Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Samuel Adams Oktoberfest

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Samuel Adams Oktoberfest

Post by pootz »

Just in at the Gummint dairy bar.

...Yeah I know it's a Jim Koch commercial offering, but don't overlook this decent Boston Marzen. On the money for style adhesion...amber-orange, decent cap and lacing, full flavored...toasty-sweet front with good noble balance and a dry finish....possibly just a tad thin for the style , but WTF good for a bottled marzen.

A decent fest beer for quaffing
Aventinus rules!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Seemingly one of the sleepers of the season with all of the attention surrounding the 'official' Fall and Halloween releases and given that it quietly slipped onto the shelves without warning. Yet it's appeared twice now in London and sold out in one day on both occasions. Either some pretty solid brand loyalty to Sam Adams around here or the local DrinkViners are getting in and snatching up the rare stuff instantly. Here's my review on BA:

B / 3.75
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 4.5

355ml bottle from a six pack purchased at the LCBO. Pours a clear amber hue with orange highlights and one finger of cream coloured head. No lace on my glass. Smell and taste are herbal, grassy, and slightly floral hops, biscuit, bread crusts, caramel, toasted oats, a honey-like sweetness, cereal grains, and a crisp hop spiciness to even things out. Mouth feel is creamy, medium, foamy carbonation, some bite on the palate, drying semi-sweet finish. A tasty, satisfying and easy drinking O-Fest, which is exactly what the style calls for. Not as good as the top tier German marzens, but definitely something I would buy again.

Milos

Post by Milos »

Stay tuned. It is coming to a friendly bar in London as draught.
So many beers and so little time!!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Milos wrote:Stay tuned. It is coming to a friendly bar in London as draught.
E-mail me Milos...I'll be in for a "session" ...hope you got another fest marzen on and at least 1 black lager....you'll have to sweep me out of the place in the early AM 8)
Last edited by pootz on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

Milos

Post by Milos »

With pleasure. There is Hacker Pschorr Marzen, some more of NSB 456 and "some draught" stuff from Publican and Church Key.
So many beers and so little time!!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Milos wrote:With pleasure. There is Hacker Pschorr Marzen, some more of NSB 456 and "some draught" stuff from Publican and Church Key.

I hope Dudley knows you need some fresh weisswurst, Bavarian potatoes and apple cider kraut with these :wink:
Aventinus rules!

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Has the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Not bad, a little underwhelming. No real depth of flavour. Not realling a traditional fall warming, beer. Will have to wait for the Winter Offerings from Sam Adams...