Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Creek Pale Ale (bottle)

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

Bought my bottles in Guelph, and while I found it decent, there was something funny, someone said 'minerally', and I agree. Wouldn't buy more. Thought the porter was excellent though.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Drinking this one right now and I agree with the previous comments that this has a very unpleasant, almost abrasive, hop bite to it that completely dominates the palate. I am debating whether to even drink the second half of this pint. Not good.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

I really liked the hop bite in this beer, which i didn't find overbearing in anyway. I had it a few weeks ago, but I remember being quite pleased with it and have plans to pick up some more in the near future. I hope that it's as good as I remember it being...
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

It is a great beer. Once you go black you never go back.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

B+ / 3.8 rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Hazy copper red with loads of off-white foam on top. Very little lacing. Smells mostly of pine with subdued citrus and toasty malt undertones. On the palate, theres a big hit of leafy and citric (tangerine) hop flavours. Light diacetyl note is complementary, not distracting. Powerful bitterness lingers long into the finish. Somewhat light in body with an oily, resinous mouthfeel. It's good to see more Ontario brewers crafting ales that can serve as a proper hop fix.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Glad I picked this up, it's a good drinkable pale ale. Needs a litte work but still something I will purchase more often when available in the beer wasteland that is Sudbury.
We can get drunker than this!!

The Great Gatsby

Post by The Great Gatsby »

I just tried this for the first time right now and it is much more bitter than what I expected when I saw it on the shelf.

It is decent but I can pick out the iron / mineral taste on the finish that others have mentioned. I was really underwhelmed with the aroma. Lots of rindy / resiny hop bite in the taste however.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I bought a bottle of this a day after I polished off a growler of IPA that I picked up at the historic brewery. I was quite surprised at just how similar the two were. Perhaps a bit more of the metal taste in the bottle than the jug.

I am not sure if the recipe is exactly the same but I would have thought the differences in how they were made would make each unique. Both were very good but I wish I'd waited a while between the growler and the bottled version.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Had a bottle last night, didn't care too much for it this time around.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Hoptomology

Post by Hoptomology »

I LOVE this beer!
The aroma when you open the bottle is awesome IMHO.
Anyone take a stab at what type of hops they might be using? I read somewhere they use 3-4 varieties. I'm getting a little taste of the Sgt. Major IPA flavour which I believe uses Chinook... I'm thinking maybe some Cascade in there too...... ??
Also booked a "Brewing with the Brewmaster" day in July which should be fun. You have to get dressed in 'historically appropriate clothing" which should be hilarious, but hey, what the hell, I'LL BE BREWING! ha,ha
The beer they sell at Black Creek is actually made there,(not the same as what Trafalger brews for the LCBO) all aged in casks and unfiltered. I belive they use a small cool ship to cool the wort and then have it drain into one of the casks. They have a couple other styles too, a stout and an IPA. Can't wait to try them! they still have spots available throughout the summer if anyone's interested in brewing with them for a day. I'm going to write up a post about it afterwards just in case there's anyone interested in seeing what went down....
www.hoptomology.com
A little about life, A lot about beer.

Stop by and share your brewing expertise!

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

My wasteland of an LCBO has a ton of this.. and being the only hophead in a 100km radius i should probably grab some. I'm all for resin/dank and it sounds like this might have it.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Well, I picked up a few for the weekend.

Nice hop presence.. but it's all wasted on the thin body, and weird metallic flavoring.

Hoptomology

Post by Hoptomology »

funny, I've heard a few people mention the 'metallic-y' taste, but I'm yet to taste it myself.There was mention of a few bad batches floating around, so maybe that was it, or perhaps my taste buds are just wired, or maybe I like metal, who knows... haha
I'm liking it though....

:)
www.hoptomology.com

Hoptomology

Post by Hoptomology »

Just opened one up myself, and I see what you mean. the last two I've had have tasted very different. Metallicy/bitter taste. Almost like it's going bad or someting. NOT AT ALL like the ones I've had in the past, perhaps just a bad batch, or someone was sleeping on the job. Hopefully it's only a few, because the ones that were good are REALLY good....
www.hoptomology.com

Hoptomology

Post by Hoptomology »

just had my brewday with Ed Koren, brewmaster at Black Creek Historic Brewery. Lots of fun!!

http://www.hoptomology.com/2011/07/11/b ... c-brewery/
www.hoptomology.com