Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka Harvest Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Muskoka Harvest Ale

Post by matt7215 »

tried this last night and was very impressed. the malt body was extremely fresh and the hopping balanced it out perfectly.

a great beer for the season and easily the best beer ive had from Muskoka.

im curious if Gary has tried this and if so how he thinks it compares to the October beers of the past. it certainly has a "barley wine light" feel to it.

Muskokan

Post by Muskokan »

matt7215 wrote: im curious if Gary has tried this and if so how he thinks it compares to the October beers of the past. it certainly has a "barley wine light" feel to it.
Thanks Matt...glad you enjoyed. I know I've been drinking my fair share if it lately. the 100% Ontario barley and the Ontario hops used in the dry hopping gives it a really nice flavour.

Looking at numbers this morning, if the LCBO doesn't re-order this, we'll be out in 3 weeks.

I'll get a response from Gary from you and will post.

Cheers,

Mike

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

matt7215 wrote:tried this last night and was very impressed. the malt body was extremely fresh and the hopping balanced it out perfectly.

a great beer for the season and easily the best beer ive had from Muskoka.

im curious if Gary has tried this and if so how he thinks it compares to the October beers of the past. it certainly has a "barley wine light" feel to it.
I tried it last night on tap at one of the Duke pubs downtown... I really enjoyed it as well. Was pleasantly surprised to see it. I picked up a couple of bottles to put on the table at Thanksgiving.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Feature posted on Harvest Ale, with the news of their next seasonal:

http://www.bartowel.com/?p=1278

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

is this newsworthy?

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

really enjoyed this beer when i picked up a bottle the other night. will pickup more for sure.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

northyorksammy wrote:is this newsworthy?

Sure it is.
Anytime a brewery is taking big steps to up its game, I think they deserve some publicity.
Plus, Cass runs the site, so he could post what he had for breakfast in the news section and it would be newsworthy. :P :P
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Cass wrote:Feature posted on Harvest Ale, with the news of their next seasonal:

Double-chocolate cranberry stout. That does sound interesting.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Just did a review of it, and it is really really good. Nice malt sweetness and killer dry-hopped aromas and flavours. Great balance, great body. Just go buy it. Buy lots, you'll want more.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Gedge wrote:

i dont know why we cant get an 8% stout on our shelves before a double-chocolate cranberry version but im still looking forward to this brew.

thankfully i still have Grand River and Wellington close by so i can still stock up on "normal" stout for regular winter drinking

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

matt7215 wrote:
Gedge wrote:

i dont know why we cant get an 8% stout on our shelves before a double-chocolate cranberry version but im still looking forward to this brew.

thankfully i still have Grand River and Wellington close by so i can still stock up on "normal" stout for regular winter drinking
Last years John By was over 8% IIRC
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

icemachine wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Gedge wrote: Double-chocolate cranberry stout. That does sound interesting.

every bottle i had was infected :(

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

matt7215 wrote:
icemachine wrote:
matt7215 wrote: i dont know why we cant get an 8% stout on our shelves before a double-chocolate cranberry version but im still looking forward to this brew.

every bottle i had was infected :(
I've got a couple left I think, haven't had one in a month or more though
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

icemachine wrote:
I've got a couple left I think, haven't had one in a month or more though
i had a 2008 6.7% version this summer that was sublime but i was 0/4 in '09.

i do love john by when its on so hopefully it comes back strong in 2010

also BBCS greatly decreased the need to gamble on the Scotch Irish

Milos

Post by Milos »

we will be tapping Harvest Ale most likely early next week for London area fans to try.
So many beers and so little time!!