Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Devils Pale - different hops

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

maple99 wrote:I've got the J on hand and I think it is great.
j was great, i must have had almost a case of it and every j was awesome.

grabbed 3 k's last night and its not even close to the same beer. k has a sweet muted nose and the flavour was full of diactyl. came off as very rushed from kettle to can.

Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

anybody had this again lately? Wondering if its ok to pick up or still having quality control issues.
thanks.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

All my cans since the reformulation have been solid, including the one I had last week.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

I must be alone here, as I found the overuse of crystal malts and C hops to be a sickly combination.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

I've been loving it ever since they switched up the formula. I've noticed over the last 2 or 3 months though that they've stopped printing the date of production on the cans. Rather on the bottom now, each can in a flat seems to have a different number marked (not printed) on the bottom of the can. Anyone else notice this? Know how to read the production date now?
Not sure why they changed this, my only guess is to speculate the LCBO didn't appreciate them printing thier own messages along with the date on the bottom of the cans, since they're so strict with preapproved labeling and all that

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Grabbed some cans of the "new" Devil's Pale Ale while in Winnipeg earlier this week.

While there is now some american hop flavour, the beer is still nothing more than a toffee bomb.

I remember stating on BT when I first tried this beer that I thought it had more in common with a scotch ale than a pale ale. I brought the "new" version to a tasting last night, and the very first comment from another taster was, "this tastes more like a scotch ale than a pale ale, lemme see the can!"

I don't know what it is with Ontario "pale ales." I can taste chocolate in Tankhouse for cripes sake.

notdan

Post by notdan »

markaberrant wrote:Grabbed some cans of the "new" Devil's Pale Ale while in Winnipeg earlier this week.

While there is now some american hop flavour, the beer is still nothing more than a toffee bomb.

I remember stating on BT when I first tried this beer that I thought it had more in common with a scotch ale than a pale ale. I brought the "new" version to a tasting last night, and the very first comment from another taster was, "this tastes more like a scotch ale than a pale ale, lemme see the can!"

I don't know what it is with Ontario "pale ales." I can taste chocolate in Tankhouse for cripes sake.
With the exception of Black Oak, which is pretty pale (as far as I can recall), this just seems to be how Ontario Pale Ales are made... Tankhouse, Devil's Pale Ale, Cameron's Auburn, Duggan's IPA, Hoptical Illusion (looks darker than it tastes, but still). A moderately hoppy amber ale seems to be a prerequisite for OCB.

Not to say I don't love these beers, particularly Devil's Pale Ale, just sayin'.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

notdan wrote:
markaberrant wrote:Grabbed some cans of the "new" Devil's Pale Ale while in Winnipeg earlier this week.

With the exception of Black Oak, which is pretty pale (as far as I can recall), this just seems to be how Ontario Pale Ales are made... Tankhouse, Devil's Pale Ale, Cameron's Auburn, Duggan's IPA, Hoptical Illusion (looks darker than it tastes, but still). A moderately hoppy amber ale seems to be a prerequisite for OCB.

Not to say I don't love these beers, particularly Devil's Pale Ale, just sayin'.
if Flying Monkeys Smashbomb and Great Lakes Canuck can hold there current form and hit lcbo shelves as they currently are we will have the first two ontario made american style pale ales with wide distrobution.

neither are even close to an "ontario pale ale"

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I had a pint of this recently at C'est What, and I liked it. I loved the previous incarnation which was more citrusy, but this one I found to have a much larger hop presence.
Kinda wish though that they would settle on a definitive version.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Malcolm wrote:I had a pint of this recently at C'est What, and I liked it. I loved the previous incarnation which was more citrusy, but this one I found to have a much larger hop presence.
Yeah, it isn't a bad beer, but to call it hoppy or a pale ale is quite a stretch.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

markaberrant wrote:
Malcolm wrote:I had a pint of this recently at C'est What, and I liked it. I loved the previous incarnation which was more citrusy, but this one I found to have a much larger hop presence.
Yeah, it isn't a bad beer, but to call it hoppy or a pale ale is quite a stretch.
Not really. This was a fresh pint, not a can, and I found the hops to be fairly prevalent. But who knows what the next batch will be like?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Malcolm wrote:This was a fresh pint, not a can, and I found the hops to be fairly prevalent. But who knows what the next batch will be like?
This can actually be part of the fun of craft beer!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

markaberrant wrote:
Malcolm wrote:This was a fresh pint, not a can, and I found the hops to be fairly prevalent. But who knows what the next batch will be like?

The Magic Hat philosophy! :lol: