Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Trafalgar Patrick's Pick ESB

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Trafalgar Patrick's Pick ESB

Post by JesseM »

Has anyone been brave enough to try this yet? Is it actually a new beer or is it rebranded Elora ESB?

I haven't been able to try it yet. My local placed it on the shelf right next to the back-from-the-dead Maple Bock, which brings back these horrifying memories, and I just end up vomiting.

carguy

Post by carguy »

I saw this as well, but this year I am not giving Trafalgar any of my money, for all the abuse and dissapointment they have given me in the past.

Yesterday I had a bottle of the Bock, which was given to me for my birthday by a well meaning, but mis-guided friend. The lable was way above Trafalgar standards, looking almost classy. The beer wasn't bad actually, but it wasn't a bock. I would have guessed it a dunkel or a schwarzbier.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Hey buddy. I think it is a re-brand. I'm not 100%....more like 95%. They do a lot of rebranrd including changing the name of their beer for elections and that sort of thing. I'm guessing it is Elora ESB.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I did try a bottle of this a couple of weeks ago, holding my breath for a decent ESB. It was a confusing beer - not the type of hops I would've expected in an ESB, having a rather astringent quality.
It wasn't a drain pour but it wasn't enjoyable, or close to an ESB.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I don't see any Trafalgar ESB showing up in the system, just the Elora so I would guess its a rebrand. I had an almost drinkable can of the Elora lager, considering the bottling issues they do have, I'm not sure why they don't move to an all canned lineup.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

icemachine wrote:I had an almost drinkable can of the Elora lager, considering the bottling issues they do have, I'm not sure why they don't move to an all canned lineup.
I believe their canned product is brewed and canned at Wellington Brewery.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah I saw this and thought 'hmm, nice marketing ploy for St Paddy's!'

It's the other 364 days of the year they could work on a reason to buy it.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I won't take a chance with this rebrand. Porter is fairly good, and the Black Creek Porter brewed there is really nice. But the Elora brands are usually rank.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Like most Trafalgar proeucts, I'll pass. I had the Elora ESB a few times and never cared for it.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

I bought a bottle this week. My receipt said Elora ESB.

It tasted OK, but I won't be rushing back for more, not with the new releases waiting.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Trafalgar snuck this one through with Elora ESB's product number, but this is a different beer. It is certainly not the same beer from the last OCB discovery pack.

To be honest aside from the slight buttery smell this was a fairly decent brew for the 3.95 it costs, I might not buy it again but it was the first Trafalgar product I finished.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

PeenSteen wrote:Trafalgar snuck this one through with Elora ESB's product number, but this is a different beer. It is certainly not the same beer from the last OCB discovery pack.
Are you basing that based on confirmed information or just based on tasting it?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

JerCraigs wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:Trafalgar snuck this one through with Elora ESB's product number, but this is a different beer. It is certainly not the same beer from the last OCB discovery pack.
Are you basing that based on confirmed information or just based on tasting it?
just by tasting it, the one in the OCB discovery pack was bottled at Flying Monkeys (I know right?) and that was on confirmed information

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Interesting. My understanding for the OCB pack was that the brews were brewed at their respective breweries and bottled in one place - or have I got that wrong?

It probably wouldn't shock most people to learn that packing it elsewhere might affect the taste... I think I am going to proceed with the assumption that its the same recipe unless told otherwise.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Yes, FM is brewing and packaging that one....probably why it tastes good. It's essentially a new beer.
I also think that Peter and crew are brewing the Black Creek Porter if memory serves correctly......hell, they've got the capacity, might as well!