Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka Harvest Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

carguy

Post by carguy »

I had the Harvest Ale yesterday. I was very impressed. Great Beer.

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

Muskoka has made good beers previously, but this Harvest Ale is a real step up for the brewery and hopefully for the entire Ontario craft brewing scene. This is a beer that helps raise the bar. It is very fresh, well balanced, has a great look and a very nice nose.

Kudos to Muskoka.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

Milos

Post by Milos »

Finally tapped a keg yesterday and it instantly became a hit. Cheers to everyone in Bracebridge. Harvest Ale rocks and the new batch of Netherwold is the best ever.
I guess lotsa good is brewing in northern countries :P
So many beers and so little time!!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

The current batch of Muskoka Weisse is drinking really well too. It was a pretty good weissbier to begin with, but the last few cans I've had have really been top notch.

heebes

Post by heebes »

really great - loved this

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Milos wrote:Finally tapped a keg yesterday and it instantly became a hit. Cheers to everyone in Bracebridge. Harvest Ale rocks and the new batch of Netherwold is the best ever.
I guess lotsa good is brewing in northern countries :P
I have to agree with you Milos, the draft version is definitely more intense/flavorful, with a more rounded character and softer mouth feel....dunno why but it is...I like this ale and have cellared a few bottles Ibut prefer the kegged product.
Aventinus rules!

duncan

Post by duncan »

Had this finally last night. Didn't like the aroma hopping. Imparted a too strong floral, and soapy note. The rest of the beer was great, once you guzzled back enough of it to ignore the soap flavour.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

duncan wrote:Had this finally last night. Didn't like the aroma hopping. Imparted a too strong floral, and soapy note. The rest of the beer was great, once you guzzled back enough of it to ignore the soap flavour.
I noticed the swing top on mine was a little loose. Could push it sideways and let CO2 bleed off. Something I've not seen on any other swingtop, have to wonder if that could be a factor.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

duncan

Post by duncan »

For the sake of it I did google 'soapy' taste. Not much out there in hows, and whys. Just alot of theorizing. Most answers speculate that the trub in the primary is being broken down into fatty acids by the acidity of beer.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Had 2 last week. The bottle was great and the Cask at C'est What was evenb etter.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

loved it..real step up for Muskoka...Love the swing top and big bottle format as well...Have a few cellared away for Christmas turkey with cranberry sauce..yumm

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

https://www.facebook.com/muskokabrewery
2011 Version
Harvest Ale countdown....available at the brewery only on August 22nd. Rest of the world on September 1st.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

This is one beer I really look forward to seeing again

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

can't wait, fantastic beer.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Gorgeous design!!!

I know what's inside matters most, but I don't think any other brewer visually tempts me more than Muskoka.

Also - I've noticed that with the new logo, they've dropped the "cottage brewery" tag.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John