Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier 2XIPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bonesey

Southern Tier 2XIPA

Post by Bonesey »

Thanks to R&R for the order! Pours a clear golden with a creamy white head. Aroma is of grapefruit and sugary breakfast cereal. Taste is sweet with some spicy hops in the finish. Very smooth and crisp. Could use a bit more hop aroma, but this is one refreshing IIPA. I'd reach for one to slake a thirst, which can't be said of most 8% ABV offerings.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I found it a little too sweet for my liking. To me a IIPA should have a firm blast of hop flavour and bitterness but hopefully well balanced.

I didn't prefer this to say Great Divide Hercules, Stone Ruination, etc.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Anyone in T.O. have a bottle they want to swap for a nogne o imperial stout or some of the half pint burly wine?

wilco

Post by wilco »

Bobsy wrote:Anyone in T.O. have a bottle they want to swap for a nogne o imperial stout or some of the half pint burly wine?
I can hook you up. Send me a PM.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

For what its worth, when I was at the brewery the 2XIPA was not intended to be an imperial or double IPA persay, but fit somewhere in the middle between their standard IPA and their more hoppy juggernauts like Gemini.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

wilco wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Anyone in T.O. have a bottle they want to swap for a nogne o imperial stout or some of the half pint burly wine?
I can hook you up. Send me a PM.
PM sent!

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

This is my favourite of their IPA's. Hoppier than their standard IPA, but not as ridiculously sweet as Hoppe, Gemini, Iniquity and Unearthly.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

cfrancis wrote:

I wouldn't disagree with that, but I do prefer it to the standard ST IPA, as I find it more refreshing and crisp.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Bonesey wrote:
cfrancis wrote:

I wouldn't disagree with that, but I do prefer it to the standard ST IPA, as I find it more refreshing and crisp.
I should try them side by side. I had the 2x on tap in New York and then had the Great Divide 16th anniversary right after. Completely different taste between the two IIPAs.