Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sink the Bismarck

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

peterchiodo

Sink the Bismarck

Post by peterchiodo »

I had it for the first time on Wednesday at Chanceys.

For a High gravity beer.....No....a high gravity IPA.....one word...
Brilliant!!!!
Need I say more?

I prefered it over Penguin and Tokyo, too.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I had two samples of it , and I agree, Peter.
It seemed to appeal to a wider range of folks too. A lot of people did not like the Penguin because it was very peaty/briney, but I actually like those qualities as I love Islay malts.

Obviously I couldn't drink a lot of Bismarck, but it was a very rewarding experience.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Milos

Post by Milos »

I admit to being VERY unsure about both TNP and STB. But they both just blew my mind!
Kudos to Martin and James for delivering brand new style of high alcohol intoxicant.
My world is now complete :evil:
So many beers and so little time!!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I found myself uncharacteristically enjoying this hyper gravity IPA. Once the novelty of an over 100 IBU hyper beer passes you get into discovering some complex tastes achieved through process.

As I said before it's an experience no beer geek should deny themselves.

James has innovated brewing process with this monster IPA. Whether it gains mainstream credibility as a well crafted example of hyper brewing or dies as a boozy novelty will be decided by the number of brewers who are impressed enough to jump off the hook and try something similar.
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

peterchiodo wrote:
I prefered it over Penguin and Tokyo, too.
Not me... I loved the Tokyo's complexity enough to commit to buying it routinely when I see it....the STB came second but , for me, would be a "must have" for any complete beer cellar.
Aventinus rules!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I must've been the only one who didn't enjoy it. Here's my review on BA:

C+ / 3.2
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | drink: 3

1.5oz sample shared with Nick Baird. Thanks brother! Pours an opaque orange with zero head and lacing, which isn't surprising for a beer of this weight. Smell and taste are strong, nose-burning ethanol, pink grapefruit, pine and citrus, mango, crab apple, brandy-like middle, ultra bitter hops, and a very hot, alcoholic finish. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, bold spiciness on the tongue, astringent and citric bitterness, huge boozy heat warms the insides and hangs around for quite some time. This has a decent level of complexity, but it's ultimately a booze bomb, and I can't say I'm a fan. Glad I got to try it though.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I loved this beer! I wish I was at Beer Bistro on Tuesday to try this again. I tried it back in March or April... did they brew this again? I wonder if the hops faded at all if it was from the same batch. Though it was the hoppiest beer I've ever had, so it could hold up after a bit of age I suppose.