Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Favorite Pumpkin Ale looking forward to?

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Lots of Pumking in Aurora - I'll be cracking one open tonight

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Garthicus wrote:I just grabbed the last 2 bottles of Pumking @ the St.Lawrence Market LCBO
I think there were more in the back. I grabbed a few there at about 2pm today and there were several still on the shelf. Excited to finally try it.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

For TO based Towelers, I was excited to find some Grand River Highballer Pumpkin yesterday at Queen's Quay. Didn't look like there was many left...

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

biegaman wrote:For TO based Towelers, I was excited to find some Grand River Highballer Pumpkin yesterday at Queen's Quay. Didn't look like there was many left...
I grabbed the last of them on the shelf today (in case anyone was planning on making a trip there just for them).

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Love the Pumking...there is something sythetic about huge flavor engineered beers like this but, dammit this just works! Like a liquid slice of pumpkin pie...nutty baked pastry tastes and all...freaky!
Aventinus rules!

heebes

Post by heebes »

very happy to find the Pumking at my rural local!
that and nasty habit, gonna cut a slice here soon...

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Was happy to find Pumpking at my local bo. But was unhappy with the beer. This was a complete mess. Almost no aroma except some pumpkin flesh and tortilla chips.
Tasted sweet, of roasted pumpkin flesh, no spices, corn bread and tortilla chips........a bit of bittering hops towards the finish.

Cratez can agree, this one is certainly a disappointment. We shared the beer and both struggled to finish half a bottle each.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Found Pumking to be almost eggnog like in flavour. Still enjoyed it however.

Didn't like the St. Ambroise at all....it's very sweet and reminded me of a cola.

So far my favs this year(and the only other ones I tried) were GR Highballer, GL Pumpkin and Taps Brewing Pumpkin Pie.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Pumking is great. A bit strong at first, but the ABV and flavorings give it a real texture and a nice kick. I enjoyed it more the second time I picked it up.
In Beerum Veritas

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

I enjoy Pumking but like a few of the big beers from Southern Tier I would rather split the bottle with someone.

heebes

Post by heebes »

same here, Pumking to me was pretty tops as far as the style. beats any ON offering i've tried...that said, the bomber style is a bit much.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I'm with Steelback; didn't care for Pumking at all. These special ST beers are quite unique and not to everyone's taste I guess. I found I couldn't drink more than a small glass of the Creme Brulee as well. On the other hand, I loved the Choklat.

Yapper

Post by Yapper »

Finally, I thought i was the only person who didnt like PUMKING. Thought my taste buds were broken. Ive tried it the last 2 years, forcing it down.
Love pumpkin beers though.
(1st post)

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

My first impression of ST Pumking was that they must add either an aqueous pumpkin extract or spray-dried pumpkin powder post-fermentation. I can't think of any other means by which they could get that raw pumpkin flavour into the finished product.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

heebes

Post by heebes »

although around here it isnt such, all my buddies and myself enjoy the Punkin the most.