Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ölvisholt Lava

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Ölvisholt Lava

Post by pootz »

It's out. I loved it, better than I expected..... but I'm interested to see what Bar towelers thought of it
Aventinus rules!

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

pootz wrote:It's out. I loved it, better than I expected..... but I'm interested to see what Bar towelers thought of it
I'm drinking it right now and enjoying it quite a bit. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it as my only drain pour beer I can remember was the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier as I'm just not a fan of that level of smoke flavour. It's subtle enough in this stout for me to enjoy it. It sort of reminds me of a smoked version of the Wellington RIS.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Cale wrote:
pootz wrote:It's out. I loved it, better than I expected..... but I'm interested to see what Bar towelers thought of it
I'm drinking it right now and enjoying it quite a bit. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it as my only drain pour beer I can remember was the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier as I'm just not a fan of that level of smoke flavour. It's subtle enough in this stout for me to enjoy it. It sort of reminds me of a smoked version of the Wellington RIS.
Yeah I wondered about how people would take the smoky component of this RIS (which to my taste is quite toned back, but then I love Schlenkerla) I think it adds a decent new dimension to the standard RIS profile.
Aventinus rules!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I found the smoke element very subtle and well integrated. This is one of the best things the LCBO has brought in for a while IMHO (they've been doing a semi-decent job lately, no?), definitely worth at least a try. I think it's an ideal winter beer. Just a really nice evening drinker.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Quite rich, packed with flavors, reveals subtle layers, value for cost.

Love to see the lager come back.
In Beerum Veritas

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

I am not a smoked beer fan so I was sceptical at first, but the smoke element is very subtle and the beer is a delight.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

Yello to Mello

Post by Yello to Mello »

Having it now, the posters above are right that the smoke is subtle. I am a fan of smoked beers.
The Maple Leaf Lounge (Canadian whisky forum): http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com/forum ... .php?f=204

carguy

Post by carguy »

I really enjoyed it.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

It's a gr
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:It's a gr
You can say that again!

Seriously though I loved it, a fantastic beer and one I will be picking up many more of.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I like these reports and am very interested to try this. A touch of smoke seems characteristic of historical porter (or many of them anyway) since brown and amber malts were kilned often on hardwood. Straw, and coal in its smokeless form, were also used, and when wood was employed, malsters were advised to ensure the wood was dry so it wouldn't emit large volumes of smoke and impart off-flavours. So a touch of smoke seems consistent with this. I found a bottle today at Queen's Quay and will try it later this week.

Many northern European strong stouts are excellent including Sinebrychoff Stout, Carnegie's (which is 5% ABV but retains a "character" of a double stout style), and even Carlsberg makes one that is pretty good.

I recall an Imperial I tried at Gingerman from Denmark, the name starts with a F I think, that also was first rate. These lands all imported English porter in the 1800's and I believe have retained the knowledge of a good traditional strong version. I am not excluding Polish and other East European versions, all of which seem (the ones I've tried) a tad sweeter than the others mentioned but certainly have their merits. Baltika's is good too, I can't understand why that hasn't appeared by now available in six packs.

Glad to see Russian Gun out again and I bought one of those as well, I'll taste them side by side.

Gary
Gary Gillman

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Finally caught up with this one, excellent!

Gary
Gary Gillman

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

500ml bottle from the lcbo. pours black with a small tan head. smokey aroma over ripe red apple, and roasted malt. flavour start with big malt, smoke, chocolate and coffee, with a nice layer of fruitiness. wow. big, long rich and complex. world class.

duncan

Post by duncan »

I skipped on buying a bottle of this last time I was at the likbo. Based on these reviews I gots to get me a bottle.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

duncan wrote:I skipped on buying a bottle of this last time I was at the likbo. Based on these reviews I gots to get me a bottle.
Based on a NNNN 4/5 review in today's NOW I would haul butt to get a few bottles right now. They will be gone when (I imagine) the Shiraz-drinking Yuppies descend on the LC the nezt few days (God bless 'em for experimenting & supporting our kind of beer.)
In Beerum Veritas