Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka Harvest Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The Great Gatsby

Post by The Great Gatsby »

I think this version is better than the last two years. A much brighter, cleaner and more citrusy/floral hop profile than previous years. Finish is also much cleaner. I think the bitterness is balanced a bit better than previous versions as well; more bready sweetness on the finish.

Really nice. Worth trying even if you weren't gaga over the earlier vintages.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Great Gatsby wrote: gaga over the earlier vintages.
A popular Muskoka word! Are you the guy keeping verticals of Summer Weisse "Vintages" for a future 'the way beer dies' tasting? ;)

All goofing aside this Harvest Ale is really good on tap, looking forward to this harvest's Harvest.
In Beerum Veritas

The Great Gatsby

Post by The Great Gatsby »

[/quote] A popular Muskoka word! Are you the guy keeping verticals of Summer Weisse "Vintages" for a future 'the way beer dies' tasting? ;) [/quote]

No. But I guess my last post was "written in an obsolete vernacular" ;)

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Bahahhahahahah!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Great Gatsby wrote:I guess my last post was "written in an obsolete vernacular" ;)
Naw, it's just funny the Summer Weiss has the 'vintage' boldly on the front label. I imagine some guy with thousands of cases in his cellar, expecting a big return on the investment.
"Mmm, Rogue Hazelnut Brown from 2004, an excellent year!"
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Was going to post something similar last night its really quite good and punched up this year...though I struggled to finish th bottle.
The Great Gatsby wrote:I think this version is better than the last two years. A much brighter, cleaner and more citrusy/floral hop profile than previous years. Finish is also much cleaner. I think the bitterness is balanced a bit better than previous versions as well; more bready sweetness on the finish.

Really nice. Worth trying even if you weren't gaga over the earlier vintages.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Grabbed a pint of this the other day at Bros Beer Bistro and I while it was good, I preferred last years a bit more.

Maybe I was such a fan of last years that I'm remembering it to be better than it was, but for me last years was great. This years is still good, just not as good as 2011
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Getting a keg of this in a couple days - can't wait!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Still working on yesterday's bottle! Good hit of attractive fruit in the aroma and taste, citrus, some great cereal tones, and a bitter-citrusy hop thing going on that I like. Some honeyish malts. Sure it ain't Sierra Nevada Harvest or a Stone Anniversary, but it is a giant leap for brew-kind.
In Beerum Veritas

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

I was surprised by this one last year, and enjoyed it again this year. I have no idea how you guys can compare year on year taste. I knew what to expect this year so I wasn't surprised by it but it is a very nice ale plus the more swing top 750's I can score the better.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Here comes the 2013 Harvest Ale.
I remember when this was released in 2010 and how good it was and how much it upped the game at Muskoka.
Amazing it's been only 3 years. Ontario beer has come a long way!

From Muskoka's facebook
Guess what we bottled yesterday and today!! Sneak peek available at retail store only for a sample. Hoping to have it for sale at retail store only.... by the weekend. With the weather today it feels like fall!!!!!

Streets

Post by Streets »

Caged and corked? Haven't these always been flip tops in the past? Just seems like an odd choice for a beer that I assume still has a mid range abv and is meant to be enjoyed fresh...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Streets wrote:seems like an odd choice for a beer that I assume still has a mid range abv and is meant to be enjoyed fresh...
My thoughts exactly.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Streets wrote:seems like an odd choice for a beer that I assume still has a mid range abv and is meant to be enjoyed fresh...
My thoughts exactly.
corked and caged makes it taste more .rar

is it going to be up to $9.95 this year?????

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cork and cage is probably cheaper than a flip top, I'm only guessing.

They could just stick a cap on it, like La Chouffe does. I've heard those work well.
In Beerum Veritas