Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Saranac Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jaymack

Saranac Pale Ale

Post by jaymack »

Sorry if it's been posted it already but I just found this one at my LCBO in Burlington.

Not a bad little beer. Modelled as a British style P.A., slightly fruit, copper colour, very clear. Not the best I've had, but I'll enjoy my 6-pack nonetheless.

Cheers

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I posted on it under "summer lawnmower ales". I like it too. Nice fresh batch. The twist, or marketing niche on this pale that makes it stand out in a sea of micro pales, is the layered malting and melding of US-UK styles in the profile by using a Hop mix of Cascades & East Kent Goldings.

I heard it described as "bland" by the alpha cult (probably because it runs at 38 IBU as opposed to the +65 IBUs the cult demand) but all rhetoric and skewed judgement aside it is a decent good drinking full flavored craft pale....one of the better US commercial micro pales IMHO.
Aventinus rules!

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I agree with you pootz. It is a great beer for the price. Its too bad some people judge before tasting.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I enjoyed, but I'll support the Hoptical in that price/style
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

icemachine wrote:I enjoyed, but I'll support the Hoptical in that price/style
I agree with you Ice, local crafters first...they always get my first choice dollar (given the quality is there). I buy Hoptical when I see it. If I don't....there alternatives, this is one of them.
Last edited by pootz on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A fully decent session Pale with English class and some American sass. Not a hop monster that wants to kill your mama.
In Beerum Veritas