Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Paddock Wood 606 IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Paddock Wood 606 IPA

Post by mgmoney »

Phenomenal stuff...quite hoppy, great length and finish. Had it with Vindaloo and it is a perfect match for spicy foods. Czechmate from Paddock Wood also amazing...great with a lemon pepper fillet of sole..

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Haven't found the czechmate yet - but I agree the 606 is great with curry.

carguy

Post by carguy »

I picked up a sixer of each the Czech Mate and the 606 at TBS @ Willow and Silvercreek in Guelph.

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

Had both last night. Both are great examples of their styles. Both are very drinkable.

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

anyone else had problems with the paddock wood brews? I grabbed a 6 of each (both with an Aug. 4 bottling date). 4 of the 6 czech mate were great, but the other 2 were infected by a weird off flavour. The first 3 606 all had this same off flavour (and aroma, one of which was a gusher) but it was even stronger, to the point they had to be drain poured. The rest of that 6 will be returned to TBS tomorrow for an exchange. This is the same off flavour I have picked up in the past from Scotch Irish brews, and most recently in the last bottle of a 6 of Titan IPA. Disappointing. I certainly wont be buying anything from Paddock Wood again.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Hawks28 wrote:anyone else had problems with the paddock wood brews? .
Nope! Been chipping away at a local supply of both brews and not an off taste in the lot. This BS outlet is a refrigerated walk-in....that might make a difference.
Aventinus rules!

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Hawks28 wrote:anyone else had problems with the paddock wood brews? I grabbed a 6 of each (both with an Aug. 4 bottling date). 4 of the 6 czech mate were great, but the other 2 were infected by a weird off flavour. The first 3 606 all had this same off flavour (and aroma, one of which was a gusher) but it was even stronger, to the point they had to be drain poured. The rest of that 6 will be returned to TBS tomorrow for an exchange. This is the same off flavour I have picked up in the past from Scotch Irish brews, and most recently in the last bottle of a 6 of Titan IPA. Disappointing. I certainly wont be buying anything from Paddock Wood again.
I've just had the same problem with the Czech Mate. I've been alternating for the last 5 weeks between Czech Mate and 606 with this weekend's being the third 6 pack I've purchased of the former. Until this weekend I had no problems. On Friday I had 2 CM and they were great as usual. Yesterday, the first one I opened was off. I struggled through about a third of the bottle before pouring it down the sink. I opened another and it was fine. I've just opened the fifth of the six pack and it is also off. I could tell before tasting it as the usual aroma wasn't present. It has a medicine/chemical kind of taste. With only one left I don't know whether to open it or just bring it back to TBS. At this stage I doubt they'll give any kind of refund for two opened bottles with a sip out of each! With this beer costing over $13 a 6 pack it makes it even more disappointing.

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

I e-mailed the brewmaster from Paddock Wood and they are aware of the problem. They are working on it.

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

pootz wrote:
Hawks28 wrote:anyone else had problems with the paddock wood brews? .
Nope! Been chipping away at a local supply of both brews and not an off taste in the lot. This BS outlet is a refrigerated walk-in....that might make a difference.
mine were also bought at a refrigerated walk-in store.
I've just had the same problem with the Czech Mate. I've been alternating for the last 5 weeks between Czech Mate and 606 with this weekend's being the third 6 pack I've purchased of the former. Until this weekend I had no problems. On Friday I had 2 CM and they were great as usual. Yesterday, the first one I opened was off. I struggled through about a third of the bottle before pouring it down the sink. I opened another and it was fine. I've just opened the fifth of the six pack and it is also off. I could tell before tasting it as the usual aroma wasn't present. It has a medicine/chemical kind of taste. With only one left I don't know whether to open it or just bring it back to TBS. At this stage I doubt they'll give any kind of refund for two opened bottles with a sip out of each! With this beer costing over $13 a 6 pack it makes it even more disappointing.
It probably depends on TBS you go to and the employee you deal with. I returned a 6 with 3 full and 3 empty, and had to argue my way to a 6 of St. Ambroise Pale. When I walked in he immediately said I could exchange it but they expected me to take another 606, which I said wasnt happening. Then they complained that I cant just drink 3 beers and return it without expecting to pay anything. I was then told, for reasons I still cant figure out, that they are not twist offs. Yeah, no shit. They than told me that the beer was supposed to have large chunks of sediment and taste like that. They seemed pretty pissed off about it, but eventually they gave in, and reluctantly allowed the exchange.

Back to the Paddock wood beers. Seems like consistency is an issue. Obviously plenty of people have had no problems with this stuff. I will likely give them 1 more shot, if I see a fresh batch (and at a different beer store), because I did really like the 4 czech mates that were okay, and on the first 606, I kinda got an idea of what it should've been. One more bottle like those last 2 606 I tried, and I'll be done with them.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Getiing the same thing here. Bottled Aug 4. It's difficult to me to say with any certainty, because the strong hop bitterness is getting in the way, and because I often have no idea what I'm talking about, but to me this tastes like a serious case of oxidation. Or soap. Either way.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

I decided to open the last Czech Mate. It turned out to be fine. So 4 out of 6 were good. I just checked the box and mine too was packaged August 4.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

We bought 3 - 6s last week end and finished one this Sunday watching CFL. No off tastes. The other 2 sixes are deligated to quaffing on this week end's East west CFL championships. I left them out of the fridge on purpose leaving them sit at room temp and will chill them before the game to see if that produces any off tastes.
Aventinus rules!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

London and area Towellers will be glad to learn that this beer and the Czech Mate Pilsner are hitting the city next week, thanks to Paddock Wood's super generous and responsive founder, Steve Cavan, and some prodding on my part. I'm very excited to get more of these ultra premium micro brews in my fridge. :D

EDIT: the beers will be available at the Hyland Centre Beer Store on Richmond Street, in the north end of the city. Cheers!

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

cratez wrote:London and area Towellers will be glad to learn that this beer and the Czech Mate Pilsner are hitting the city next week, thanks to Paddock Wood's super generous and responsive founder, Steve Cavan, and some prodding on my part. I'm very excited to get more of these ultra premium micro brews in my fridge. :D

EDIT: the beers will be available at the Hyland Centre Beer Store on Richmond Street, in the north end of the city. Cheers!
Good job. Let us know when they are in and I will make a trip

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:London and area Towellers will be glad to learn that this beer and the Czech Mate Pilsner are hitting the city next week, thanks to Paddock Wood's super generous and responsive founder, Steve Cavan, and some prodding on my part. I'm very excited to get more of these ultra premium micro brews in my fridge. :D

Figures. I leave town and then it shows up. Bah!

Thanks for the update Mikey.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!