by 20% on this next batch (brewed this morning) because we have found that hop flavour is less intense over time.

Peace,
P-

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Peter,

You've made my day :D

I really look forward to sampling the development of your new brew.

I'm always pleased to walk into my local LCBO and be able to grab a relatively fresh, no more than 4 weeks old, sixer of hoptical. It's always tasting fresh and its a solid pale ale.

With that said I can't wait to taste the Flying Monkeys take on an IPA or DIPA someday.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Checked the LCBO website --still no stores showing up as carrying this...Guess I will check the big stores first..damn living in Ajax...

TJ

Post by TJ »

mgmoney wrote:Checked the LCBO website --still no stores showing up as carrying this...Guess I will check the big stores first..damn living in Ajax...
I picked up a sixer today at the LCBO at Taunton and Brock in Whitby. If that's near enough for you.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

sweet...will check it out tonight...Hee haw

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Picked up a sixer while in Barrie earlier today and I'm drinking one right now. First off, I'd like to say that the packaging is insane and what I imagine a bad acid trip to be.

Anyway, beer pours a very dark brown with a long lasting light tan head. Excellent lace. Nose has grapefruit, coffee grounds, tobacco, some burnt malt. Neat flavour - for my personal preference I would have taken it bigger on both the hops and the malt intensity, but I think this will do quite well amongst both the beer community and those looking for something different. Bitterness is there, but I'd say less than a beer like Southern Tier's IPA. A good dose of hop flavour at the top of the palate that combines nicely with some coffee and burned notes. Its admirably drinkable for the style. Decent body and carb.

So while its not wild and out there by a beer geek definition, I do think this is an excellently balanced ale and a credit to the brewer. I'll be buying the occasional sixer once it makes it into T.O.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobsy wrote:I'll be buying the occasional sixer once it makes it into T.O.
It has - I picked one up at Atrium on Bay today.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

picked up the last 6 pack at Whitby and Taunton yesterday-LCBO employee bought the second last one after I told him about it...Anyway had one last night...fantastic stuff...agree with above post wished the hops intensity was a little more intense but none the less great stuff at good price..now how to find more of this stuff to get me through next few months...

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

In case you missed it, it sounds like the next batch is on track...
peterchiodo wrote:
We are upping the late hopping and dry hopping by 20% on this next batch (brewed this morning) because we have found that hop flavour is less intense over time.

Peace,
P-

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Perhaps it will make it to Niagara by that time so I can grab a sixer. I'm really looking forward to this and will purchase some the next time I'm in the GTA.

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

i had this on tap back when it was a porter and really enjoyed it. however the first two bottles out of my 6pack tasted like bland homebrew. very disappointing.