Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Very Angry with Dugan's Number 9 IPA Beer

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SexyM_love

Very Angry with Dugan's Number 9 IPA Beer

Post by SexyM_love »

First off let me say that I absolutely love Duggan's Number 9. It was the best flavored beer to get, when you only had $10 bucks, and were craving beer.

So today my fiance and I went into our LCBO, to get some beers. We picked up a six pack of Duggan's Number 9 and some other beers. When the cashier rings in the Duggan's, to my surprise Duggan's came up to $11.95. I asked the cashier and she said that they rose up their price just last week. This would be fine if the bottles weren't only 275mL. I always figured it was cheaper because of the smaller size... but I guess not.

Why the heck would I spend $11.95, for a six pack of 275mL bottles... when a regular six pack is the exact same price... and you get more beer. :D

Duggan's is definitely a beer that I wont be going to often.

:evil:
Sexy Em

- "Experience Can Not Be Taught"

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

Wow, definitely shocked by this too. I'm not the biggest fan of this beer but i definitely enjoyed it enough over the year when i'd happen to be making a downtown beer trip. Always loved I could pick up a single if need be for a toonie and actually get change back, and ya a 6 pack under $10 was always nice. I thought the slightly smaller format too put them in a nice niche in the ontario beer selection, even the global beer selection at the LCBO (only other smaller bottles I know of are Coronita and Grolsch Lemon). A slight price jump is one thing, but 20% is pretty abrupt.

Is price entirely set by the brewer, or does the LCBO have some control when it comes to this? (wouldn't be surprised if Social Responsibility thought the simplicity of the name and single-digit price point was too inviting to children and toddlers learning their numbers)

Streets

Post by Streets »

I hadn't noticed that (20%!) increase, but it looks like Duggan's is off my list too. I only bought it occasionally since it's the only 'IPA' my local store stocks, but from now on I'll drive the extra distance and pick up Southern Tier for 80 cents more!

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Duggan's was off my list the moment I took a sip.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Everything I've tried from Duggans has sucked with the exception of their stout.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

There's probably some lame-ass explanation, that is on par with how lame-ass Duggan's seems to be. Jesus-tap-dancing-christ :roll: .

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

i always enjoyed the #9 when i had it but it's been a while. i found the smaller bottle size a real turn off tbh and at this new price it's not a real attractive buy.

i believe they contract brew through cool brewing, maybe there is more to the price increase then just profit margin?

just out of curiosity, what's the big turn off for most people that don't care for this beer?

tg

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

bufordsbest wrote:
just out of curiosity, what's the big turn off for most people that don't care for this beer?

tg
A lot of us seem to find their beers to be mediocre-at-best, over-priced, coming in lame size formats, and just generally not worth it.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'll pass on the 9, but the porter and his pilsners are world-class. The sorachi is good too... looking forward to that one getting into the LCBO.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Bobsy wrote:I'll pass on the 9, but the porter and his pilsners are world-class. The sorachi is good too... looking forward to that one getting into the LCBO.
Though 275ml is an odd size for a lager...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I have also found their brew pub prices have jumped to 'real pint' prices despite the smaller glasses they still have. They used to have appealingly low prices for their small servings. But now, a 16oz glass comes to around 8 bucks with tax and tip. Given that a foamy pour can seem like barely 14.5-15oz, the new pricing is a volume equivalent to paying over ten bucks for a 'real' 20oz pint. For a house made beer no less...

I still like Duggan's beers a lot, but might be sticking to half pints - and reluctantly I quit on the bottles. My hopes are/were very high for this brewpub, and the kitchen's great, so I really do hope the price increases do not mean Duggans are struggling financially.
In Beerum Veritas

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Tried a bottle of #9 last night for the first time. Bottle date was Feb 22.

Absolutely zero hop aroma. Had some bitterness, but that's about it. A very lame IPA.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Belgian wrote:I have also found their brew pub prices have jumped to 'real pint' prices despite the smaller glasses they still have. They used to have appealingly low prices for their small servings. But now, a 16oz glass comes to around 8 bucks with tax and tip. Given that a foamy pour can seem like barely 14.5-15oz, the new pricing is a volume equivalent to paying over ten bucks for a 'real' 20oz pint. For a house made beer no less...

I still like Duggan's beers a lot, but might be sticking to half pints - and reluctantly I quit on the bottles. My hopes are/were very high for this brewpub, and the kitchen's great, so I really do hope the price increases do not mean Duggans are struggling financially.
Seriously? Ridiculous (the cost of a pint now). I'll never go back. Beer Bistro is right around the corner, and C'est What? isn't far either. I do like his porter a lot, but I can live with Fuller's from the 'BO.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

markaberrant wrote: Absolutely zero hop aroma. Had some bitterness, but that's about it. A very lame IPA.
Aside from *maybe* the first couple batches its never really been an IPA. Its definitely more of an APA in the vein of Tankhouse (although according the the radio Tankhouse is now advertising itself as an "amber beer")

I don't mind the #9, I find the German Lager to be very good when its at its best. The Porter and Stout are pretty solid but neither style is one I drink frequently.

The pricing news is a bit disappointing though. If I am feeling spendy beer bistro is, as noted, right around the corner. I haven't been to either place recently though. Duggan's seemed to be pretty busy my last couple visits?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Rent in that area of town must be pricey. Had a Duggan's #9 last night and was wishing for the other #9 instead. This beer has really fallen off.