Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Netherworld Cascadian Dark Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I had a bottle of Netherworld yesterday afternoon and it was quite good. It was my first Black IPA, so I don't have much of a basis for comparision, but I would definitely buy it again...

duncan

Post by duncan »

velovampire wrote:Awesome! Can't wait for this one in bottles, perfect timing for fall. Love the name too - reminds me of the Wolves in the Throne Room album "Black Cascade".
Exactly what I thought. Metal + Beer = FTW

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Interesting article on the subject of Cascadian Darks /IBAs

http://www.alestreetonline.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=45

‘Black and Bitter,’ — True Origins of Black IPA
Written by Jack Curtin
Friday, 06 August 2010
When the Brewers Association added the style popularly known as Black IPA to the Great American Beer Festival guidelines for 2010 and officially designated it as American-style India Black Ale, brewers in Vermont breathed a sigh of relief.
They have been concerned for months that a campaign by individuals in the Pacific Northwest to have the style named Cascadian Dark Ale would deny credit to one of their own, legendary brewmaster Greg Noonan of Vermont Pub & Brewery in Burlington, who died of cancer last October.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Is this available to purchase at the brewery?

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

elproducto wrote:Is this available to purchase at the brewery?
It won't be available until next week--maybe this Friday if things go really really well.

PC

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

NRman wrote:Interesting article on the subject of Cascadian Darks /IBAs

http://www.alestreetonline.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=45

I think I'm with Ron on this one... there are very few truly new things in brewing:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010 ... k-ipa.html

So what's new? 80% of North America's hops are grown in 'Cascadia', and the newer varieties provide the dominant flavours. I think 'Cascadian' is a fine name. No disrespect to Noonan (who truly was a pioneer, icon & inspiration to many), but I doubt he was using hops grown in Vermont!

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

duncan wrote:
velovampire wrote:Awesome! Can't wait for this one in bottles, perfect timing for fall. Love the name too - reminds me of the Wolves in the Throne Room album "Black Cascade".
Exactly what I thought. Metal + Beer = FTW
Yes sir!

I'm planning on listening to the new Sword album tomorrow while I brew my first AG batch a DFH 60 min clone.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Peter, I'm in Barrie tomorrow. I'll stop by, I really hope you have some of this avail!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

elproducto wrote:Peter, I'm in Barrie tomorrow. I'll stop by, I really hope you have some of this avail!
Stop by The Local, down the street from The Monkeys at Dunlop & Maple, near the bus terminal. Use a pint of Smashbomb to wash down some curried chicken!

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

mintjellie wrote:
elproducto wrote:Peter, I'm in Barrie tomorrow. I'll stop by, I really hope you have some of this avail!
Stop by The Local, down the street from The Monkeys at Dunlop & Maple, near the bus terminal. Use a pint of Smashbomb to wash down some curried chicken!
Well, no Netherworld available, according to the very lovely young lady at the brewery it has all been consumed for the LCBO sampler pack.

I did stop by the local, but it wasn't open (11:30?). Too bad.. was looking forward to some smashbomb.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

elproducto wrote: Well, no Netherworld available, according to the very lovely young lady at the brewery it has all been consumed for the LCBO sampler pack.

I assume the sampler referred to here is this -
206847 / Ontario Craft Brewers Discovery Pack - Holiday Edition / $11.95 / 6x341 / new

from this post
LCBO Holiday Gift Packs & Ales 2010
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6034

Anyone know:
- when will it be available?
- what other 5 beers are in it?

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

That's an interesting article on Black IPA. I had participated on some discussion about the style on Jack Curtin's blog not long ago, but it's the first time I've seen his extended article on the subject.

It basically confirms my understanding of what Black IPA is: a beer made from a mixture of dark and pale malts and flavoured with NW hops (Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Amarillo, etc.). I'm not sure I follow the part how this is different from an American porter or stout though. Porter and stout are made from pale and colouring malts or unmalted cereals sometimes although these can be used in other beers too including pale ale. A writer is quoted stating that Black IPA is less "heavy" than porter or stout, but I'm not sure what that means. Maybe it means that modern porter has a rich malty body and IPA does not. IPA traditionally was less full than unaged porter, but today pale ale attenuation is all over the map. And correlatively, porter in the 1800's was often described as a non-sweet drink, which today generally is not the case because it is not long-conditioned anymore. Maybe he means that Black IPA is not as intense a porter taste as most porters have; that makes more sense to me.

If you consider that Black IPA should have a lightish body but have dark colour and U.S. hops, then it appears to be similar to an American half and half, i.e., half (any) porter, half APA. In this way of looking at it, Belgian's suggestion on another thread that this kind of half and half is like a Black IPA is correct. Perhaps then the first brewers of Black IPA were trying to duplicate that blend.

But another kind of Black IPA is where the stout or porter element dominates but there is an APA-type hopping. I felt Durhams' excellent Black Eye was of this type. Or if you blended 2/3rds porter and a potent APA or double IPA, a similar taste would result.

The beer would merge however with some of the porters made in the last 30 years in the U.S, which have strong American hop presence. It's all rather complicated... Maybe it is such a porter but less "heavy" in the sense of being less roasty and chocolately than those porters generally are, but that's a question of degree.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I think the 'style' is differentiated by the hopping (>40IBU and WAY more finishing hops of the American variety). Basically an IPA that is no longer 'pale'.

There are American Ambers that are quite hoppy, but I'd say the style runs from India 'Brown' Ale to well-hopped black brews, which do tend to have more finishing hops than most historic porters & stouts (and the Cascadian flavour to boot).

The idea may have evolved from the black & tan... but these are much hoppier, no?

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Will this be available in sixes at the brewery? Those Discovery packs usually suck.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Gary,

I just want to let you know that I greatly enjoy your informative posts on this forum. You are a king amongst men.