Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Alexander Keith's Harvest Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I've already subjected myself to the horror of Keiths Dark. This can't be any worse. I'd give it a go if I came across it.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Is this out in Nova Scotia? My brother is down in Cape Breton for the nest week and I told him to look out for it.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Just seen at The Beer Store that the 24's of Keiths IPA has a 473 ml man of Harvest Ale included. I can't justify buying the 24 bottles of IPA to get the 1 can of Harvest Ale that I am curious to try!!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

phirleh wrote:Is this out in Nova Scotia? My brother is down in Cape Breton for the nest week and I told him to look out for it.
Showing up in a few stores now. Haven't seen any myself, but the listings here show it in a few Cape Breton stores:

http://www.mynslc.com/Products/PID-1012385

Given the volumes they're showing for both single cans and twelve packs, I think we can confirm there's no way this is coming from the old brewery.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Lecocq wrote:Just seen at The Beer Store that the 24's of Keiths IPA has a 473 ml man of Harvest Ale included. I can't justify buying the 24 bottles of IPA to get the 1 can of Harvest Ale that I am curious to try!!
it'll also be available on draft in some places in ontario, b.c. and of course n.s.

wilco

Post by wilco »

Tried this last night at the Pour House (Dupont and Spadina). Didn't know whether to have high or low expectations. Definitely lots of malt. Nice robust amber colour, roasted malts and a little nutty. Really thin though, with a weak chocolate finish. Very little hops, especially when served at really cold temperature. It's okay, but finishing the pint seemed like work. But coming from a brewer like Keith's, this is really surprising (especially considered how they routinely butcher styles). Doing a blind tasting with similar beers like the Wellington Dark would be an interesting experiment.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

wilco wrote: Doing a blind tasting with similar beers like the Wellington Dark would be an interesting experiment.
I had a Welly Dark (County Ale) last night at Opera Bob's. Still held it's own but I sure wish I could find it on cask somewhere, as that's where it really shines.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Tried the Keith's Harvest tonight. I can't even give it a "pretty good for Keith's" rating. This is Keith's plus enough brewer's caramel to put it between the Red Amber and the Dark. Either that or a blend of those two. Without even trying it I put Moosehead's Cask Ale ahead of this attempt by Keith's in the "faux craft" wars.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Bobbyok wrote:Without even trying it I put Moosehead's Cask Ale ahead of this attempt by Keith's in the "faux craft" wars.
I'm reserving judgement until the release of Rickard's Quad.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Just had it on draft. Indeed it does taste like it might be a blend of other beers made by Keith's. It's okay - well made commercial beer - but doesn't offer much of interest for craft beer devotees IMO.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I tried it last night and def was not impressed. Had a bizarre metallic after taste that could have been from the tap or lines so I will try again if I'm ever offered a bottle.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

For any London and area Towellers who are interested in trying this beer, it's currently on tap at the city's resident fake Brit pub, The Waltzing Weasel. Cheers

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Had this earleir in the week. It's drinkable, moreso than most keith's. Not a horrible abomination like Keith's dark. But not worth "sekking out" either.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah, Keiths introduces any new beer to 'Harvest' your money.
In Beerum Veritas

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

and take advantage of what "ale"s you