Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Favorite Pumpkin Ale looking forward to?

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Favorite Pumpkin Ale looking forward to?

Post by Belgian »

I'd say Great Lakes beats out most of them, and it's local!

I also find St. Ambroise Citrouille really different and original. Citrouille from last year is still drinking well but just starting to smooth off a little more. That's a must-find beer. My first tasting of it:
Drank 15º C. Immediately sexy wine-like and enjoyable. Aromas of sweet malt mingled with spice and warm squashy aroma. Very different layers of flavor going on, with almost a tiny bit of gueuze-like beautiful musty sour feel over the late finish. Also some cola, citrus, spice. Not as "pie-like" as the others, and shows less grassy hops (which ordinarily fight the added spices). Could certainly be pumpkin in there, sure... but this is irrelevant, what we’ve got is a very seriously tasty beer. Buy shiploads if you see it.
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

I'd agree with you - the St. Ambroise Citrouille is pretty unique, although I did find it a bit too sweet to have more than one at a time.

I really like the peachiness of GRB Highballer, but it's a shame it won't be in LCBOs like last year.

I like Pumking as well (though not as much as many on here), and will be buying some of that when it shows up.

The clear winner for me for all-around drinkability and flavour is GLB's Pumpkin Ale. Looking forward to buying lots of that this fall.

I know many think of pumpkin ales as gimmicky, but I really like the style. The only one I'm not crazy about is Brooklyn's Post Road - not a bad effort, per se, but with many superior options available, I'll likely give it a pass this year and focus mainly on GLB and to a lesser extent ST.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Right, I also forgot about Mill St. Nightmare on Mill St, which slots in just below GLB for me. I'll buy growlers of this from the brewpub.

So, to reiterate:
1) GLB Pumpkin - regular buy
2) Mill St. Nightmare - regular buy
3) ST Pumking - occasional buy
4) GRB Highballer - would be a regular buy if in LCBO, probably will make a trek out to the brewery some time in late Sept./early Oct. to buy a case.
5) St. Ambroise Citrouille - nice, but probably won't buy much with the other options available.
6) Brooklyn Post Road - decent enough, had last year, got the tick, won't re-buy.

Man, I'm getting excited for pumpkin ales!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Southern Tier Pumpking has declined slightly over the years but is still in a league unto itself. I like the rest but its almost like comparing apples and oranges.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Grand River, in a very close vote over Great Lakes. Both are superior efforts IMO and I look forward to having them both back. Will try some of the U.S. ones that are coming to the 'BO for the first time. I'm not a fan of the St. Ambroise.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I think the only truly disappointing pumpkin beer I had was DFH Punkin. Confusingly similar to Pumking in name but have not tried the ST yet!!!!

The Grand River Highballer was quality the few times on draught, but good luck finding a particular GR beer.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

From this side of the country, can't wait for:

Howe Sound Pumpkineater

Alley Kat Pumpkin Pie

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale, whenever the importer gets the bright idea to bring some of their other offerings north of the border. Probably never.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Grand River Highballer is my favorite, and I believe it WILL be in the LCBO for thanksgiving. I was in the brewery today, and it has already been brewed.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

carguy wrote:Grand River Highballer is my favorite, and I believe it WILL be in the LCBO for thanksgiving. I was in the brewery today, and it has already been brewed.
Here's hoping! It wasn't on the Autumn Ales or Hallowe'en Beers release list, so I just assumed it was a no-go at the 'BO this year. Hope I'm wrong...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

the GR highballer was amazing the first year but i found 2009 just to be "good". the great lakes pumpkin ale is my session pumpkin ale. always consistent and a classic version of the style. but the one im the most excited for this year is Pumpking. its certainly not one to drink multiples of but it makes a perfect night cap for the time of year.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

St Ambroise Citrouille is out. Was at Broue Ha Ha yesterday and it was on the shelves.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I am a fan of the emerging "Black Pumpkin" style, a blending of porter or stout and pumpkin ale. I like generally a 2:1 blend respectively; the stout should dominate with the pumpkin squash and spices coming through. St-Ambroise Citrouille and any good porter or stout is perfect. There are one or two American craft brewers who make this, which is where I got the idea. Mfunk9786's review below captures the taste and quality perfectly:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8325/33205

Brewery's own description:

http://capeannbrewing.com/ourofferings6.html

Until we get something like that here, I'll blend my own.
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:the GR highballer was amazing the first year but i found 2009 just to be "good".
I wonder if they were playing with the 'balance' and went a bit too middle-of-the-road - I tried the beer first in 2009 and while it was very good I was expecting to be more awestruck by this GR seasonal.

Maybe GR will tweak it up again this time, they are perfectionists after all...
In Beerum Veritas

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

can't wait to try all the pumpkin beers from the halloween release, was actually thinking of home brewing one myself but better make sure i appreciate the style before i'm stuck with 5gal.